Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an x18 and I'm looking for a new carb. I'm going to get performance ignition coil, ngk plugs, performance cdi. I can get a 22mm carb all day but I saw a 26mm makuni by the same guy. I would much rather see a makuni carb on there, but I don't know if it will bogg down too much due to too much fuel. I have a x19 that has a 22mm carb and it boggs down at lower rpm, but I have stock ignition. That could be due to a ****ed up air to fuel ratio but I'm going to let this question go to the experts.

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
I have two 26mm Mikuni's here, one new which thy sold to me as a 24mm & one was on my X18 110cc for a few months, it would bogg if you opened the carb to fast. If you had a high compression engine w/ big valves and a cam & HP exhaust, a 26mm might work better. I might of had it over jetted also. I have a 25mm dirt bike carb on it now, have a new 22mm Kei^Hin and manifold I am putting on and the 25mm is going on my 125cc 4 wheel ATV.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would think the upgrades I have on it now would help it out a little not to bogg down. Do you think what I have on it now would make it worth while getting a 26mm?

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
A 22mm should be fine on what you have, might need to re-jet, maybe bigger 1 size. What happens with a carb that is to big is the piston and cyld w/ the intake valve open can't draw enough air thru the carb bore to make gas come thru the main jet and tube to the bore. Which means you have to over jet to get enough gas up the tube, which in turn brings a very rich idle situation. You can raise the piston needle clip up so the needle goes deeper down the atomizer tube, or less gas at idle. Every engine is different, there is no best setting, you have to adj. to make it work. Your new spark tip color will tell your how rich or lean your engine is running. These 4 stroke carbs have a 3 jets, Choke, Pilot and Main, all can be changed.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Sometimes they have a rejet kit. Which include a few jets drilled to different sizes. You can do it yourself. you just need to know the jet size that is on your carb and then go one size bigger. Here is a jet size chart. And to do it yourself I think you go to a hobby store because they sell really small bits. And you probably get jets from ebay if they have them.

Attachments

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
Online WidgetSupply.com , in Oregon, great prices on small gauge drill set w/ vise drill holder for less than $10. The drills will also tell you what size the jet you have now by finding the one that fits thru.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pretty cool. Would elevation have any affect on the jetting for somthing that small? I just went from 30ft asl to like 2000ft as.l

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
Temp & how high your are, both effect the fuel mixture, especially on 2 strokes. At 2,000 might be a very small difference. Cold air is denser so you need bigger jets, hot smaller jets. High up the air is thinner, if you were at 6,000 ft. to 10,000 then it would really effect your carb & mixture a lot more.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm going to create a new thread but if you can answer here, that would be awesome. Could you set up an electronic fuel gauge for an x18 and x19? I got a new lcd gauge cluster for both of them and they have a fuel gauge reader.

·
Ninja Racer
2,767 Posts
epr I had that 26 taper bore carb and it had a issue where I had to give a lot of gas to get going, the answer was the air/fuel screw on the bottom of the carb
I turned it a whole turn or more I forgot, but that piece meters the fuel from just off throttle to 1/4, then the needle is from 1/4 to 3/4 throttle
also if your exhaust is skinny it will load up with gasses that cant escape and run sluggish, that's what happened when I got the 26vm and why boonacka held the power advantage on me at sandy hook even tho we had the same setup except his exhaust was really nice

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
On the 26, you are talking about the little brass flush screw, air/idle??
Can't remember how many turns out it was, I played with it for a few weeks adjusting & changing jets and the got tired and put a 25mm dirt bike carb, with hand choke on the left that you can't reach. The new 22mm Kei^Hin set-up is going on next, this time I am leaving the main jet alone and try it the way it is first. My 125cc ATV has a PZ19 w/ back bore close to 22mm, the air/idle screw is closed, if I open it, it runs like crap going to try the 25mm on the ATV next. I drilled out the pilot and main jet w/ my gauge drills, 1 size pilot, 2 main, think it is to rich, plugs black and it likes to foul plugs, lol. I hate carbs to begin with, lol.
On the Jets, on eBay in search, put, China PZ19 Carburator Main Jet Kits, and see what you get. I have seen them all over online, when you are looking for China 4 stroke parts.

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
Wow, I forgot, some have the air idle behind the float bowl facing down, I have a 27mm like that too. Been working on too many China carbs, lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts