Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an X3 with a tuned pipe. It leaks oil between the manifold (not the gasket) and the pipe getting it all over my shoes. My first guess is that I'm using too much oil (25:1, which is "normal") but if oil leaks then air leaks out also, maybe loosing back pressure? Anyway, can someone suggest of a way to seal it. Maybe JB Weld it?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
i had the same problem. i used jbweld to put over the flange, then just put the exhaust on and let the jbweld drip out. no more leaks.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks BoostedBoogie. Will try that. I hesitated in JBWelding it because I thought that it should move freely because of the spring that is attached to it. But the mess it makes :mad: .

·
Registered
80 Posts
i did the same, but with some liquid gasket stuff...once it hardened up a bit i had no more leaks!

·
Registered
866 Posts
the guy at the local pocketbike shop near me said it was bad to seal off that area to get rid of leaks:confused:

he said that if u sealed it off, excess oil can sumtimes go back into your engine...

i dont think it would be bad, but there my later be a buildup of too much oil....

just seems like common sense to me... the oil needs sumwere to go, and cant get out, so it goes back into the engine... im probably wrong, but im unsure...

i hate it when that oil hits my leg tho, its hot as hell!!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wonder if you can put some kind of drain for that. Maybe JBWeld a fuel line hose or something from the gap to the ground, hmmm.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
iDR07 said:
the guy at the local pocketbike shop near me said it was bad to seal off that area to get rid of leaks:confused:

he said that if u sealed it off, excess oil can sumtimes go back into your engine...

i dont think it would be bad, but there my later be a buildup of too much oil....

just seems like common sense to me... the oil needs sumwere to go, and cant get out, so it goes back into the engine... im probably wrong, but im unsure...

i hate it when that oil hits my leg tho, its hot as hell!!
when i took apart my motor, there were no carbon buildups/oil buildup? ran with a sealed pipe for 3 weeks already. if there's excess oil then you might be running a ratio of too much oil to fuel. the oil should burn up pretty much.

also if you notice with the stock pipe, the oil comes out from the muffler. so even if you sealed up the exhaust and ran a lot of oil, it should leak out of the muffler.

·
Registered
573 Posts
use ultra black atv silicon if you dont want to use J&B weld, or even Ultra Grey. They hold up pretty nicely and still gives its flexible hold. But when you put it on beware it takes a whole day for it to cure properlly so dont ride the bike for a while.

·
Registered
866 Posts
yea, i noticed that it still leaks... guess the pocketbike store guy was wrong then...

thats just wat he told me...

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
iDR07 said:
yea, i noticed that it still leaks... guess the pocketbike store guy was wrong then...

thats just wat he told me...
im guessing he's experienced with motorized scooters or go-karts or whatever and they probably have that problem.. which is why he thought the same applies to the bikes. i wouldn't doubt an owner of a shop, but i've had no problems so far.

·
Registered
866 Posts
he fixes his motors himself, he does everything...

mostly for pocketbikes, but he does sell scooters....

his customers are probably using too much oil then...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sesshoumaru562 said:
use ultra black atv silicon if you dont want to use J&B weld, or even Ultra Grey. They hold up pretty nicely and still gives its flexible hold. But when you put it on beware it takes a whole day for it to cure properlly so dont ride the bike for a while.
Where can I get the black atv silicon? I gather that it's heat resistant.

Thank you all for your suggestions.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sesshoumaru562 said:
yeah its heat resistant, goto the silicone section of the autostore. Peboys, autozone, kregan, etc... It should be near the J&B weld.
Just picked it up from my local Kragen for $3.99 for a small tube. I'll be sealing it tonight and let it dry overnight.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sorry for bringing this thread back but I have an exhaust pipe leak as well. I have some orange hi temp silicon sealer but I wanted to know do I have to take the pipe off to put it on or can I just put it around the exhaust pipe where it connects to the cylinder while its on there?

·
Registered
866 Posts
after this post, i used some orange hi temp gasket maker..

it works pretty good, but let it harden for a while before riding...
and i just put it around the gap area... i didnt take off my exhaust....it works..

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have an oil leak to, BUT, its odd, whenever im done riding i see a dark black substance on the outside on my exhaust pipe, and my pipe is the kind that swerves back around and pops out the side if you know what i mean and the oil is where the bend is, all on it, under it. is there a pin sized hole? whats going on?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts