Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
PSN: xR3Y-_-BeAsTx
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a link to an ad off my local craigslist. Do you guys think this bike is worth their asking price. Also I have no idea what type of pocketbike it is either as it's not listed on the post.

Link for the Craigslist Post

If you can't access the link here are two pics of the bike and their asking price is $100. The exhaust needs to be replaced and the fairings are cracked.

Let me hear what you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
It looks to be a A1 cag, that has been ridden a "few" times or more. Being that it has no exhaust and the owner claims that it runs fine, I'd be a bit worried that they have been running it with out a muffler which really isn't a good idea.

As for the asking price, seeing that the front forks are rusted, which could indicate that it's been left out in the rain a few times. A used muffler off of eBay will run you around $30-$40, a new fairing set (if you were wanting to replace) would be another $50-$60.

Personally, I'd try to get them to come down on the price a bit, but that's just me. If you're going to check it out in person, ask them if they have been riding it with out the muffler, and if they have, act worried as if you're concerned that it could have caused damage to the engine. That could also help in getting them to drop some on the price.

·
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks to be a A1 cag, that has been ridden a "few" times or more. Being that it has no exhaust and the owner claims that it runs fine, I'd be a bit worried that they have been running it with out a muffler which really isn't a good idea.

As for the asking price, seeing that the front forks are rusted, which could indicate that it's been left out in the rain a few times. A used muffler off of eBay will run you around $30-$40, a new fairing set (if you were wanting to replace) would be another $50-$60.

Personally, I'd try to get them to come down on the price a bit, but that's just me. If you're going to check it out in person, ask them if they have been riding it with out the muffler, and if they have, act worried as if you're concerned that it could have caused damage to the engine. That could also help in getting them to drop some on the price.
Thanks. I'll definately give them a call this weekend to check it out. Yeah it does appear to be an A1 after seeing the post of the one you had just picked up. :)

The fairings aren't an issue with me but if there is damage due to the muffler being gone will I notice a problem then and there or can there be problems down the road? (last thing I want is a bike that no longer works) :confused:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks. I'll definately give them a call this weekend to check it out. Yeah it does appear to be an A1 after seeing the post of the one you had just picked up. :)

The fairings aren't an issue with me but if there is damage due to the muffler being gone will I notice a problem then and there or can there be problems down the road? (last thing I want is a bike that no longer works) :confused:
Heheh gotta love craigslist.

In regards to the damage question, I'm probably not the one to advise on this, as far as knowing what to look for. I'm sure someone else will likely chime in here soon that could better answer your question. I just know from being told, that running with out a muffler can actually burn the piston, debris can get sucked into the chamber causing more damage, and if the engine was to run for a long time and then shut off, cool air can enter in the chamber and when it hits the hot metal, crack. If serious damage has already been done, you'll know when you go pull on the starter a few times. It'll either be locked up completely, have no compression at all, or you might hear a knock.

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Just tell them Nick from PBP said $75 at max! then to top it off, tell them you have a friend that wants you to buy his for $125 but it's in way better shape, he'll do $75 for sure! ;) <--- winking because the guy will probably be like Who, from where, said what? :eek:

·
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol Nick. :p

I'll definately haggle the price down as the bike been posted once a week for the past month on CL :confused:

I've kinda been eyeing this fixer upper to spend my weekends on so I'll make a call tomarrow to see this bike in person. :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
Heh Nick the PB appraiser has spoken :thumbsup:

I've kinda been eyeing this fixer upper to spend my weekends on
You should definitely go for it then. The A1's and A2's are easy, and fun, bikes to work on, just all the DiY mods you can do to them make it worth the while. And even if the engine does run a bit funky, there's your excuse for getting a big bore kit for it. :D

·
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heh Nick the PB appraiser has spoken :thumbsup:

You should definitely go for it then. The A1's and A2's are easy, and fun, bikes to work on, just all the DiY mods you can do to them make it worth the while. And even if the engine does run a bit funky, there's your excuse for getting a big bore kit for it. :D
Yeah I hear ya!

Not sure yet about a big bore kit as I never worked with one yet but there's a first time for everything. :)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Offer $60. Go low so that if they don't want to go that low, they'll come up only a little :) But offer before you get down there and if he says no, point out that a pipe can cost $$ and you could grab a brand new bike for $150 so why would you pay $100 when the $60 worth bodykit is in need of possible replacement, not to mention a pipe.

I know $150 is a bit of a stretch but it's close enough to $179 lol

·
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Offer $60. Go low so that if they don't want to go that low, they'll come up only a little :) But offer before you get down there and if he says no, point out that a pipe can cost $$ and you could grab a brand new bike for $150 so why would you pay $100 when the $60 worth bodykit is in need of possible replacement, not to mention a pipe.

I know $150 is a bit of a stretch but it's close enough to $179 lol
When I do decide to jump on maybe getting this bike, I will definately give a low ball offer.

At this time, due to unexpected expenses I'll hold off for a few days so my next paycheck comes in lol

·
Registered
177 Posts
BTW, if you decide to not paint your fairings or do something else, I'll be willing to buy your fairings when I get money. lol. I'm not afraid to ride pink. It adds characteristics to my image. lol

·
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BTW, if you decide to not paint your fairings or do something else, I'll be willing to buy your fairings when I get money. lol. I'm not afraid to ride pink. It adds characteristics to my image. lol
Lol. My x6 is my one and only bike and I began sanding it already. The only part I haven't begun on was the main part below the engine which has the headlights.

Besides if you seen my front end in person u wouldn't want it lol. Which is why I'll be painting it soon as there are many cracks.

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
For some reason pink goes good with that bike.

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
Yeah, Blue & Black are my favorite colors, Team Colors for Empty Pockets Racing, black cyld, dark blue head. Going to paint Sams stock modded stocker cyld, getting ready to paint it. When I order stuff it always says my name & then EPR on your receipt, it looks Great.

·
Registered
42 Posts
where i live, they sell them on craigslist but they are way over priced. no mods or nothing and most want 275 or more. (i laugh at that, now) thanks to you guys i have not wasted my money yet.

·
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Yeah, Blue & Black are my favorite colors, Team Colors for Empty Pockets Racing, black cyld, dark blue head. Going to paint Sams stock modded stocker cyld, getting ready to paint it. When I order stuff it always says my name & then EPR on your receipt, it looks Great.

I think the color scheme would look awesome. I plan on getting it done this weekend hopefully.

My reciepts I always have BeAsT MoDz along w/ my name lol

Out of curiousity, what's your guys team site for Empty Pockets Racing?

·
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
where i live, they sell them on craigslist but they are way over priced. no mods or nothing and most want 275 or more. (i laugh at that, now) thanks to you guys i have not wasted my money yet.
Lol. Wow that is pricey.

But I geuss it really depends on the person selling the bike, type of bike, and the condition the bike is in. :D

This A1 Cag looks like a bike I will make a call on this weekend if it's still available. :):thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts