Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
I'm rebuilding a cateye 43cc engine and was planning on doing the CAM2 specified treatment to the insides. After popping the cylinder off and ready to open up the ports and I'm not sure if someone had already done this to this head?? The case halves were not matched so I got that done, I'm ready for the cylinder and don't want to change timing or open up something if it's already been done to this one.
Can sometime help me out here?

Thanks much!

·
Super Moderator
2,355 Posts
It looks like they started or maybe they didn't want to go very aggressive

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I did a little bit of filling and grinding on the case and cylinder, though still not super aggressive. I got it close to a good flow and was curious if I should trim the cylinder skirt to direct fuel straight from the carb to the cylinder. I sharpie marked the corners where I think I'm supposed to trim (1,2,3), would that be okay?

I've heard the cateye had the worst factory exhaust possible, here's my pipe
Would the fatty, skinny, or snake pipe do it the most good?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Skinny and fatty pipe are for piston portet engine, you need a pipe with a curve!

🙈🙈See it now, you have a piston portet engine.
Yes everything is better than the stock one.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^post #3 picture^
Any thought on the porting/dremel mods where the cylinder fits the case? The cylinder skirt sticks way down into the case, the intake side seems more restricted (marked 1). Do I trim the exhaust portion of the piston skirt any (marked 2)? How about the bottom corner of the transfer ports where it matches the case on the exhaust side, would opening that hamper flow to the transfer ports (marked 3)? I'm almost done with the blue print..
I got a cheap exhaust from ebay
and forks will be here in the next day so we can wrap up this build.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hollowed out the carb, and cleaned up the inside of the piston, which looks like a good hp model.

Matched the cylinder skirt some on the intake side and left the exhaust side be.

I'm popping in some new crank bearings, and I may be ready to assemble.
We've never ran this bike, can't wait to see it go, we've a stock/complete x-7 to compare it to, I'm sure this one will smoke it when this is all said and done, I imagine we'll be doing these same mods to that one this winter.
I'll post the progress in the 2-stroke mid bike here soon...

·
Registered
23 Posts
From the things I know and read, originally your cylinder looked stock. But you have done a nice job on cylinder to case matching your piston port engine. Keep up the good work! It will be great!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts