Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up this Mini Chopper and was told it needed a Pull Starter. After some tinkering I realized the wiring is hacked and the electric starter wasn’t even hooked up. The electric starter does work when hooked to a battery. I also have a 49cc from a Zoom Pocket Bike but the crank is different and the starter pawl and pull look different.

1) What size woodruff key hold the crank and starter together?l
2) Is this starter assembly correct for the 43cc?
3) How does the starter pawl and pull go together since the pawls all seem to screw on the crank shaft such as the 49cc, then the pull start bolts on.

Overall it just seems like something is missing here. The bike it self just needs some electrical work which isn’t a problem but this starter issues has me confused a bit.
Motor vehicle Light Automotive design Auto part Machine
Wood Circle Auto part Automotive wheel system Jewellery
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gear Bicycle part Auto part
Vehicle brake Automotive tire Bicycle part Gas Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Land vehicle Automotive fuel system
Crankset Light Green Automotive tire Gear

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well so far this is all I can come up with:

I need this Bolt, not sure if I need 2-1/2” or 2-1/4”. The larger diameter end should thread into the center of the Starter while the Starter Pawl threads onto the smaller diameter of the Bolt

Is that Pull Start set correct as I’ve seen round Pawls instead of the oval shaped Pawl?

I am however still trying to find the proper size of the Woodruff Key.
Font Office supplies Tool Cylinder Engineering
Product Peripheral Automotive design Font Gadget

·
Administrator
3,549 Posts
I would start by getting your hands on the shank bolt and work from there.

A note of caution some of those starters spin the opposite direction I have put them together before to find out that the starter was the wrong one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Not having much luck with knowing what Woodruff Key, Pawl or Pull Start I need so thinking about a new engine instead. Will the link posted be a good choice?

·
Administrator
3,549 Posts
What's wrong with the pull start you have pictured???

If you're going to buy a new engine you might as well get one without the electric start.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What's wrong with the pull start you have pictured???If you're going to buy a new engine you might as well get one without the electric start.
The motor in the link is both Electric and Pull Start.

I can’t verify if that’s the correct pull starter or not, was hoping someone would chime in letting me know if that one will work and if I need a spacer that I’ve seen used as well not to mention what size for that Woodruff Key

Body jewelry Jewellery Circle Auto part Metal

·
Administrator
3,549 Posts
The mini chopper has the long starter well most of them did not have the spacer but the electric starter is completely worthless and normally fails after a very short time most people just break the magnets out and remove the brushes and stuff it really robs a lot of power you can use either style of starter the GS moon or brick it just has to match the pull starting mechanism and that is why they sell them together oem on the pep boys apc mini is brick the key is the same on the Cagllari Daytona engine but check the measurements Woodruff Key - Cag 47cc - 49cc

·
Registered
What's your poison? Mine is 40:1
1,386 Posts
The pull start looks fine. The electric starters are terrible and will eventually cause problems. I believe all the woodruff keys are the same.
I haven't bought one of those in a long time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The mini chopper has the long starter well most of them did not have the spacer but the electric starter is completely worthless and normally fails after a very short time most people just break the magnets out and remove the brushes and stuff it really robs a lot of power you can use either style of starter the GS moon or brick it just has to match the pull starting mechanism and that is why they sell them together oem on the pep boys apc mini is brick the key is the same on the Cagllari Daytona engine but check the measurements Woodruff Key - Cag 47cc - 49cc
Thanks for the link on the Woodruff Key! I am not worried about robbing it of power since my 4 & 5 year old ride these things and have 110cc ATV’s if they want to get crazy lol. I’ll check the measurements on the Key slot in the morning to verify. Thanks for the help….

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got the following ordered and should have them tomorrow, hopefully it all goes together. As soon as this engine is ready then it time for paint and redoing the electrical.
Font Cylinder Office supplies Auto part Household hardware
Rectangle Line Gas Font Engineering
White Product Font Material property Auto part

1 - 12 of 12 Posts