Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I was searching the forum for clutch replacement writes ups and I ran into another question.When looking at pocketbikeparts.com I noticed two types of clutches heavy duty and racing.Nipples explained the diference between both here

http://www.pocketbikeplanet.com/showpost.php?p=558825&postcount=2

Ok so my questions are has anyone used the racing ones? and how long do they last?I dont ride alot but Im also heavy so does it mean the heavy duty is better to help with the weight??

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
Theres 3 types of clutches.I have all 3 and have used all 3........

The best clutch for what you do is the cag aluminum 3 shoe........Periodic maintainance to deglaze the pads and drum is a must every 3-5 rides..

The racing clutch is for just what it says in its first name.Racing...You always have to be aggressive with the throttle.Not to mention they dont last too long and have to be constantly adjusted as the clutch wears down or youll get higher and higher rpm lock-up...Thats extra slip...Extra slip causes glazed and burnt clutch pads............The clutches must also be disassembled and blueprinted to function properly....The clutch drum must also be shimmed so the whole clutchpad is engaging the clutch drum fully....

I bought 2 lots of 5 racing clutches a lil over a year ago and Im down to 2 clutches left.....

The steel clutch is ok...Ive used one in my stand-up scooter to see how it would work out......It didnt workout good for bottomend takeoff but clutch grab was really strong and positive..........

I even modded a 2 shoe adjustable to work with my X1..........

·
French Fries N Cheese
1,174 Posts
ebay. I ordered 5 this summer for 11 dollars each shipped.
ended up getting two that were steel with grey pad material a 3 aluminum with the orange pads material. Im kinda bummed I cant find them with aluminum arms and the grey, harder pad material, they tend to last longer, and lock up better, but need to be deglazed every 2-3 rides.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so I got my clutch in today.I removed the old one which is a racing one with red springs.I noticed that the little gap where the rocket key goes in is empty.Even if I didnt have a rocket I should have a little piece there right?

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
Ok so I got my clutch in today.I removed the old one which is a racing one with red springs.I noticed that the little gap where the rocket key goes in is empty.Even if I didnt have a rocket I should have a little piece there right?
That racing clutch is super toasted....Thats what regular riding does to them........

If your new clutch has a keyway slot Id take advantage of it..Its a woodruff key your missing....Rocket keys go behind the flywheel and advance the timing...You can get keyway material from your local hardware store to make one......

While you have the clutch in brand new form you might want to take the time to blueprint the clutch...most arms are too stiff to throwout correctly..........Plus Id also lighten it to allow a higher rpm grab....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.