Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working on this thing for 2.5hrs and cannot get my chain to track right.

This is a 49cc cag.

I have played with the adjusters up down and sideways out the whazoo with no luck.

I even tried adjusting the motor itself with no luck.

What am I doing wrong? I can get it close but not close enough. I can rotate the tire 1 revolution and everything feels good right up until that revolution is almost complete then I can feel the chain get somewhat tight and bind a little bit, but then it frees right back up. It keeps doing this.

I believe the chain has been replaced once before if that matters. Would a chain that's a little too long cause any problem other than having to screw the adjusters in more?

Also should both adjusters be adjusted the same amount? Because if I do that then it doesn't make the chain tight. I always have to have one adjuster tighter than the other.

Im getting fed up.

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
try aligning the chain with a straightedge....on all my cags the adjusters were never adjusted evenly to get the rearwheel straight...........

Make sure the sprocket is centered on the hub and the sprocket has no bends that would make it track back n forth.........

·
Git R Dun PBracer
766 Posts
None of my adjestor line up right on all my bikes. 2 x2's CAG x1. I used a string or a laser pointer to line up mine. Have you spun the rear wheel with no chain on it to see if the rear sprocket wasnt out of line or alittle bent?

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
The chains are a Big Pain in the Rear, forsure. These frames are never straight, don't worry about how much thread is sticking out the chain adj. nut. Make sure the wheel and gear are straight. Old chains have loose and tight spots, if you adjust it on loose part it will be to tight on the tight part or vise versa. Which means it's time for a new chain. You need the pinion gear lined up with the rear gear. I have had to put a shorter axle spacer & add washers to move the rear wheel to line up with the engine.
When I change to a new engine in one of my Cags it was 1/4" over to far, it made the chain jump. Even though they look the same outside, they can be alittle different. Easier to move the wheel than the engine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the tips guys. I'll have to take another look at it in a couple days. I'm actually in the hospital right now.

I don't think i can get a laser straight edge between the rear sprocket and the tire. I want a straight line form the outside of the rear sprocket to he outside of the pinion gear correct?

BTW the rear sprocket is Brand New. As far as the chain goes its not the original. It is not rusted that I can see. Where do you tihnk I could find a 05t chain locally?

I know of no shops around here that sell pocket bikes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
try aligning the chain with a straightedge....on all my cags the adjusters were never adjusted evenly to get the rearwheel straight...........

Make sure the sprocket is centered on the hub and the sprocket has no bends that would make it track back n forth.........

What do you mean centers on the hub? The sprocket can only go on one way using the three bolt holes.

·
Git R Dun PBracer
766 Posts
As for buying a new chain. I think the baja that Tractor Supply sales uses the 05t chain. I know they have a few differnt chains you can buy. They have 2 types in the same area where they sale parts for baja bikes and gokarts. If they dont have it i would hit up ebay.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As for buying a new chain. I think the baja that Tractor Supply sales uses the 05t chain. I know they have a few differnt chains you can buy. They have 2 types in the same area where they sale parts for baja bikes and gokarts. If they dont have it i would hit up ebay.
We don't have a tractor supply here.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Sounds like you have a egg shaped sprocket or a bent pinon which both will be fine than tight and loosen when turned.

I would start by taking a good look at the pinon while turning the rear wheel to see if its bent. Than I would change the back sprocket

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
On my avatar lucky 7, and the blue demon engine, I first ran in it the pinion gear was 1/4 to far out. I changed motors and never checked to see if they lined up. I thought all the engines were the same to find they can vary from one factory in China to the other. Anyway, the alloy head 15:1+ crank engine was wild, and I revved it up on the stand, and the chain climbed off the bottom of the rear gear, it rip the 3rd bearing cover off and one tooth of the 7 pinion gear & messed up the clutch housing bearing, and ran real bad after that. I pulled the engine to find the crank was twisted 1/4", it was costly, when all I had to do was re-space the rear wheel 1/4". ie., do it right the first time. The engine in L7 now has the same cases but new bearings & seals, and has been blue printed, is a $75, free shipping eBay kit, a 5 port, FC crank.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
On my avatar lucky 7, and the blue demon engine, I first ran in it the pinion gear was 1/4 to far out. I changed motors and never checked to see if they lined up. I thought all the engines were the same to find they can vary from one factory in China to the other. Anyway, the alloy head 15:1+ crank engine was wild, and I revved it up on the stand, and the chain climbed off the bottom of the rear gear, it rip the 3rd bearing cover off and one tooth of the 7 pinion gear & messed up the clutch housing bearing, and ran real bad after that. I pulled the engine to find the crank was twisted 1/4", it was costly, when all I had to do was re-space the rear wheel 1/4". ie., do it right the first time. The engine in L7 now has the same cases but new bearings & seals, and has been blue printed, is a $75, free shipping eBay kit, a 5 port, FC crank.
I haven't had a chance to look at the bike because im still inthe hospital.

However, I did spin the pinion gear without the chain on it and i do not see any wobble in it. The rear sprocket, like I said is brand new because I thought the old sprocket was bad (I was having same chain problem with the old sprocket) So I know its not the rear sprocket.

This bike does not use a 3rd bearing.

Note that this is an old pic. I have since fixed the engine mounting bracket as it is installed wrong in the pic. Or at least I think it is. I'm thinking the bracket that comes off the engine goes behind the frame bracket.

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
As long as it keeps the engine from vibrating and bouncing around. I had one with no upper mount and it vibrated so much, the bored out carb and thin gasket got pounded down till it leaked. I use rubber/steel 1/4" ID & 5/8" OD / 6mm washers between the frame and the top engine bracket. there like 20 cents US each, use them between the body and frame too, keeps the plastic from cracking.

·
PBP SENIOR M!LKER
2,445 Posts
Get well Soooon dude!!! The Hosipal is no fun...... I'm thinking spacers are in the wrong spots or the wrong ones are on the bike or the holes are drilled wrong like cam says..... New chain also for sure.. That one looks rusty. Make sure you lube em up good!!

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
Sounds like it's new chain time, youcan get 10ft of #25 chain & 3 master links for $13, thats enough for at least 3 chains, w/ 3 master links, on eBay, rollerchain4less. When the chain get loose places and the pins are worn the chain will slap from side to side and that along with worn gears can make the chain jump off.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Sounds like it's new chain time, youcan get 10ft of #25 chain & 3 master links for $13, thats enough for at least 3 chains, w/ 3 master links, on eBay, rollerchain4less. When the chain get loose places and the pins are worn the chain will slap from side to side and that along with worn gears can make the chain jump off.

Alright well ill get a new chain. Its an 05T chain though not #25. What length chain should I be running on this bike? What length to most of these Chinese mini pocket bikes take? Also what is the difference between T8F and 05T chain?

As far as spacers I guess they could be wrong. Mine are sort of color coded. The two spacers on the left side are black and the two spacers on the right are plain steel color. I forgot to ask, is the wheel suppose to be spaced equally on both sides? If I remember right this bike originally came with more spacing on one side than the other.

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
Alright well ill get a new chain. Its an 05T chain though not #25. What length chain should I be running on this bike? What length to most of these Chinese mini pocket bikes take? Also what is the difference between T8F and 05T chain?

As far as spacers I guess they could be wrong. Mine are sort of color coded. The two spacers on the left side are black and the two spacers on the right are plain steel color. I forgot to ask, is the wheel suppose to be spaced equally on both sides? If I remember right this bike originally came with more spacing on one side than the other.
My cags have mostly 3 rearwheel spacers...1 large,,1 medium and 1 small...the large one goes on the sprocket side and the smaller/medium spacer goes on the brake caliper side........

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.