Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of chain lube do you use? Or what kind of chain lube do you think is best for your bike?

·
Registered
78 Posts
i use sum motormaster chain lube.. its super sticky and feels like the chain is really smooth.. its an aerosol can.. i think pretty much any motorcycle chain lube would work fine..

·
Registered
118 Posts
Plain old 80/90 weight gear oil is usually recommended. These are not o-ring chains.

This is what the head tech at DC Minimoto recommended I use on mine.

Roy

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
does it drip/splat everywhere??

Gravel-Fun said:
Plain old 80/90 weight gear oil is usually recommended. These are not o-ring chains.

Roy

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I've been using Motul chain lube on my cag but if you don't clean the chain often with the cleaner it tends to bind. It works great and is smooth but I don't recommend using this stuff by just applying it everytime you ride since it builds up. Spray it on and wait 15min. After that it's like wax and is smooth as hell.

The guy I bought my DM from recommended me to use an oil type bicycle chain lube or just 30 weight oil which makes the chain last the longest. He said not to use motorcycle type chain lubes cause it will cause the chain to bind and yes it does, it happened to me. I used to use Motorex bicycle chain lube and it worked great but it didn't like to stay on the chain long, it flings al over.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i think wd40 is only good for cleaning the chain and helps keeps it from rusting

·
Registered
118 Posts
djrice69 said:
does it drip/splat everywhere??
It's not bad. You can use WD-40 to clean the chain. WD-40 works great to clean off the wheels and parts that do get splattered with lube. Just spray and wipe with cloth or paper towels.

To clean the chain, spray chain with WD-40 when it passes the top of the rear sprocket. Spin the rear wheel a few times in both directions while spraying. This will help get out any dirt and old lube. Allow to dry thoroughly (like when you're done for the day or will not ride for hours), because WD-40 breaks down the oil and chain lube.

The next day, before you leave, lube the chain by poking a small hole in a bottle of gear oil, rest the tip of the bottle on the chain where it passes the top of the rear sprocket. You can get a nice controlled flow that way. When the chain returns "wet" to the "oiling point" , stop applying oil, and reverse the direction you were spinning the wheel. That way you are sure to get the lube worked in really well.

Hope this helps.

Roy

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thnx :thumbsup: ...any one else?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Gravel-Fun said:

Roy
Where can you get 80/90 weight gear oil?
Autozone?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have used PJ1 it works pretty good but its messy. I noticed that when the chain is warm it doesnt fling off.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts