Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Coleman CC100X I am looking to get more power out of. I was able to break the tack welded throttle stop screw free and I took it out so I can get full throttle now. I then replaced the screw with a new M5 screw that is slightly shorter than the last one so I can get a few more mph's out of the bike now. The screw is also nice because I can turn it in or out so I can limit the amount of throttle I get.

The manual states that the bike's "rated power" is 3600 rpms. With the stock screw in place I was able to get a top speed of about 19-20 mph. With the new shorter screw in place I can get an average speed of about 24-25 mph right now.

So my question is, does anyone think these extra rpms will damage the engine or shorten its life? I'm guessing that the bike is only reaching about 4000 to 4200 rpms with this new mod, but I'm not sure. To me the engine sounds just fine and I know that it could definitely go a lot faster if I had no screw at all. I tested it once and I got up to 32 mph. The only reason I am not running the bike at this speed now is for engine longevity and so I don't blow it up...

Personally I would think it would be ok to run it at 24-25 mph since it is not maxing out the engine with all the stock parts inside.

Any thoughts on this?

·
Administrator
3,558 Posts
Keep in mind they are straight up lawnmower engines

For short burst speeds yes going over the stock set 3600 or so rpm is fine but if your cruising down the the trail for long extended periods of time you're going to want to back up off of it so you don't kill it as fast I strongly suggest installing at tach

If it has torque to pull it you can always do a gear change to get more speed just remember you will have less power to go up hills.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks for the advice! I definitely will be getting a tachometer so I can measure the rpms and speed better, and I am also planning on changing out the rear 75 tooth sprocket for a 65 or 60 tooth one so I have can get a lot more speed.

·
Registered
What's your poison? Mine is 40:1
1,398 Posts
Kitty said it well, i personally don't know what parts they use inside. If they are built well you would be fine. I would say 23-24 mph for a long time would 'probably ' be fine, but any more should be limited to 1min or less.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kitty said it well, i personally don't know what parts they use inside. If they are built well you would be fine. I would say 23-24 mph for a long time would 'probably ' be fine, but any more should be limited to 1min or less.
Yeah, that was what I was thinking. I'm probably gonna run it at that speed for now until I get a smaller sprocket for the back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts