Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey.. so when i was gettin my bike all ready for its first run i accidentally put a crack in the fairing.. i was just wondering.. could 2 part apoxy fix that? its not really in a place that u can see.. i just dont want it gettin any worse..

TIA

·
Registered
664 Posts
FreeLoader101 said:
hey.. so when i was gettin my bike all ready for its first run i accidentally put a crack in the fairing.. i was just wondering.. could 2 part apoxy fix that? its not really in a place that u can see.. i just dont want it gettin any worse..

TIA
Thats what i use. If you want something more permanent try looking for Plastic weld. I couldnt find it but ppl told me about it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The best way would be 2 part plastic epoxy but you should reinforce it from behind with a patch of plastic the extends over the crack...

____ ___ <- cracked
``-----` <- patch

·
Registered
82 Posts
well you can actually do a couple of things. if you use epoxy get some that is aluminum filled which is stronger and you can actually sand/paint it. If you have a few bucks to spend, get yourself a plastic welder, which is basically a heat gun and when used with plastic rods you can weld cracks back together sand it back and have a strong original looking part again. They are not that expensive but a bit to just fix one crack, but then you have a nice tool for your shop.

FreeLoader101 said:

TIA

·
Registered
11 Posts
You can weld ABS plastic with MEK (methyl ethyl kektone)which is a solvent you can find at a hardware store. If you have some scrap ABS,drill holes in it and collect the shavings.Put them in a small non plastic container(cat food,tuna fish can) and add a little MEK. A little goes a long way.This putty you just made is liquid ABS and can be used as filler to mend holes and gaps. It will sand and paint just like the rest of your bike.If you just have a crack that isnt spread apart,use a small paintbrush to brush some MEK into the crack.It will weld itself together.

When in doubt,use LESS MEK... it is powerfull stuff and a little goes a LONG way.

Scrap ABS can be found at any cycle shop - just ask (or check their dumpster)

use MEK with good ventilation only and you may want to "improve" the grip that your paintbrush has on its bristles with a vice or channel locks.

take it easy

G

·
I fiberglassed with epoxy resin the entire inside of my seat fairing. It has been down, hard, and still no cracks. You can get a small fiberglass repair kit at a boat shop. You may also be able to get supplies at a good hobby shop, or auto parts place.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thx guys.. i think i'll get sum epoxy and do the patch method.. like i said its not visible.. i just dont want it to spread n have a chunk of plastic come off.

·
Registered
664 Posts
TxSandman said:
You can weld ABS plastic with MEK (methyl ethyl kektone)which is a solvent you can find at a hardware store. If you have some scrap ABS,drill holes in it and collect the shavings.Put them in a small non plastic container(cat food,tuna fish can) and add a little MEK. A little goes a long way.This putty you just made is liquid ABS and can be used as filler to mend holes and gaps. It will sand and paint just like the rest of your bike.If you just have a crack that isnt spread apart,use a small paintbrush to brush some MEK into the crack.It will weld itself together.

When in doubt,use LESS MEK... it is powerfull stuff and a little goes a LONG way.

Scrap ABS can be found at any cycle shop - just ask (or check their dumpster)

use MEK with good ventilation only and you may want to "improve" the grip that your paintbrush has on its bristles with a vice or channel locks.

take it easy
That is Useful info should be in a faq sticky :thumbsup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanx - have repaired many streetbikes but have not busted up my PB's yet. This really is easier than it looks,and is about as strong a fix I have seen.

·
Registered
492 Posts
The best way to keep a crack from spreading is to drill a small stress relife hole at the end of the crack. The smooth finish of the hole will rid the piece of stress caused by the crack and stop spreading.

·
Registered
8 Posts
FreeLoader101 said:

TIA
well glueing it like that is all fine and dandy,but its only going to crack again.what ive done is just welded a small brace under the fairing behind the seat.just to stop any movement when you slide backwards.and another thing is you could try loseing abit of weight too!..;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you take the fairing to an auto paint store, they can set you up with the right chemicals. Body shops currently use chemical plastic welding. Its a lot eaisier and works better than the melt style. There are different chemicals for different plastics. There are also like six million manufacturers of the stuff, and they all have their own aplicator. I would stick with 3M. It seemds to be the most common. Its kinda expensive to set yourself up with the stuff. However, if you have big bikes, its worth it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
haha.. actually i cracked it while setting the lower fairing up.. i just used sum plumbers glue on it.. it works like model cement in that it melts the plastic around it.. worked good but i wouldnt do it in a place that was visible..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts