Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night while boring out the carb, I assembled everything back and got it to run pretty decent. Changed the top needle to the 5th position and got rid of the bogging I had prior.

But I noticed while test riding that fuel was coming out of the tube on the side of the carb. Is that supposed to plug into any place? I didn't recall it going anywhere when I removed the carb? So whenever the fuel cutoff valve is open, fuel will just drip out of the tube constantly. It started raining, so I didn't have a chance to check the float bowl or other places.

Anyone know what's happening? TIA!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Wow, that happened to me but then i closed the petcock, turned on the bike.. let it die out.. opened up the valve.. and it went away..... odd..... Do you have instructions as to what you ported on ur carb?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kevin said:
Wow, that happened to me but then i closed the petcock, turned on the bike.. let it die out.. opened up the valve.. and it went away..... odd..... Do you have instructions as to what you ported on ur carb?
Porting the carb isn't so bad. Just remove the carb and port out the inlet. I took a die grinder with a dremel grinding tip and slowly worked the inlet to get a more smooth flow. I took it out all the way to the edges and smoothed it out. I didn't touch the bore yet though. I left the walls the original finish, to promote a better mixture. But I heard that with a drill press and the correct drill size, you can take the bore to 14mm? I might try that soon, after I fix this fuel leak. :p

·
Registered
80 Posts
It could be because your fuel line isnt cut exactly straight or even. TRY cutting it more even all the way around and then see. and clamp the **** out of it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mcboro said:
It could be because your fuel line isnt cut exactly straight or even. TRY cutting it more even all the way around and then see. and clamp the **** out of it.
No, it's not the fuel feed line. It's a clear hose on the left side of the carb (looking at it from the rear).

Darkside: I think that's what it is. Is it suppose to be plugged into anywhere? The fuel is leaking out of that constantly, until I turn the valve off. I'll snap a quick picture tonight so we're all on the same page.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If it's what I'm thinking, on mine it has a hose attached to a little air primer (like on the old Reebok Pump shoes). I don't really use it all that often and you could actually just cut off that line with a hose stopper or whatever. I haven't seen these primers on other Cags yet either though. Wish I had my carb to show you the part I'm talking about but there is a decent chance it's the same thing.

For me, if you are sitting on the bike, it's on the left side of the carb.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DarkSide said:
found this picture in the reed/adj main jet install thread. I'm guessing this is how yours was.
EXACTLY! Yea, it's the tube on the left side. The fuel's leaking from that tube. Is that like a bypass or overflow dump tube of some sort? I thought maybe the float bowl was flooded or something, so I let it drip....and it continued dripping for quite some time. It emptied out my gas tank (only had 1/4 tank for testing)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Not sure about the whole leaking thing, maybe someone else can chime in. I think a lot of bikes have it setup like this. Like I said, on mine, the tube is conencted to a primer that is mounted up a bit on the side of the frame.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine had this problem for a bit, a quick ghetto fix is just pick up the back tire and drop it, the bounce should get the forks above the float to go up and shut off the fuel. But the fix would be remove the float bowl, at the base of the fork there is a little pin that slides into a recessed piece that looks like a little bullet. Pull that piece out (make sure not to lose the spring and little pin) and let loose with some carb cleaner. Ive had to do this to 3 bikes now and its always some grit or metal shaving in there not allowing that piece to travel and stop flow. About 15 minutes and some carb cleaner you should be good. Hope this helps..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Slapnuts said:
But the fix would be remove the float bowl, at the base of the fork there is a little pin that slides into a recessed piece that looks like a little bullet. Pull that piece out (make sure not to lose the spring and little pin) and let loose with some carb cleaner.
Awesome! I'm trying this tonight. I'm guessing I didn't get all the shavings out from when I ported the carb. I shot compressed air through every crevice and liberally sprayed carb cleaner everywhere. I didn't think to open up the float bowl beforehand though.

·
Registered
289 Posts
You can use brake cleaner It works just as good as carb cleaner. It drys faster too. :)

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
you have gunk in your floatbowl and its causing it to stick, or the little dowl that holds the float is jammed or the little prongs are bent. Id say just clean out the bowl and the float

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is infact an overflow tube, thats all i can say, i cant help you with anything though, i wouldnt know why its just pouring out from there...

·
Registered
35 Posts
DarkSide said:
Not sure about the whole leaking thing, maybe someone else can chime in. I think a lot of bikes have it setup like this. Like I said, on mine, the tube is conencted to a primer that is mounted up a bit on the side of the frame.
you were right the reason it is leaking is because the float is stuck open try compleatly dissasembling the carb and cleaning it.......including blowing compressed air through jet

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
spunkmasterB said:
you were right the reason it is leaking is because the float is stuck open try compleatly dissasembling the carb and cleaning it.......including blowing compressed air through jet
Ok, took a look at it last night and when I first opened it up, the prongs were all bent out of shape. Do they point up, or down? I'm assuming the little bullet thing presses the prongs down? And the prongs push against the float?

I tried bending the prongs back down and assembled it back together. Now it's not getting any gas? heh heh I unscrewed the bolt on the bottom of the float and no fuel came out.

Anyone have a diagram of how the float bowl is assembled? I think I can figure it out from there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you bend the forks down the float is in contact sooner, in turn closing the fuel flow sooner. Bend the forks up then reassemble and pull the bowl screw again, kinda going to be trial and error but once its done, its done. Also if you bend the forks too high the flow wont stop and you will have the leaking from the overflow again.

Cheers

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Slapnuts said:
If you bend the forks down the float is in contact sooner, in turn closing the fuel flow sooner. Bend the forks up then reassemble and pull the bowl screw again, kinda going to be trial and error but once its done, its done. Also if you bend the forks too high the flow wont stop and you will have the leaking from the overflow again.

Cheers
I think I bent them too low? heh heh Hence, no fuel. Dammit, everything's so picky on these bikes! :p Thanx for the tip!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts