Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys this is my first pocket bike(x19). I don't even know if the thing even runs. it looks like it's in prity bad shape so i want to know if the engine will even turn over before i start putting $ into it.
It has no gauge cluster,
No ignition whitch,
Missing some body panels,
The throttle grip will not stay on the clip on,
This is what's stange. The spark plug wire looks prity new and the rear tire doesn't look like it has alot of miles on it. Hopefully i can get pictures posted up tomorrow.
This is my question, how can i try to jump start this thing before i buy a ignition switch and battery? It has a 4 wire type connector with female connectors coming from the ignition switch and male connectors connecting the wires to the bike.
The male POWER SWITCH wire colors are a (red wire and a pink wire) connecting to a (red wire and a green wire) on the female end.
The male FLAMEOUT SWITCH wire colors are a (green wire and a white wire) connecting to a (black wire and a black/white wire). Thanks guys.

·
Git R Dun PBracer
766 Posts
Welcome to pbp. :)

By all means im not a pro on these bikes but this is just a few ideas that a few members helped me out on my x18 project. Swheels, CAM2 and EPR helped me out tons of times. But this is what ive learned from working on my x18.

Unplug the flame out connecter. Then kick start the bike with the spark plug out of the head and ground to the head of the motor and have the spark plug wire attached to the plug very good. If the coil/stater/cdi is good it should spark. If it does reinstall the plug and reattach the plug wire to the plug and try to kick start the bike. You can also spray and little starting fluid into the carb. And see if it will crack up. It does start and run just plug the flameout correcter back and it will kill the motor. You can also use a 2 prong toggle switch as flame out switch. With my X18 my harness wasnt good so i wasnt getting spark. CAM2 posted and diagram for 4stroke bikes. Look up thread named (X18 project nightmare). You wont have lights/horn/e-start. Just the basics for a 4stroke to run. There is also a diagram for the whole electric system. The Key switchs are cheap on ebay. You get one for like $10. Any x19 is worth fixing up. For the plasics im modding x1 plastics to fit my x18. I also used a x1 exhaust. Sounds really good.

As for jump starting. I would remove the battery and put on a charger then reinstall into the bike. But the wiring on these bikes are crap they melt very easy. But i would just kick start and let the mag/stater recharge the battery. Then hope the starter isnt bad.

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
Most X19 are full auto transmissions, I have one in my 125cc ATV but it has reverse too. Becareful with the electrics, you have a CDI ignition, voltage regulator, and stator and other electrical stuff you can burn up.
Here is a wiring Dia from my X18, 110cc, it will be very close to your bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most X19 are full auto transmissions, I have one in my 125cc ATV but it has reverse too. Becareful with the electrics, you have a CDI ignition, voltage regulator, and stator and other electrical stuff you can burn up.
Here is a wiring Dia from my X18, 110cc, it will be very close to your bike.
Thanks for the wiring dia! Iam sure it will come in handy. I went a head and orderd the switch of ebay. It looks like the one this bike had but will probably be different once it arrives. Going to try contacting the power wires to the different contacts on what's left of the switch. It is a automatic if that matters. Plus i don't know what im doing so we will see how it goes. Will keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to pbp. :)

By all means im not a pro on these bikes but this is just a few ideas that a few members helped me out on my x18 project. Swheels, CAM2 and EPR helped me out tons of times. But this is what ive learned from working on my x18.

Unplug the flame out connecter. Then kick start the bike with the spark plug out of the head and ground to the head of the motor and have the spark plug wire attached to the plug very good. If the coil/stater/cdi is good it should spark. If it does reinstall the plug and reattach the plug wire to the plug and try to kick start the bike. You can also spray and little starting fluid into the carb. And see if it will crack up. It does start and run just plug the flameout correcter back and it will kill the motor. You can also use a 2 prong toggle switch as flame out switch. With my X18 my harness wasnt good so i wasnt getting spark. CAM2 posted and diagram for 4stroke bikes. Look up thread named (X18 project nightmare). You wont have lights/horn/e-start. Just the basics for a 4stroke to run. There is also a diagram for the whole electric system. The Key switchs are cheap on ebay. You get one for like $10. Any x19 is worth fixing up. For the plasics im modding x1 plastics to fit my x18. I also used a x1 exhaust. Sounds really good.

As for jump starting. I would remove the battery and put on a charger then reinstall into the bike. But the wiring on these bikes are crap they melt very easy. But i would just kick start and let the mag/stater recharge the battery. Then hope the starter isnt bad.
Thanks for the information.This bike has no kick start. This guy on youtube started a pocket bike with jumper cables conected to his car, but he also had a working ignition switch. I can't remember his name.What modds are you going to have to make to that kit you're planning on using.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok this is what if just found out. The engine will turn over. I ran jumper cables from my truck battery to the starter on the bike. The engine turned over but didn’t start up. I pulled the choke out and twisted the throttle as well but no start up.
Q: Is there a way to pore fuel directly into the carb? Q: how do I check that the spark plug & spark plug wire for firing?
I didn’t see a spark when I tried to start it with the spark plug wire disconnected from the spark plug.
I also checked for a spark with the spark plug connected into the sparkplug wire but not connected the engine. I’m not sure which way is correct and I don’t want to burn the starter up. I’m going to recheck for spark tonight after the sun goes down so I can see the spark if there is one.
Q: Will a battery from a moped shop or somewhere work or do I have to get a battery made specifically for super pocket biked or pocket bikes?
Thanks for your help guys.

·
Git R Dun PBracer
766 Posts
Remove the plug from the head. Then put the plug wire onto the plug. Place the spark plug so the tip grounded to the head and try to start it. You might have to hold the front brake handle for it to start.

·
Git R Dun PBracer
766 Posts

·
Git R Dun PBracer
766 Posts
Great job. :)

Next thing would be to make sure your getting fuel into the motor. Since your getting spark. And it doesnt run i would clean the carb out. Clean bowl and jets. Replace the fuel lines and fuel filter.

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
Take your battery to Wal-Mart or Kragen Auto, or any decent store, and they can match you up a new battery. Powersport is a good brand. The China batteries are junk, I kept my OEM battery charged, it lasted 18 months. The stock is about 4 or 5 amp hr, I got a China 7 amp hr. Gel battery for $30 online on eBay. It's alittle bigger and I had to slightly mod the mount in the frame to fit. But it will crank twice as long,lol.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Next thing would be to make sure your getting fuel into the motor. Since your getting spark. And it doesnt run i would clean the carb out. Clean bowl and jets. Replace the fuel lines and fuel filter.
Snail mail finally delivered the switch todaybut the wires color codes are different.
Q: if i plug them in backwards it won't cause any major damage will it?
Waiting on the battery to come now. :thumbsup:Thanks for your help.

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
You need to find which wire goes where. I got an X7 tail light which looks they same but the wiring position is different. You can move the wire pins around in the plug to match your bike.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You need to find which wire goes where. I got an X7 tail light which looks they same but the wiring position is different. You can move the wire pins around in the plug to match your bike.
:thumbsup:Ok, thanks EPR. I was wondering about that. I want to try and take the switch apart to see whether the whether the wires are running vertically or horizontaly but me being me I'll probably brake it. You guys get much snow on your side today. I got just enough to throw my days schedule compleatly off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
EPR, i understand what you said about the pins being in the wrong connection slot. I think these ignition switch pins are the exact same way. The starter button will engage the starter motor regardless of whether the switch is in the off or on position. I'll make some jumper wires to tomorrow and hook them up like that. How do you suggest i sort them out? Thanks.

·
Banned
24,145 Posts
A cheap H/F tools $3 to $7 voltmeter, to see where power is, and is not.
The wiring on these bikes is,........ I can't put that on this Forum,lol.
If you don't need the lights or starter or whatever, get rid of it. I kick start my X18, the battery is dead, I have a 7amp Gel battery,lol, maybe Summertime, just want a brake light, don't ride at dark. I hand signal for turns, if I am riding down the mountain hwy road at the end off my road.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

What up Repobike. Getting ready to clean the carb.
Q: how is the throttle cable connected on the outher side of this screw. Do i take it a loose at the throttle before i turn this bolt?:confused:

http://www.pocketbikeplanet.com/album.php?albumid=182

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.