Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

i started running in my new engine last night which has a two piece head kit fitted and found that it would only last about five minutes before running out of power, i traced this back to the head bolts and tightened them up, however it did the same again 5 minutes later. Whats the best way to stop this or will it always happen after a while with two piece head kits? my bolts clearly didnt have any locktite or similar on them so i've done that, but not tested yet, should this be enough? I'm thinking of maybe using some spring washers aswell (currently the head bolts have no washers at all) as i've always found them to be good when it comes to not rattling loose due to vibration.

·
GHETTO FABRICATOR
1,114 Posts
I would go with some blue locktite and if they still loosen use the locktite and the spring washers, no harm in trying them.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
With them 2 piece head kits you need to put each bolt in and just tighten them until each bolt just touches the head. Than you need to tighten each bolt a 1/4 turn in a criss cross pattern until each bolt is tight. Kinda like when you tighten lug nuts on a car rim. This will keep the head and dome straight and all bolts will be tightened more evenly. Ride for a bit and retighten bolts this should keep them tight after this.

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
With them 2 piece head kits you need to put each bolt in and just tighten them until each bolt just touches the head. Than you need to tighten each bolt a 1/4 turn in a criss cross pattern until each bolt is tight. Kinda like when you tighten lug nuts on a car rim. This will keep the head and dome straight and all bolts will be tightened more evenly. Ride for a bit and retighten bolts this should keep them tight after this.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

SOLID GOLD!!!!!!!

Excellent Brady, Thank YOU!

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
My first Boosted306 engine had two head bolt come loose, never had the problem again. I use SS slpit washers or star lockwashers on all my engine head bolts, and I torque the crap out of them, about 35 ft lbs, got to be careful not to strip the threads in the block though.

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
My first Boosted306 engine had two head bolt come loose, never had the problem again. I use SS slpit washers or star lockwashers on all my engine head bolts, and I torque the crap out of them, about 35 ft lbs, got to be careful not to strip the threads in the block though.
Or you could just "Ask the Bolts Nicely" to "Please Stay Tight" :confused: *cough* torque wrench!

NASA <----:rolleyes:

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
I don't know that it is 35Lbs, thats just a guess, I use a short 1/4" drive ratchet, so I don't over power it. First have to get it started right, and a criss cross pattern, carefully alittle at a time. Then start it and recheck again.

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
Nick, I have a 2 foot Snap-On Torque Wrench, in a nice plastic case, but its to big for these little engine. My Skil electric rachet & Black & Decker electric screw driver get a workout on this stuff, and all my battery & cord drills too.

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Nick, I have a 2 foot Snap-On Torque Wrench, in a nice plastic case, but its to big for these little engine. My Skil electric rachet & Black & Decker electric screw driver get a workout on this stuff, and all my battery & cord drills too.
Where the Pictures at, I *almost* did some work for those silly dudes before! a couple years ago as I recall... I've got a silly PICTURE somewhere!

My torque wrenches case is Metal, and was Made In The USA! haha

NaSa. ;):thumbsup:

·
Ninja Racer
2,767 Posts
well i bought a torque wrench when the 114 kit blew up
i had to get one in inch lbs to go as low as 12ftlbs, advance auto for ya
anyway, i have a zpf motor and i was thinking about taking it apart and going oooh and ahhh you know...
so what torque things should i look out for? i know that on the 4T motors if its tight then its good except for the head bolts
so, i wanna do this safely, i seen a base gasket, can i dump it and silicone if for more comp?
what is the head bolt torque?

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
well i bought a torque wrench when the 114 kit blew up
i had to get one in inch lbs to go as low as 12ftlbs, advance auto for ya
anyway, i have a zpf motor and i was thinking about taking it apart and going oooh and ahhh you know...
so what torque things should i look out for? i know that on the 4T motors if its tight then its good except for the head bolts
so, i wanna do this safely, i seen a base gasket, can i dump it and silicone if for more comp?
what is the head bolt torque?
The Smart AZZ NaSa answer.... engineered just to make you laugh blitZ

EXACTLY 5 ft/lbs before the hardware startZ to STRIP out of the $200 cylinder! hahahaha

Sorry.

Nicky. :p:thumbsup:

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
Allens are Great, have rubber coated T handle Metrics and an L set w/ a ball end on the long end for getting in at angles.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts