Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok today i got my new clutch. i posted info about what happned before and it is all gone. but i got a new one and put it in just like the old one. i took off the clutch bell and just sliped the new clutch on. then put the clutch bell back on. i took it out to run the pb and the clutch would not ingage. is there something i have to do to the clutch before i put the clutch bell back on or what. i even tried with out hee clutch and it was running great. but when i put it on for the third or fourth time it and a loud noise and would not go anywhere. sounds like crunching of metal and metal grinding. going to work be home later please help me.

mike

·
Registered
29 Posts
Refresh us on what happened before? Cliff note it if you have to. :p

One thing you can do in the meantime is measure the clutch pad to clutch housing clearance. If it's too large, the clutch pads will never come in contact with the housing enough to engage. Also check if the clutch pad arms are even able to move.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok today i tried messing with it again and i thought that i had it but i dont. when i turn the bike on everything is fine but when i give it gas it seems that the clutch just falls off into the clutch bell right off the rod. can anyone help me or do i have to take it to a shop. i would not like to take it to a shop cause it is 50 a hour . which sucks

thanks
mike

·
Registered
29 Posts
Did you line up the clutch with the shaft? Is there a key slot groove that it slides into? Or is there a bolt that goes in the middle shaft to hold the clutch in?

Try to get a picture if you can. I don't know why it's just falling off? There has to be a way to secure it onto the shaft.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
There' not much to the clutch.

Just a single bolt that holds it in the middle. Make sure the clutch is far in as possible.

The crunching sound you're experiencing, is not good. I'm assuming one of you engine mount bolts is too long, and its protruding in the clutch housing, so when the clutch tries to spin, its hitting the screw. Try this, take off the clutch housing, turn on the bike, and rev it. If you see sparks coming from the clutch housing, there's your answer.

Finest said:
Did you line up the clutch with the shaft? Is there a key slot groove that it slides into? Or is there a bolt that goes in the middle shaft to hold the clutch in?

Try to get a picture if you can. I don't know why it's just falling off? There has to be a way to secure it onto the shaft.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
here are some pics. i have tried so many thing. in the bell there is nothing to hole hte clutch back and the rod that comes out to hold hte clutch on there is no little thing that holds it in place there is a notch in the clutch but not on the rod. do you think that is came off from before.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
dmicgrif said:
here are some pics. i have tried so many thing. in the bell there is nothing to hole hte clutch back and the rod that comes out to hold hte clutch on there is no little thing that holds it in place there is a notch in the clutch but not on the rod. do you think that is came off from before.
Where are the 2 other clutch springs? Looks like you dont have any pad left on the clutch itself.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i am just showing you the pics of the clutcha and the rod that he clutch goes on. i noticed that there is a notch in the clutch but there is not one on the rod should there be one?

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Look at your shaft closely to see if there once was a key in there.If so,you may have sheared it off.
I have not had my clutch off so I don't know if a key is supposed to be in the shaft.
Maybe one of the members who has removed their clutch will chime in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i just changed mine last weekend, No key. Just got a 3 jaw gear puller and it came right off. New one on and no problems. Does the bolt that holds your clutch on have a big enough washer to hold it on?

·
Registered
62 Posts
The clutch assembly is held on by 1) a taper that exists in the clutch assembly and the crankshaft end for a "press fit" and 2) the bolt in the middle which should have a lock-washer and then larger washer under it.

When installing mine I put two small dabs of blue thread locker on the crank shaft where the clutch fits on and a dab of the thread locker on the bolt threads. Since there is no woodruff key (none on mine) it is a press fit. Crank that bolt down tight but don't King Kong it on there.

Looking at your pic of the clutch it looks like it has a key way. Does your crank shaft end have a notch in it for a woodruff key?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i have bought a new clutch it is just that i out it on and there was nothing supporting it and it just slides off at the first pull of the handle.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i tried to c if a screw went in the end of the rod and i could not find any treads. what other way is it held on and how.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts