Pocketbike Forum banner

61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Re: overflow leak....again

Make sure you look in the hole where the needle valve seats.
Sometimes there will be plastic shavings in the hole preventing the valve from closing completely.
When the bowl is full the float rises and comes in contact with the forks which closes the needle valve.
Also your forks may be bent up too far.
Try this:
Turn off the fuel and remove the bowl.
Now turn the fuel on and push up on the forks until the fuel stops flowing.
If you have to push up on the forks and they go higher than the base of the carb then your forks will need to be slightly bent downwards.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Re: Leaking from overflow tube like CRAZY

do we have any how to's on this? maybe with pics? I know the float is on the bottom of the engine by the drain tube, but other than that... :(

·
Registered
15 Posts
excessive gas leaking out bottom...not sure what the part is called at bottom of carb

everytime i ride my bike (gp mx3 47cc)..after im dont the gas will leak out of the hose which im guessing is like the overflow or something..but it doesnt stop untill the tank is empty. is there an adjustment to stop it from coming out of the bottom hose on my stock carb..ive been clamping the line to hold the gas in when im done riding...anyone have any ideas lemme know thanx

·
Registered
532 Posts
Re: excessive gas leaking out bottom...not sure what the part is called at bottom of

try shutting the gas off. there should be a little petcock valve on the carb, (well depending of which carb you have) but iether way there should be some type of shut off valve.
the other thing is that if your carb is leaking gas out that much, you might want to check out your carb, give it a good cleaning, and/or drop the bowl and see if the floats are stuck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Re: excessive gas leaking out bottom...not sure what the part is called at bottom of

theres a hose that comes out the side of the carb like an overflow for the gas if the bowl fills up in the carb i guess...its a stock carb..when im done riding it has a continuous drip and doesnt stop till the tank is empty...

·
Registered
15 Posts

ok checking the floats sounds like a good idea i ll try that...the shut off valve works like crap....even when its supposedly off it still leaks..

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #67

ok checking the floats sounds like a good idea i ll try that...the shut off valve works like crap....even when its supposedly off it still leaks..
This is your problem.
The rubber in the shut-off valve is probably chewed up and the small bits have lodged in where the needle seats stopping your needle from shutting off the gas flow.
You need to remove the carb, disassemble the shut-off valve, inspect the black rubber seal for damage and clear the rubber debris from the needle seat area.

·
Registered
221 Posts

It is definitely the float in the bowl. Try picking the bike up about an inch off of the ground and dropping it. IF that does not fix it, take the bowl off of the carb and look at the float. Make sure that the float does not have any burs on it. Reinstall the float and bowl and see what happens. If it still leaks, try turning the float over.

·
Registered
215 Posts

Yes, it will leak out until the bowl is a bit empty. The reason its leaking is that the float armature isnt set properly. The float may be sitting too high, so you may want to bend this brass looking armature slightly, just enough where you still get good gas flow, but also enough to stop the constant gas run off.. Bend both arms equally about 2 mm down, away from the carb, 2mm should do it, maybe 3 tops.

·
Registered
15 Posts

thanx guys i appreciate all ur help i ll let ya know how it turns out in a day or 2..when i get the time to work on it

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #71

Think about it guys.
Why doesn't his petcock work?
I'm sure it worked at one time...is this correct ShockRock?
The rubber is torn inside the petcock and it has to go somewhere and that somewhere is in the fuel flow tract which passes through the needle seat.
His float isn't burred...his float arm don't need to be bent down (unless he has altered them previously).
The float rises to push up the forks which in turn pushed the needle up to seat to shut off the fuel.

·
Registered
15 Posts

yeah it worked at one time...like when i first bought the bike for maybe a month...ive had the bike now for about 2-2 1/2 months....so what do u suggest cafe racer? what u originally said take it apart and look to see if there is any torn rubber and clean it up around the needle seat? after i straighten that out do u suggest always leaving the valve on that way i dont have to worry about getting anymore rubber stuck in the seat or anywhere else from me opening and closing the valve? once again thanx guys yas are alot of help

·
Registered
215 Posts

Ya, these rubbers tear all the time, but I have always had the same problem with all bikes that come in for service. They say that it keeps leakin out of the runoff tube after riding.
He may have this problem with a chunk of rubber stuck in the carb too, we will see when he sends us the info in the next two days.
Anything is possible with these bikes, always somethin new to experience from other riders and shop owners.
If the float doesnt rise enough, this is the problem that occurs after shutoff of the engine. Or, the float may rise fully, but the stopper pin is clogged!!!
I could go on and on and on,,,,,,,, LOL
Lets wait and see.

·
You have no idea...
3,072 Posts

Think about it guys.
Why doesn't his petcock work?
I'm sure it worked at one time...is this correct ShockRock?
The rubber is torn inside the petcock and it has to go somewhere and that somewhere is in the fuel flow tract which passes through the needle seat.
His float isn't burred...his float arm don't need to be bent down (unless he has altered them previously).
The float rises to push up the forks which in turn pushed the needle up to seat to shut off the fuel.
I find myself explaining this all the time. This and to buy a good fuel filter.

·
Banned
390 Posts

ya stuck float, i always tell people who havent done the drillthrough on the fuel shutoff to do it, it has worked for me and i never use it neways

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #76

Most ppl use this valve religiously when they first get their bikes and eventually the seal will tear.
The key to preventing this in the first place is to add an inline fuel shut-off valve and leave the stock petcock in the on position.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts

Most ppl use this valve religiously when they first get their bikes and eventually the seal will tear.
The key to preventing this in the first place is to add an inline fuel shut-off valve and leave the stock petcock in the on position.
I currently have 2 stock carb fuel shutoff valves...

One of them I 'modded' and one of them is unmolested and has only been turned a handful of times... :cool:

I read stuff like this that you guys post and I LEARN from it. Because I actually read and listen to the advice of 'masters', my bike runs more and stays broken down less... ;)

Thanks Cafe, Cutlasskel, Everyone that helps out here... I appreciate the time and the expertise.

IamCornholio

·
Registered
15 Posts

yeah guys i appreciate it im prolly gonna get into it tonight when i get home from work....i ordered a pipe and reed last week hopefully that ll come in so i can throw that on while i have it apart..

·
Registered
37 Posts

I currently have 2 stock carb fuel shutoff valves...

One of them I 'modded' and one of them is unmolested and has only been turned a handful of times... :cool:

I read stuff like this that you guys post and I LEARN from it. Because I actually read and listen to the advice of 'masters', my bike runs more and stays broken down less... ;)

Thanks Cafe, Cutlasskel, Everyone that helps out here... I appreciate the time and the expertise.

IamCornholio

should i add one more shut off valve like yours because my bike is new and im using the original shut off valve alot lately and i hope i dont have 2 waste time fixing so if you would please tell me how to add another closing valve that would be more effective it would be great

·
Registered
1,219 Posts

should i add one more shut off valve like yours because my bike is new and im using the original shut off valve alot lately and i hope i dont have 2 waste time fixing so if you would please tell me how to add another closing valve that would be more effective it would be great

I got one of the inline fuel shutoff valves from DDM and that will work fine and allow you to stop using the stocker and still have a working fuel shutoff... You can also find these sort of parts at a local auto parts dealer. :)

The one I got from DDM was only @5 bucks or so and I like it OK but...
I really wanted one with 1/4" fittings to properly fit my big a## fuel lines and the DDM part had the small (3/16?) fittings and that sucked IMHO. :(

You can install the shutoff valve of your choice anywhere you like between the tank and the carb...

Cheap insurance IMHO. :)

IamCornholio (hope this helped some friend as I was trying)

61 - 80 of 116 Posts