Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I bought a GP MX3 from a friend that now has four wheelers and stuff for only 100 bucks. It was in his shed for the past few years so it is in good condition.. I cleaned it up and got it running good. I decided to buy some stiff online from pocketbikeparts (grips, rocket key, carbon fiber reed). I put the grips on, managed to get the reed on, but the rocket key isn't fitting. It seems like it will be able to fit with just a bit of grindIng on the edges but it was frustrating at the time so I just decided to put the original woodruff key back on. Once I had it on I reattached the flywheel, put the cover back on and cranked her up, but it wouldn't start. I have been taking it off and putting back on and checking it bit it still can't seem to start. It is getting fuel because the spark plug keeps getting wet from trying to start it. So I decided to taking the original key off and seeIng if it would start without it but it still wouldn't start. It is getting a spark, and getting gas, and I keeping tightening the bolt holding the flywheel and loosening it to see if that's the problem but nothing is working. Sorry for the LONG essay, I just want to explaIn everything In detail so y'all can be able to help me out more.

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
You posted in the wrong spot, this is for problems with the website.

Try posting this in: HELP! Ask our shadetree mechanics.
No Way, It's been here in the right section the whole time!

haha :p:thumbsup:

Thanks bassmekanic You always seem to "be around" !!!

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
Check the gap between the coil and the flywheel to make sure it's correct (.020, the same size as the thickness of a standard business card). Loosen the bolts on the coil, slip the card down between the coil and flywheel, press the coil down agains thte card, retighten the bolts. To get the card out, rotate the flywheel.

You have to have the key in the slot for the flywheel (either the rocket key or the original key), because the flywheel will sometimes come loose and spin around the end of the crankshaft, killing performance. The key is there to make sure it stays in one place.

Spark check: pull the spark plug out, put the wire on it, and ground it against the cylinder head while pulling the starter gently a couple of times. What color is the spark? blue/white is good, orange/none is bad. If it is orange or no spark, bad coil - get a new one. Btw, the plug should be gapped to .030" (Oh, wait, you said you were already getting spark .. missed that on the read ...) Dry off the plug, and try again. Sometimes the plug gets fouled, and that prevents it from starting, too.

One final thing that these other two bozos forgot: Welcome to the site.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts