Pocketbike Forum banner

Would you buy transmission mods that have 3+ gears if it were available?

• Yes.

Votes: 59 95.2%
  • No.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • What's it for? (Read the first post on this thread)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Could this be the best mod ever? As fast or faster than the italian bikes.

Alot of manufacturers and dealers come into these forums and I'm wondering, who will be the first to create a better transmission. You can get alot more out of these bikes with their stock motors, but no matter how many mods you do, without a transmission mod, you can't get as fast as you could possibly be because you are limited by gear ratio.

While all the other mods do an excellent job at getting your bike to go higher rpms(thus higher speeds), with multiple gears, you can go much faster and have excellent control over low end . Though the CVT is handy, you are still limited to 2 speeds. With more gears, you can run the bike faster at lower RPM.(Better for your engine and bigger the fun. :) )

I think the market sales for a better transmission mod would be huge. Hopefully, someone important will read this and get someone in China to start making great aftermarket transmissions. Anyway, what do you think?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My buddy and I have been checkin to see if we can take his old 10 speed and maybe modding it on the bike itself. Ha ha ha. Cheap idea, but who knows, might just work.

·
Registered
866 Posts
there was a guy in PBP

XtremeEngineering or sumthin, that was looking for ideas to manufacture...

u could talk to him and see if he could do it

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
If i understand this correctly.Your talking about setting up like some multiple sprockets on the rear like the 10spd bike system.Also having a deriller guide the chain up or down to change the speeds. I don't think it will be able to shift fast enough for road course racing. I think it would cost to much money if somebody came up with new transmission that shift gears for these bikes.I think the best bet would be to buy the 4stroke bike that already come with a manual tranny.;) But i already run a bicycle chain and crank spocket on my x1 and x7 bike. They just don't change gears though.:mad:

·
Registered
687 Posts
a quality cvt transmission would be a major improvement. in theory, a CVT is perfect if set up correctly, but the problem is getting one to operate efficiently. i also dont know how people would like that for road racing.

·
You have no idea...
3,072 Posts
it wont shift fast or be able to hold that much stress, not even close...never will work
^^^ 100% correct - I tried it with a kart years ago...miserable failure - kept tossing the chain or bending the derailer...never meant to change gears at speed or when having torque applied

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
I would hate to be on a bike with that setup.Then coming out of a turn and the chain jumps off or get hung up in between the rear sprockets.OUCH!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Who said anything about a derailleur? He's talking about a transmission, someone else was talking about the 10speed bike thing.

·
You have no idea...
3,072 Posts
people were talking about both in this thread...just giving anybody reading and thinking of trying it info...

·
Registered
433 Posts
Everyone is over thinking most this concept. I did the CVT Transplant in my cateye, I have to say after trying so many different things I have it find tuned to perfection. With the CVT I am able to get off the line fast and with TON of torque, then as the belt rides its the same concept of changing gears. But mind you its alot smoother transactions, I think a well tuned CVT is plenty for these bikes.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
I like the cvt i just don't like the belt drive.Because the belts get old and stretch.Also the pulley breaks after awhile.I know this because me and a buddy of mine.Both got our bikes at the same time.Mines was an x1 his was an x2.We use to race them hard he went through 2 cvt trans.Later converted to the x1 trans. Besides i think the idea behind this thread is to beable to control the shifting as well as haveing gears.

Boy those cvts are pretty heavy in weight also.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Who said anything about a derailleur? He's talking about a transmission, someone else was talking about the 10speed bike thing.
If you read the thread correctly you would have noticed.That the same person who started this thread mentioned that his buddy had an old ten spd bike was thinking of useing that setup.Post #5 by crotchrocket That's how this came about.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I like the cvt i just don't like the belt drive.Because the belts get old and stretch.Also the pulley breaks after awhile.I know this because me and a buddy of mine.Both got our bikes at the same time.Mines was an x1 his was an x2.We use to race them hard he went through 2 cvt trans.Later converted to the x1 trans. Besides i think the idea behind this thread is to beable to control the shifting as well as haveing gears.

Boy those cvts are pretty heavy in weight also.
First off Why would the pulley break, that sounds pretty impossable. the reason why i say that is i am pushing twice the power you are on CVT and no issues... Sure the belts Stretch thats a given, Heavy? I would say there not all that bad really..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts