Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to this type of thing. I have a Baja Motorsports DB30 Doodle Bug 30 Mini Bike and I can only go probably up to 22 MPH (estimate) I want to try to get up to atleast 30 or maybe 35-40 MPH. How can I improve my Mini Bike? I also need help making my own muffler tip so any help on that would be good.:D

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hey bud I work at a small engine shop that actually is a authorized service center for baja motosports. Im not familiar with that model (the tractor supply stores and pep boys seems to be the only one who sells them here and they do not stock that model.) It most likely does however have the same engine that the go-carts and even the mini bike Baja Heat, Warrior and the original minibike 165 all have a imitation honda GX160 engine (a 4.8hp engine that used to be the common 5.5 but due to the change in how you rate hp it was found as not a true 5.5...long story.) but yeah its only a GX160 engine that honda uses. Parts are almost exactly the same, I actually dont know of any differences except that baja just copied and cheapend the parts. I havent tricked a bike like that so I do not off hand know of anything you could do especially since they use a cintrifical clutch set up so the gearing is stuck the same. The engine actually could put out 35-40 if there was a better gearing set up though. I have one on my go-kart and it goes about that. If you are ever looking for replacement parts though we should have them, if not we can get them. I'll talk around to other mechanics at the shop and see if they know anything that will work to get that bike movin'.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Baja uses several Chinese brands that imitate other brands. I havent seen them use a leifan though. But its probably like the other bikes they use the Juaxing or something like that... but its not like the pb engines. They use a vertical engine while the pbs usually use a horizontal. Pb's also are better in the way that the gas tank plastic acutally covers the gas tank on the baja's the gas tank is on top the engine and under the metal cover. So to fill your tank you cant just pull off the cap on top next to your gauges you have to go under that cover and fill it. its different...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cbracer, is right. It's a Lifan 2.8 HP engine. Can someone help out on why when it gets to goin pretty much top speed it starts to rattle and shake? I mean the whole freaking bike is shaking! It's annoying and it doesnt look very good either.

·
Registered
232 Posts
it is a lifan? thats interresting... well like i said i havent seen that model come in the shop and I just thought it would be the same thing they put on there 5hp bikes and carts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a lot of trouble initially with my son's bike. I bored out the jet in the carburator about 1/1000 and changed the spark plug. He can really fly on the bike now. I think these engines were set up for higher altitudes in China and they need more fuel at normal elevations.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If anyone wants to speed up their DB30, one thing id recomend is doing maintenence assuming you havent done it
Mine was driving at 15mph max and the aceleration was sluggish and turns out it needed new oil and my dad put in some synthetic car motor oil and 93 octane gas and it starte running 30mph max and even with my clutch being faulty, i was having good acceleration. hope this helped

1 - 9 of 9 Posts