Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mainly ride my GS-12 pocket bike in the desert/mountains here, and as such have not had the chance to push the limits yet.

I have found that the speedometer is accurate (with the help of a friend pacing me on his full size quad), though it is limited to 30MPH, and I usually go a good bit faster than that.

So I have a few questions, along with how far I have taken each so far.

Top Speed: What is the top speed ability of the GS-12? I usually go about 35 to 40MPH in the desert, off road. I know that the manual states 50MPH as the top speed, though I would like some real world experience numbers.

Load Capacity: How much weight can the GS-12 carry safely, while maintaining good speed and extra power? I usually have myself, an 80lb backpack, and 1 gallon of gasoline for a total weight of 213lbs, though I am sure it can do more than that.

Alternate Drive Train: What options are there for the drive train? Alternative transmission, sprockets of different ratios, etc. I am interested in both lower geared for better power at lower speed as well as higher geared for higher total speed (it obviously has the power to spare on reasonably flat land).

Other Upgrades: What other usability upgrades are there for the GS-12? Better carburetor? Lighter piston? Reduced head space? Hotter CDI? Hotter spark plug? Better exhaust (especially quieter exhaust)?

Troubles: What problems have people had with the GS-12? Would like to avoid problems as much as possible. I got my GS-12 used, and the clutch bell rotor was broke, due to the previous owner riding it after the clutch pads had been worn completely gone. I just went ahead and replaced the entire transmission, clutch bell, and clutch in solving this issue. Also mine came with a dead battery, though with a good battery all of the lights all work (though the previous owner cut the tail light set wires, so I had to rewire).

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Manual is wrong about top speed. Your speed seems reasonable. And there isn't really a weight limit but realize the more weight the harder it is on the engine and clutch pads. And yes lots of different gearing. And you can do lots of performance upgrades.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Manual is wrong about top speed. Your speed seems reasonable. And there isn't really a weight limit but realize the more weight the harder it is on the engine and clutch pads. And yes lots of different gearing. And you can do lots of performance upgrades.
Do thank you for the response. Do you know what gear boxes are available for the small 2 stroke engines like used on the GS-12? Also do you know what pistons and heads may be available?

Do you know if there is a standard dynamo available for the GS-12's engine (so I can get rid of the generator and CDI)?

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Ok so I am guessing your gs12 is a dirtbike style PB? Post some pics please. For the gearbox there is no reductions or and different gear ratios or any that I have heard of. You can get Big Bore Kits(BBK) for these engines and lots of other things. Boost bottle, CF reeds, Walbro style carb, tuned pip, etc. There is lots of mods you can do to these engines to make them FAST. There is many threads and lots of able members to help you with making your bike faster, more reliable, etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a street bike style, with the lower faring removed, and a small skid plate made from scratch for it. It has street tires, though it still does ok in the desert, I do need to get some off road tires for it when money allows.

Making it faster would be no good as it is already faster than I need, and with plenty of power on the high end.

I need some more power on the low end.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Then change your gearing. That is really about it. Or do performance mods on the engine that will make the whole power band better. It is hard to really only increase the bottom end besides gearing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts