Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
Generally, dirtbikes have 10" wheels, whereas a standard pocketbike has 6" (or thereabouts). That particular style of CVT is helpful for getting those big wheels turning easier by using extra gears inside the gearbox to produce the needed low-end torque.

Technically, a CVT (Continuously variable Transmission) is supposed to be belt-drive, and a gearbox is a gear-drive. However, I've seen both listed as CVT, so that's what I calls 'em .....

Now, if you want a wild ride with some monster torque, try dropping one of those transmissions on a bike running 4" goped wheels. You may not have a lot in the way of top end, but you'll be able to pull stumps with it .... (Check the second link in my signature for an example!)

·
Registered
434 Posts
Sorry SpyGuy,not all pocket dirt bikes have 10" wheels.

I have 3 pocket dirt bikes & they all have 12 1/2 x 2.75 tires on them,the other tire size that is available is the 10 x 2.50 .

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
At least I said "generally" ... Thank you for the correction, Trip.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
If your talking about the cvt from a x2 you would need to turn the motor around and mod the exhaust to fit with the motor turned the other way

·
Registered
434 Posts
andrew5826 what kind of bike are you trying to put a pocket dirt bike cvt on ?

·
Registered
70 Posts
you know you can buy these motors on ebay all ready to drop into your cag or some ****...just sayin :D

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
If your talking about the cvt from a x2 you would need to turn the motor around and mod the exhaust to fit with the motor turned the other way
Like this...........................The rear wheel will also have to be flipped in addition to the rear brakes to make it a righthand drive aswell..................

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
so is it possible to replace the clutch drum on it now with a cvt of any kind?
Regardless of what the chinese parts manufacturers say theres only "ONE" CVT......The others are chain to gear driven reduction boxes meaning the clutchdrum has to go around 5 times to the output shafts single revolution and that gearing is fixed in-place and non-variating.......................They are just torque boxes............

These small wimpy engines need a 10:1 gear ratio the least to get them moving......With power improvement mods it can slip lower in the 9's and even the 8's..............But that engine would have to be pretty powerful around 5-6hp to pull it off.........

The CVT allows the low 2 hp bike to engage higher than normal speeds by variating or swapping the belt sizes at the right time to be accepted and not promote hp loss but will never work good in a dusty/dirty/muddy dirtbike environment at all...........When the belt gets wet it slips badly........

In the end you can put any transmission or bell housing from one engine to another aslong as you make the perperations or corrections to do it aslong as its chinese too....The Euro clutchbells dont fit the Cags or Zenoah clones........................

SpyGuy put a pocket dirtbike gearbox on a homebuilt project [Re-Cycle]with a cag engine and 4" rims/tires from a scooter......It gave the project a top speed of 10-15mph but he said it has some super lowend torque its sick!!!!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts