Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 80.0%
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Every day members are coming in and asking about this carburetor. Dellorto SHA 14mm.

A lot of listings have it listed as a racing carburetor and unless you are putting this carburetor on a China Girl bicycle engine then no it is not a racing carburetor in fact I would consider this carburetor a downgrade over the stock carburetor.

If you're reading this and still intend on buying one make sure to get the genuine carburetor the knockoffs are the worst the insides of the casting are rough and they leave flashing that could possibly break off and ruin your engine...

Also take a look at how the carburetor mounts it has a pinch bolt this part of the carburetor is known to crack and break off leaving you with no way to mount the carburetor without causing a huge vacuum leak!!!
51lI9YKgyOL._AC_SY580_.jpg
51BJxe8SBnL._AC_SY580_.jpg
41MyTL4DmsL._AC_SY580_.jpg
51Hdu6UZseL._AC_SY580_.jpg
41ZnZrmiS9L._AC_SY580_.jpg

·
Registered
159 Posts
Great post! The Dellorto SHA 14mm carburetor CLONES are junk. These are what you will see sold on eBay Amazon etc as HP carbs. They often have no stampings or casting ID marks.

These china clones should not be confused with genuine Dellorto SHA carburetors that are great. Genuine Dellorto SHA carbs will be casted with Dellorto SHA and the carb model (ex. SHA 14 14L)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm on my third one. The only problem I've had are the compression connector breaking. Other than that, I do prefer it to the stock carb. Mostly due to the modifications needed to make the stock carb good. Lol. I'll modify the engine all day, but don't like messing with carburetors.

If you're expecting a reliable mechanical connection, this ain't the one, though

·
Registered
What's your poison? Mine is 40:1
742 Posts
That's for sure. But a carburetor is a carburetor, if you're determined you can make any one of them work. Some are going to require more time and money than others.

·
Registered
Razor mx500 (mildly modded)
108 Posts
I had one and ran it on my motorized bicycle and found it even less reliable than the stock carb. It was also more difficult to properly adjust fuel trim and my pressure clamp broke on the carb. In my assessment they're better than nothing, but not by much.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've got 2 mini moto dirt bikes for my youngest lad.

One is a coolster q50 with a standard engine and carb, the other is a XTM Pro rider 500 with a "race" engine with the Sha 14.14 copy. I can honestly say the latter is the better bike and carb/engine setup. It idles perfectly, runs perfectly (currently fitting new rings and carbon reeds) and goes fast, almost keeps up with my friends Demon Dxr2 125 pit bike in our field 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

·
Super Moderator
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I've got 2 mini moto dirt bikes for my youngest lad.

One is a coolster q50 with a standard engine and carb, the other is a XTM Pro rider 500 with a "race" engine with the Sha 14.14 copy. I can honestly say the latter is the better bike and carb/engine setup. It idles perfectly, runs perfectly (currently fitting new rings and carbon reeds) and goes fast, almost keeps up with my friends Demon Dxr2 125 pit bike in our field 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
How did you tune it ???

Are you sure you're not losing top end power because of this carburetor???

Are you sure you didn't fry your rings because this carburetor went lean???

Check around the intake manifold for leaks or cracks in the carburetor housing these carburetors are known for vacuum leaks and that will make your bike go lean and Fry the rings.

·
Registered
742 Posts
This is true. I have seen that happen to a friend's bike. Definitely worth checking into

·
Registered
45 Posts
Again, I think these carbs perform better than the stock carbs. Only problem is the clamp. But, Everytime I've had these, they've been very impressive. Actually, a clamp broke in my son's SYX a few weeks ago. I'm still letting him ride it. It's not going lean, and the swingarm bolt is basically holding the carb in place. Carb is working just fine, still. Lol

·
Registered
Razor mx500 (mildly modded)
108 Posts
Again, I think these carbs perform better than the stock carbs. Only problem is the clamp. But, Everytime I've had these, they've been very impressive. Actually, a clamp broke in my son's SYX a few weeks ago. I'm still letting him ride it. It's not going lean, and the swingarm bolt is basically holding the carb in place. Carb is working just fine, still. Lol
Right out of the box they tend to perform better than the stock NT style carbs because they at least know how to properly jet a carb from the factory lol. With enough time adjusting (and it was a lot of time lol) I got my NT style to outperform this one before it broke, especially mid and top end.

·
Registered
742 Posts
That's what the sport is all about. Trying new things and if it works, well it worked. And if it doesn't find something better. Good job

·
Registered
572 Posts
At the origin dello sha 14 is normally no problem with the clamp only on the cheap chinese copys.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts