Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey wsup guyz...first props to the admins to getting this back up so quickly

ok here's my problem...like most u already kno...the stock exhaust sucks and blows at the same time

my silencer just broke off...i guess i went WOT for a long time and many times...anyone have any suggestions as to keeping it on?...im gonna get a new one soon but for now i want it to keep it on so its not loud

i've tried masking tape and electrical tape...no luck...just keeps burning through or wutever....any help would be great...thanx

·
Registered
63 Posts
not going to have much with tape. you sound like a mainer"if you cant duck it chuck it". ok anyway, most people weld them on until it falls off again. i wish i could tell you to search but people hafto ruin all our fun:(

·
Registered
29 Posts
Two words: JB Weld

Or try drilling a hole through the pipe and canister and reattach it by running a wire through the holes. It's ghetto, but it works.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Here's what you can do......and depending on your budget.
without seeing your broken pipe, assuming it broke at the base of the perf tubing (nearest xpansion chamber) is to saw or grind the broken end down flat (as the other end appears).

saw/grind down flat where the perf pipe was once welded on the xpnsion chamber.

have the two areas (perf tubing/xpansion chamber) bead blasted to rid the surface of any oil/dirt/grime.....to ensure a good weld

have the perf pipe spot welded at each point of contact to the xpnsion chamber.

If you don't think it will hold, have a collar welded in place to the xpnsion chamber (ID larger than perf tubing, but long enough to support perf tubing), slip the perf tubing inside and spot weld each metal contact point.

Don't weld all around, the perf tubing will weaken and possibly break again (becuase of thin metal thickness). Be sure to spot weld!

While you're at it, beef up the weld at the bracket area. As you'll notice, the bracket doesn't mate near the chassis. Don't force it over to secure in place. Use a rubber type bushing to fill the gap, then secure it in place.

If too costly, then price an after-market pipe.

These are your only options....do what ever falls within your budget.

·
Registered
841 Posts
prrule said:
what exactly does jw weld mean? i feel like such a noob:(
JB Weld won't work in this case.

JB Weld is a 2 part adhesive. This stuff may work for broken stuff, but will not hold as a "true" weld.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
really...thats all i can do?....well that sux...anyone else have any ideas though?

about my air filter situation...it just barely fits on so i didnt have to mod anything...its one of those small UFO air filters...its a pain in the a$$ to get it on though

·
Registered
841 Posts
yup, do the work (weld) youself

or have a muffler shop or alike do the work

or a sheet metal shop or alike......

so basically have the broken pipe fixed or buy an after market pipe.....Don't buy another "stock" pipe to replace the broken. Otherwise, a high % that it will break again.....unless of coarse you beef up the welds in the area's recommended in my original reply.....that is what I have done to my "stock" pipe and it is holding up like a champ :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts