Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i got some new brake levers that pull wayy better than the stock crappy ones. a question for those that did the conversion: how did you get the grips off? do they just slide off?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok got the right grip off and once my new brake levers (drying from paint) are dry, i'll have them on.

one more question. i noticed the left lever has a switch box which is most likely used to activate the rear brake taillight. were you guys able to hook this up to the new bmx levers somehow? or will i have to do some engineering to keep my rear brakelight function?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok everything is ready to go on, but i cant get that little switch box off the stock lever. how do i get this thing off? i dont wanna break the lever just in case the conversion doesn't go well.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nevermind i got the right lever installed. i'll probably leave it at that since the left lever is already adjusted with the brakes. i'll have to do the same for the front brake. there's still some slack between the lever/caliper which isn't giving the best braking performance. pics up tomorrow.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hey Boostedboogie. So I take it that you are going to leave the stock levers on the left side since it is working properly? Or I mis-read your post and you were able to convert the switch for the rear brake lights using the new levers? If you did, please let us know if you were successfull with the conversion and how you did it..

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i wasn't able to attatch the lever to the taillight switch, so i just put on the stock ones again and readjusted the slack so that it pulls better. imho i like the stock levers with readjusted slack compared to the bmx ones.

·
www.extreme4strokes.com
3,016 Posts
The trick is to not just get any BMX levers but all metal ones that have more leverage. Mine have about 2.5-3 times the leverage of stock, the brake cable is really loose and I can fully lock the brakes with less than half the travel from the lever. I think the ones I used are valled VMAX but I don't see any name on them, it was only on the box that I have long ago disposed of. They were $18 for the pair and it is the best mod for diving under people going into tight corners because I have confidence in my brakes plus I can brake later.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts