Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The 2-Cycle DocToR
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm helping my neighbor fix his throttle cable.. It seemed to be stuck..you would pull back to give it gas but the cable wouldn't open the carb.. So we took the cable completely off..didn't appear to have any kinks in it or any slices or anything.. But when u straighten the cable out, and pull on one side..it doesn't move the cable on the other end. Maybe broken in the middle? Need lube?

Attachments

·
Git R Dun PBracer
766 Posts
Sounds like the cable broke in the middle. If you have old bikecycle laying around you might. Be able to makeshift a hand break cable to use for the time being

·
The 2-Cycle DocToR
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well...the cable was split in the middle. I was able to get a cable off of an old bike lying around. ...I used one of those tabs they put on the end of brake cables after the caliper so the cable would open the butterfly.. Anyhow, one more mission accomplished :)

·
Git R Dun PBracer
766 Posts
Good to hear you were able to get it fixed. :)

·
PBP SENIOR M!LKER
2,445 Posts
ya I found if your sleeve is still good you can go the bicycle shop and just buy the cable for like 2 bucks and just cut it to size.. For them to make me a correct size sleeve and cable it was 8.50 cents… Pretty cheap to purchase!! I’ve had to get a few now…

·
PBP STUNTER
146 Posts
ya I found if your sleeve is still good you can go the bicycle shop and just buy the cable for like 2 bucks and just cut it to size.. For them to make me a correct size sleeve and cable it was 8.50 cents… Pretty cheap to purchase!! I’ve had to get a few now…

The problem though with using bike cables for replacement clutches, if you want to cut it, the little metal part on the end doesn't reattach. Wen all over town looking for just an attachable tab for a cut cable, and had to make one out of a small screw and nut.

·
The 2-Cycle DocToR
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kozmo, you can use the tabs they put on the very end of the cable that hangs of your brake caliper...I've included a picture for your reference...

Attachments

·
PBP STUNTER
146 Posts
I'm not talking about the crimp end, I'm talking about the ball or cylinder. Like the clutch cable has a small cylinder inside the lever, and another one that pulls the actuator.

·
The 2-Cycle DocToR
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I got ya... I guess I was just fortunate that the ball end was able to slide right into the throttle...

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
I relead-on new lead ends to the cable.....My local mower shop has the lead barrels in both sizes......alls you do is melt a 1/2 ounce lead sinker in a small ladle,apply a few drops of flux or dip it in tinning flux paste,,apply the barrel end to the cable then dip it 3-4 seconds into the melted lead and pull out to cool down...Clean it up....Good as new and real strong....

Before that this is how I used to do it and still do from time to time.............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-gY27LTU2c

Everybike I find at the scrapper of the trash I bring home for the brake hardware and all the cables.......Theres been many-many times theyve saved me

·
The 2-Cycle DocToR
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unfortunately I don't have a saudering gun or a propane torch so I was forced to "crimp and pray" lol :)

·
PBP STUNTER
146 Posts
That's a good idea. I tried putting a small bead of slag on the end of one, but I melted the cable to the sleeve. Right now, I have a super thick BMX cable made by stolen ran as a clutch cable. It's pretty long so it's wrapped between my forks, then around my fram rails a couple times before going into my clutch.

If i can get the materials, I might try to do this to my makeshift handbrake. Right now I have the end of the cable notted through the little hole I made in the brake actuator plate. Hopefully it'll give me a stronger pull.

Anyways, sorry to be a forum terrorist and thread jack.

I digress.

·
The 2-Cycle DocToR
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's a good idea. I tried putting a small bead of slag on the end of one, but I melted the cable to the sleeve. Right now, I have a super thick BMX cable made by stolen ran as a clutch cable. It's pretty long so it's wrapped between my forks, then around my fram rails a couple times before going into my clutch.

If i can get the materials, I might try to do this to my makeshift handbrake. Right now I have the end of the cable notted through the little hole I made in the brake actuator plate. Hopefully it'll give me a stronger pull.

Anyways, sorry to be a forum terrorist and thread jack.

I digress.
Forum terrorist huh? Lol u didn't thread jack at all, there's no such thing... One thing you might say, even if its repeated... Might make complete sense to someone and help them out :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.