Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious but how do you guys handle the smell of the fuel wafting throughout where you keep your bikes. I keep both my Cags and my X2 in the garage and the fuel/oil smell is pretty strong. I see some pictures of people keeping their bikes in the kitchen and living room. How do you keep your house from smelling like a repair shop? Maybe that's just the nature of the hobby.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
271 Posts
..I live in a 2 bedroom apartment....my second bedroom contains 2 pocketbikes and two dirtbikes ... a 99 Honda CR 500 and a 99 Yamaha YZ 250. I just keep the door shut and the window open. :D

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
lol, mine smells like oil/gas like CRAZY....My mom wants to shoot me...lmao, I usually have the garage opened the whole day, so I get fresh air....

·
Registered
78 Posts
i'm building a sealed box for mine.. only way my mom wont make me put it in the shed.. **** that.. $500 CDN bike in a $150 shed..

i'll use sum lil air freshners too :p

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use a different 2-stroke oil. Incredibly it doesn't smell too bad. I have roomates, so I gotta keep the bike in my room or the laundry room and I got no complaints.

·
Registered
463 Posts
One question, are you guys all turning off the fuel valves on your bikes? I have several pocket bikes and a big bike in the garage with no fuel smell.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I keep mine in the living room and it only smells for a minute right after I'm done riding. Make sure you're turning your petcock off and turning the choke on. You don't want to have your float stick open while the petcock is on and your bike is sitting on your living room carpet like mine was the first day I got it! The oil you run may make a slight difference too. I run Husqvarna XP Premium with stabilizer, I don't have any prob with odor. Wish I did, "I love the smell of Pre-mix in the morning!"

·
Registered
215 Posts
I went to a tire store and got a huge tire bag, nice and sturdy. it covers my pb well and minimizes the smell. turning off the fuel valve helps too. if you can't get a tire back, go down to a thrift store, or goodwill and get a thick wool blanket. it covers up nicely, keeps scratches off, and keeps the fuel smell down.

·
Registered
289 Posts
What i do is dump the gas out...back into the gas can..just pull the gas hose from the carb and drain it.:)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. Thats a good point about turning off the petcock and closing the choke. Never though of that. Actually on one of my cags, i have a walbro carb without a petcock or choke but return like was open to air. I didnt realize what it was cause i had someone put it in for me and they left it open so when i primed it to much, damn thing squirted me with fuel. after i figured out what it was and that it was pointing right at me, i bought a "T" and teed it back into the incoming line. no open air, and smell has reduced....or maybe it was also the few sprays of lysol bathroom deoderizer before bringing it back to the garage.

Also, I think the odor i get is also from the tire compound...

·
Registered
50 Posts
My stock cag tires smell kinda weird too. When I first got the bike the whole house smelled of Cag tires. So I'm building a little house for my bike so it can sleep in my room now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I either run my bike till the gas is gone or just use a squeeze bottle (the stuff you use for Nitro RC's) to get all the gas out of the tank. I leave it in my room and all it does is smell like tires, but I noticed the smell goes away as you put more riding time on them so it's not a prob.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i was thinking of maybe a fire blanket.. my moms problem is she thinks "its goona blow up becuz of the gas fumes" oh god.. "make sure u open the front door b4 u turn on the light in the hallway.. its goona blow up.." i tried to convinve her that it was like a car.. and that they dont just "blow up" but she wouldnt have it..

·
Registered
289 Posts
Lol i think my stove is gonna blow up too..

·
Registered
78 Posts
yea.. better watch out for that!!

my BBQ mite blow up next time i start it..

then again.. she did tell me not to leave the bbq at the side of the house "cuz it my blow up"

she's so paranoid.. lmao..

·
Registered
78 Posts
oh!! i just thot of the best idea.. hubbout a big plastic bin? u can stack them and everything.. and if u get a good one it should completely seal in the smell.. and if ur scared of scratches or sumthin u just put a blanket or sumthin inside em.. that HAS to be the best idea.. i'll buy one tommorow!

·
Registered
50 Posts
That was my first idea was to find a giant square trash can/bin. But sadly I have searched everywhere for one that will fit my FF Cag and the only one that came close would only fit if I took the handelbars off and the windscreen. Let me know if you find one that the whole bike fits in without tearing it down. Home Depot has some that come pretty close.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i was goona check out revy.. or even wallmart should have sumthin.. if i cant find one that will fit it.. then i'll come up with a diff method.. but i think i should be able to find sumthin.. haha

u could always like.. mold a couple together.. EPOXY!!!.. hahahaha.. inside joke..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts