Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, someone gave me a free CAG. I've been a bike guy all my life so the other day a friend dropped off a mostly complete, non-running CAG. It is missing the pull start, chainguard and roller, and upper motor mount that I can tell so far. It has no spark and the flywheel is damaged. I've learned quite a bit lurking around here so I joined up. I hope to get this thing going soon and post up some pix. Thanks for all the good info.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Awesome! Please post some pics, would love to see.

Photobucket will host or, if you just want something immediate, go to tinypic.com, upload picture and post the link for forum usage :)

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
Welcome Aboard, you look at what Cam2 does, Cag or Zenoah, he has posts w/ photos and what to do to get Max HP out of these thing including Alochol burners.
These engines are about as simple as a gas engine can be, stick around will help you out. Might need a new coil, and starter cover.

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
MT-A1 Cag, one of the older ones. Those are good frames, the newer ones are kinda thin, as several people here will tell you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, I got a new coil and pull starter from pocketbikeparts.com. I now have spark. Cleaned the carb, replaced the spark plug and I got it to fire up. I can only get it to run for a few seconds before it dies. It sounds good while running. I haven't had a chance to play around with carb adjustments yet. Any input?

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Check the fuel filter / fuel lines, it sounds like a possible clog...

or possibly the "Float" in the carburetor is not moving up and down like it needs to, the float is what controls the level of fuel that is allowed into the carburetor Bowl.

GOOD JOB so far!!!

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
Sure sounds like a fuel, carb problem #1 problem on these bikes, the coil and spark plug are #2,lol. Reeds too, they could be open, or split, there two metal fingers. I would take the carb, manifold and reed plate off the engine. Turn the gas on, fill the carb, turn it off. I leave the throttle cable on the piston,unscrew the top. Keep it level so you don't spill gas, take the float bowl off, see how much gas is there. Take the main jet out, clean the carb. Take the white knob off, make sure the rubber pad with 4 holes is in good shape.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm thinking fuel also, I forgot to mention that I replaced the fuel line and filter and cleaned the tank. I also disassembled the carb and petcock, cleaned and re-assembled both before putting any fuel to it. Crazy looking float that didn't attach to anything but just moves the float valve open and closed. I'm thinking maybe it's shutting off the fuel. Maybe I can bend the tabs a little to adjust the float level. The reeds looked okay when I had it apart.

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
I had a full fairing A2, 2 weeks old, first the gas tank split up front, I welded it, then I could not shut off the fuel and the whole tank emptied. thats when I got a bunch of metal Dave's shutoffs for 2 dollars each, and added a good gas filter & did the JB Weld mod, never any trouble now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts