Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got Pocket rocket the other day.guy I told me it had not run in quite a while. So I took the carburetor apart it was freaking filthy and completely clogged. Bring everything so on and so forth ran great for a while then it would not start. So now after just a few minutes of running it and I take the spark plug out it looks like the pictures.
I'm used to cleaning my carbs on all my motorized bicycles but I've never seen this happen over and over and over so I'm not exactly sure what to do cuz I am a new noob.
is blowing a little smoke also. Every once in awhile it'll be white and then it's black so it's kind of on both spectrums any help to be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2,938 Posts
That's a 4 stroke the three main things that cause oil fouling on a 4-stroke are bad rings bad valve stem seal or a bad head gasket

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a 4 stroke the three main things that cause oil fouling on a 4-stroke are bad rings bad valve stem seal or a bad head gasket
I honestly don't know much or really anything about motors. I have been building quite a few motorized bicycles. But that's about the extent of my knowledge. I would run it for 5 or 10 minutes and it wouldn't keep running unless I gased it. And then every time I took it out it look like that and that was probably five or six times

·
Registered
What's your poison? Mine is 40:1
583 Posts
Honestly, Kitty went a little bit too far. Check your carburetor, rebuild it and go from there and then run it for half hour and check the spark plug. I have honestly never seen bad valves on these engines, not that init can't happen. Don't judge anything by its cover. Just because a spark plug is cooked buy too much oil, it just means it was running too rich. Lean it out a little bit and check it after 30 minutes of runtime. See if it's still black or less. Ash is too lean, black is too rich and brown is perfect. But none of the three mean bad unless it is what you don't want. Sometimes you want Rich, sometimes you want lean, sometimes you want perfect in the middle.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly, Kitty went a little bit too far. Check your carburetor, rebuild it and go from there and then run it for half hour and check the spark plug. I have honestly never seen bad valves on these engines, not that init can't happen. Don't judge anything by its cover. Just because a spark plug is cooked buy too much oil, it just means it was running too rich. Lean it out a little bit and check it after 30 minutes of runtime. See if it's still black or less. Ash is too lean, black is too rich and brown is perfect. But none of the three mean bad unless it is what you don't want. Sometimes you want Rich, sometimes you want lean, sometimes you want perfect in the middle.
There was so much corrosion in the carburetor and all the lines it was crazy. The hydraulic lines were completely filled with some white crystallized substance. The carburetor had just dry sludge in the bottom of it. I don't know how long it sit but it probably sit for years maybe I don't know. I take this all with the grain of salt I just enjoy learning and I can look anything up online but I like the communication I guess. But it ran great for a little while and then I shut it off and when I came back a few hours later it was just running rough rough like this. I'm using 93 in the tank he told me he only ran regular when he did do it. So I should start with just cleaning out the carburetor again then should I take anything else apart or just start with the carburetor?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Yes clean up the whole fuel system, carburetor, brand new fuel lines and any fuel filter that might be in line. Make sure the fuel shut-off is clean as well. That is a great start as well as a new spark plug. Don't do anything else, make sure it runs right. Valves and all that garbage don't mean jack on these engines. I have never had a problem with any one of these on any pit bike or anything else that have the same engine. It's always spark and fuel. I've never had any problem with the head or valves, 1 engine had low compression I put a new piston rings and cylinder in it and it was fine with all the original valves and head and all that garbage Etc

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes clean up the whole fuel system, carburetor, brand new fuel lines and any fuel filter that might be in line. Make sure the fuel shut-off is clean as well. That is a great start as well as a new spark plug. Don't do anything else, make sure it runs right. Valves and all that garbage don't mean jack on these engines. I have never had a problem with any one of these on any pit bike or anything else that have the same engine. It's always spark and fuel. I've never had any problem with the head or valves, 1 engine had low compression I put a new piston rings and cylinder in it and it was fine with all the original valves and head and all that garbage Etc
Awesome so glad I found this thread. It don't matter what you do there's always going to be somebody with your same interest and knows a lot more. I just absolutely love learning whatever I can I got into all the motors just from all the pool pump motors that I was getting that people were throwing away.. thank you so much for your time honestly it does mean the world to me. I've grown very empathetic in my older age plus I quit drinking this year so I have more energy and more time that I've never had for the past 20 years......
it's crazy

·
Registered
583 Posts
Good for you man, I'm glad. Exactly learn what you can from everybody around you. Let us know what else you need, and like I said just rebuild the fuel system make sure you got spark and run it. Check the spark plug afterwards to see if it is black brown or Ash.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sure will, last time I was there was 2006! But ya never know.
I moved here about 10 years ago I've been a gypsy most of my life wanting to see everything and try everything at least twice. I've had about every job because I wanted to learn all of construction not just this one part or that one part so I'm bounced around all over originally from right outside Charlotte

·
Registered
583 Posts
Dude that's awesome. I visited Raleigh-Durham and rode a Harley to Myrtle Beach. That was the last time I was there back in 2006. Not that I wouldn't visit again. LOL but yeah I hear you man learn all you can about everything. I am kind of taking that path.

·
Banned
380 Posts
Dude, don't feel bad, we all go thru this every Spring. I am with ATV. Replace all your fuel lines add a shut off valve and fuel filter. Your way to rich, you have a PZ19mm carb, a 22mm is much better. You have 2 jets, a pilot and main jet, the pilots from idle to mid range, and the main at that point. You can buy jet kits. What happens is you clean your carb, put it back and the dirt left in you tank and lines and clogs everything again. Its hard for me to help you without knowing your jet sizes. That is an X Super Pocket bike class. There is X1 to X22, that looks like a later one, I have the X18. its also a semi auto trans, no clutch. the frame looks like 4 stroke water cooled X bike, does it have a radiator?? The rims they put on that bike are shaky.

·
Banned
380 Posts
Since you have a lot of oil burning, I would do a compression test, that will tell you if your rings and valve guides are not leaking pressure. Do you see white or any smoke from the exhaust pipe??

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dude, don't feel bad, we all go thru this every Spring. I am with ATV. Replace all your fuel lines add a shut off valve and fuel filter. Your way to rich, you have a PZ19mm carb, a 22mm is much better. You have 2 jets, a pilot and main jet, the pilots from idle to mid range, and the main at that point. You can buy jet kits. What happens is you clean your carb, put it back and the dirt left in you tank and lines and clogs everything again. Its hard for me to help you without knowing your jet sizes. That is an X Super Pocket bike class. There is X1 to X22, that looks like a later one, I have the X18. its also a semi auto trans, no clutch. the frame looks like 4 stroke water cooled X bike, does it have a radiator?? The rims they put on that bike are shaky.
No radiator yes I cleaned everything before even the gas tank actually getting ready to crank her up here in just a few minutes to see

·
Banned
380 Posts
White is un-burnt gas, dark smoke, could be burning oil like Kitty said. If it smokes revving it it could be worn rings, when you let off smoke could be bad valve cover seals or worn valve guides. Lets us know what happens. Have you tried a new spark plug, cause that looks fouled. On eBay for around $25 you can get an HP CDI and orange HP coil, it help me a lot.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
White is un-burnt gas, dark smoke, could be burning oil like Kitty said. If it smokes revving it it could be worn rings, when you let off smoke could be bad valve cover seals or worn valve guides. Lets us know what happens. Have you tried a new spark plug, cause that looks fouled. On eBay for around $25 you can get an HP CDI and orange HP coil, it help me a lot.
I'll have to wait till in the morning I don't want to disturb my neighbors. For real thank you and everyone for all their help. it's so much to take in !!!

·
Banned
380 Posts
There is no hurry, better to do it right. Were not getting paid, were here to help each other. I would run synthetic oil 20/40.
If your float in the carb bowl is to high more gas will go up the main jet tube, making you to rich.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There is no hurry, better to do it right. Were not getting paid, were here to help each other. I would run synthetic oil 20/40.
If your float in the carb bowl is to high more gas will go up the main jet tube, making you to rich.
So right now I'm about a half an hour in and it's running really great.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts