Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this Elite 11 along with a Blata 2.5 for $400. The top end on this motor was toast. A piston ring might have broken and caused severe scoring in the cylinder and to the piston.

I pulled the motor to get a look at what I needed for an initial parts order. The cases looked ok, the crank still turned freely and everything was still coated in oil.
I ordered a 5-port AC head that came with a piston, engine rebuild kit with all the gaskets, seals and bearings, a new Polini clutch with spring kit, and a cs racing clutch assembly w/ 7t sprocket

Attachments

·
Registered
576 Posts
It's a Polini 6.2 with 5 port, have about 10hp.
And not a blata 2.5 engine.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lol thanks ATV, some people in a hurry. He's actually been really helpful in the other threads. I'm trying to keep these all separate to avoid this confusion and make it easier for other people to use the information

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the cases split, cleaned them up with some degreaser and brake clean. I ran taps through all the holes and a die over the head studs. I installed the new gasket, crank bearings and seals.

I will replace the case bolts with new stainless bolts 1 by 1 before I put the head on to keep the gasket pressed

The wheel looked ok and the magnet still feels strong going to reuse it.

I had to loosen the coil bolt here and push that part of the gasket out further out of the intake and sandwich more between the cases.

The motor turns over but I feel as though there it too much resistance by hand. It spun much easier before I split the cases. I was thinking maybe the crank is not centered and rubbing one side I don't know. I thought maybe a feeler gauge could tell me.

·
Super Moderator
3,195 Posts
You might have to sandwich a few gaskets between the crank case to get the end play to work out right if you have zero end play or the bearings are squished they will not last very long at all!!!

They used to sell different thickness of gaskets for this I don't know if they do anymore...

·
Banned
380 Posts
You should have about .015" clearance on both side of the crank to bearings edge. Or split the difference if its more. Make sure the crank is centered in between the bearings, You might try loosening the case bolts and re-tighten them.

·
Banned
380 Posts
Did you see my Mid South sticker on the starter housing, man I miss Stoney, so easy to get Euro parts before. On that air filter I popped the V-stack out of the stock air cleaner, and it fit right into the cone, Crazy.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You should have about .015" clearance on both side of the crank to bearings edge. Or split the difference if its more. Make sure the crank is centered in between the bearings, You might try loosening the case bolts and re-tighten them.
I had to split the cases and reinstall everything. With the 1 gasket I got .025" on both side and spins much better, very easy.

Moving on... What do you set the coil gap to on these? .020"???
The kit came with 2 base gaskets. A paper and a tin (its not copper I don't think). I want to run 93 or 94 octane ethanol free stuff. What do I need the squish to be at??

·
Banned
380 Posts
.020" some cards are to thick. When you do that on a China bike you have to make sure the other side of the flywheel don't hit the coil. My BMZ has a .004" alum base gasket. The BMZ gasket kit I got had 4 base gaskets to .020".

·
Registered
What's your poison? Mine is 40:1
892 Posts
Yeah the Chinese bikes can use a typical business card but not the somehow European bikes. I honestly don't know what they are but I believe they are above the Chinese or a little bit more Gap because they are stronger coils

·
Registered
576 Posts
I always use 0,3mm on the Polini's and bzm's for the coil gap.
0,7mm is a good gap for the squish on air-cooled engines. Blata mostly have 0,7-0,9mm.

·
Banned
380 Posts
ATV, never thought about that. My BZM is set a .020" just like all my other bikes, I use a piston port alum setting tool. Think .3mm is around .014", don't think .006" closer is going to help any. Especially on my CS coil, lol.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not much progress to share but the motor is almost assembled. Set the coil gap at tight .020". I Need to check squish and see what base gasket I'm going run. Finally ordered a Dellorto 17.5mm ED carb and new manifold for it (Thank you Chrisi). I have the yellow springs in the clutch but everyone seems to prefer the red ones?

·
Registered
576 Posts
When you have Polini springs then is yellow the hardest one with 2,5mm.
From bzm, zocchi or cs racing the red one are the hardest but also with 2,5mm diameter.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a spring kit could you help setup the clutch. I am 175lbs and that is polini clutch yes

·
Registered
576 Posts
Get a rpm gaug and set the clutch to about 8000rpm. With 175lbs you can also try the red springs from polini. But that weight is the upper limit.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts