Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I need a stand for my bike and idk where I can find one! I've looks at a lot of online shops.. How much are they? How do I know it's the right size for my bike? Where does it hold your bike from the pegs?

Also I want to build a little folding ramp for my bike to load/unload it from the back seat of my car (it fits!), Anyone know where I can make a design for it? It doesn't have to be the exact layout, but someone similar. Something kinda portable, light, and not too expensive.. built out of wood? Thanks!

(The ramp on the right side)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
And... I have a 49cc FS509 cateye (says "GS-12" on the handle bars) bike with an engine swap.. A reason I found out that it's not the orignal engine is because I looked up and bought the pullstarter on the cateye, and it won't fit. So I ordered a different pullstarter ("pull start from GS Moon will fit various gas scooters as well as the X1, X2, X8, X9, and other pocket bikes") and it fits.. Is there a way to find out what bike my engine came from? My friend has a x7 FS529, and when I ride it it only tops out at around 17mph... Do you think my bike will go faster than his once I get mine running?

And finally.. If you get different teeth on your sprocket/rear sprocket, what speed difference will it make? The low speed, or the top speed? Because I know you can get 6/7/8 teeth sprockets for the motor, and 44/47/55 teeth sprockets for you back tire. I'm aiming more for top speed, so what layout would you suggest? Would it even be worth switching out the sprockets? I know a new pipe and a new filter would increase my speed, but those pipes looks expensive :X and well I have no experience on doing the filter.

Thanks!

Thanks a lot!

·
Señor Member!
958 Posts
they hold your bike from the pegs... look up on ebay or google "cateye bike stand" or similar searches.

the ramp- i dont thnk pocket bikes are terribly heavy to begin with in my opinion... might be too much of a hassle to make an entire ramp just to get it in the car.

with sprockets, its mostly just experimental. the smaller rear sprocket, or the bigger front sprocket, the faster you will go, however, your acceleration wont be as good... start small down to a tooth or 2 more on the clutch or 5 teeth less on the rear... BTW you will need a chain tool because your chain will have to be longer or shorter depending on your gearing.

thats my 2 cents, someone else should chime in.

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
It sounds like you've been doing your homework ... you seem to be rather well informed, and are asking some very intelligent questions. (A big sigh of relief here ...... most people will come on here and go, "OMG i hav a pb n i dunno wat it is cn u hep me lol" And of course, no pictures for what they're talking about, either ... Yah, it's happened before ...)

You could probably make a simple stand from 2x4's nailed together in a square, then a couple of uprights with notches in the ends for your footpegs to rest on. If you really feel like being slick, you could make it so the uprights are hinged in some way at the bottom so they could fold down for easier transport.

Actually, I think the design you came up with right there for the ramp is a decent one. Go with that.

Hmmm .... Engine swaps are always tricky, but we'll try to help you out. Could you please pull the fairings off the bike and take a few shots of the engine? Cateyes in general are the perfect platform for swapping engines as the frame requires little to no modification at all to hold a wide variety of different engines. Some of the more popular swaps are street scooter engines and either a Honda clone or Briggs&Stratton lawnmower engine. I think somewhere on here is a guy who dumped a 4-speed 110cc engine out of a wrecked dirtbike in that frame, but he had to really shoehorn it in there .....

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well the reason I want to build a ramp is because I recently had surgery on my elbow, and it puts a lot of strain on it lifting the thing up onto my back seat of my car. Would be easier if i had a ramp that i can pull open and the legs of the ramp would "lock in" so i can push the bike up the ramp. use some hinges for the ramp to be fold-able.

and alright thanks, I think I'll just worry about the sprockets later. I guess I can get a pipe or filter to help the speed for now.

and @ spyguy, i think that's what i'ma just end up doing haha. I just wasn't sure if there were any sites where i can make free blue prints or layouts making it or something.

and also with the engine swap, what I meant was it was already swapped before I bought it. my bike i have is a cateye, but the engine seems to go to another bike because it has a different pullstarter layout. i don't have any experience in engine swapping haha i would never try that! I was only asking what engine is faster, the x1 or the x7? but his bike only goes 17mph lol. mines not up and running yet though :(

I'll try to get some pics of the ramp when I'm done, might be in a week not sure. Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
Yeah, I know you mentioned it was already swapped - I was letting you know what some of the more popular swaps were. Once we get a look at the engine, someone on here should be able to give you an idea of what it is, and what the guy put in there instead of the original 49cc engine. (And if his bike is only doing like 17mph, then I'm pretty sure it's still in stock configuration ... and in need of a tuneup. :p .)

Doing the ramp shouldn't really be too hard at all. The rear "ladder rack" for the ramp support looks like something that would be on a wooden backyard lounger, so you could look at those for ideas, too .... see how everything would fit together properly. Carpet may not be the best on the ramp ... maybe friction tape?

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Carpet may not be the best on the ramp ... maybe friction tape?
Nice idea, how about that tough as nails, Grip-Tape as seen on the top of ALL skateboards...

Or some of that spray on truck bed liner stuff, I want to cover my whole car in that stuff, now try and key it you jerks! <----college kids don't like me when I make the "Same Class" look so easy!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice idea, how about that tough as nails, Grip-Tape as seen on the top of ALL skateboards...

Or some of that spray on truck bed liner stuff, I want to cover my whole car in that stuff, now try and key it you jerks! <----college kids don't like me when I make the "Same Class" look so easy!

haha well i got the picture from some cat disability website lol so i wasn't gunna put carpet on it :) but grip tape doesn't sound like a bad idea!

and instead of all those "notches" at the bottom, i was going to just have one at the very end.

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Sounds like youre gonna have to do some modding and tuning........

Lighten the flywheel

Lighten the clutch pads and make them throw out smooth

Deglaze the clutchpads and clutch bell

NGK plug BPM6A gapped to .030"

Boost bottle setup

hp carb w/ hp airfilter

revpipe or fatty exhaust pipe

rocket key or CDI system that automatically advances the ignition.............

Remove the basegasket from under the head and yamabond it down......This mod works the best if you raise the exhaust port the thickness of the gasket lost and widen the port 1/8 on each side to increase revs

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
haha well i got the picture from some cat disability website lol so i wasn't gunna put carpet on it :) but grip tape doesn't sound like a bad idea!

and instead of all those "notches" at the bottom, i was going to just have one at the very end.
I get my grip tape from the local ACE hardware store...........$15 bucks a roll.....

·
Registered
26 Posts
You may want your notch a few inches back from the "very end". I would want the ramp to extend into the car without the braces hitting the door frame. I would think about building the bike stand into the ramp, that way where ever you go, you have both in one unit.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You may want your notch a few inches back from the "very end". I would want the ramp to extend into the car without the braces hitting the door frame. I would think about building the bike stand into the ramp, that way where ever you go, you have both in one unit.
here's what i have so far lol

any suggestions? or tips?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Looks good, simple design. Is 21" high enough(or low enough) to keep the seat from lifting the ramp and dropping the legs? My ramp is only 8" wide and I ride up it to get mine in my shed and push it up into my van. It is wide enough for me. at 18" you may be tripping over it when you are half way in. Just a thought.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts