Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i knew there were threads all over the boards about engine type but can some one refresh this info?

Bear with me on this cause it leads somewhere....

About a month ago, i bought my first cag (FF MX3) it had such a started twice before i quit starting at all and i tore a hole in my left index finger pulling the hell out of the chord. Running stock, it was ok and decently zippy but i had nothing to compare with...well except my X2 cvt...but thats another story. After reading the boards i looked at the base of the cooling fins and found no symbols at all.

Anyhow, took it back to the place i bought it and 2 days later picked it up and noticed that the engine read "ZH-1". It start right up and man it was a dream. i upgraded spark plug, NGK BM7A, ADA HP carb (walbro, manifold, velocity stack...etc), new filter and HP Pipe. The performance was phenomenal! So i thought....

Well, today bought my second one...stock...FF "Raptor" model, you know, the removable swingarm, much better welds, better density plastic for farings, and an engine icon with 2 squigly lines. So did the routine (flush out tank, new filter, new NGK)...put gas in and fired it up for a quick run around the block and whoaaaaah!...there is no doubt this thing not only picked up with quicker response, but ran about 5 mph faster stock than all my mods on the other one. What gives? better engine?

This may sound like a dumb question but my next question is, should i even mod this one like with a jetpro pipe and try a Del toro (spelling?) carb (just to be different than the last... cause i'm pretty pleased with the performance now...if i do add all this stuff, will i screw up the smoothness of how it performs now?

Thanks for checking out my post.

- Dan

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
This is exactly why I say SY, blah blah blah, ZH-1, yadda yadda yadda, Squiggly Lines, BD, who cares. I admit when I first got into cags, I wanted a ZH-1 bad and was a bit dissapointed that I got a Squiggly Lines engine. We sell cags and midbikes at work and with all the experiences I've had with them, honestly I can care less aabout what the stamp says on the side of the barrel.

There are so many times where I've seen a SY/Squiggly Lines out perform a ZH-1/BD and vise versa. These motors run so inconsistently and tolerances very so much from engine to engine it ain't even funny. I honestly think, on the average, that a ZH-1/BD seems to have more midrange torque than the SY/Squiggly Lines and the SY/Squiggly Lines seems to rev higher and have a bit more top end pull. Overall the top speeds are about the same. But again, I would worry more about how the engine is tuned. As long as they are, they'll all run great.

One thing though is that if we get a cag with the big bore motor, we sell them for a bit more even though we pay the same no matter what version FF cag it is, lol.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, i guess i cant really speak for all of them as the previous post did. Mine was no doubt rocket fast pickup and smoother running top end. So, in my limited experience, I was very impressed with my Raptor model. Even though i paid almost $100 more because i had to pay taxes on the second one (bought it here local) it was well worth it. No doubt the speed and acceleration was the clincher but when you examine the quality, of it (welds, stoppers for front forks, front wheel mounting and even a more dense plastic for the faring) it's such a great bike for the money. My next one most probably be this model.

I love these little things! Now only if the girlfriend would get into them. By the way, that's one reason why i bought the second one.... She's just thinks i look goofy on it (like circus bear on the tricycle...but she just doesnt understand..) but i think once i get her on one, she'll come around...hee hee

1 - 4 of 4 Posts