Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my cag out today, nice sunny day here in Ohio. Custom made an exhasust for my bike last night, runs great, lots of bottom end and all in all runs great.. until it warms up. When this happens I no longer can full throttle then after a couple runs it starts to even bog down low, even a 1/4 throttle is to much, gets to the point were it shuts down all together. Let it sit for 5-10 runs great till it gets warm again and starts the cycle over again.. so do these bike suffer from any kind of "heat exhuastion".. sounds dumb but as the night rolled on and got cooler out it started running great again, that and i sprayed some carb cleaner in it..

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Sounds like you need to enlarge the mainjet a tiny/tiny bit......Youre running a tad too lean...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like you need to enlarge the mainjet a tiny/tiny bit......Youre running a tad too lean...
thats kinda what I was thinking, were do you guys get the small hand drill bits to do that? Like a hobby store or something?

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
The brass is soft......I use an ordinary small safety pin........A very little does alot...If you go too much you cant go back so think twice,-plan twice,,act smart and slow when doing and it may take more than once.............

Theres also a c-clip on the needle you can adjust too................

On the bottom of the barrel youll notice one side has a flat spot and the other is u-shaped......If you match the flat side to the u-shaped side the carb will idle and tune way easier than it ever did............

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The brass is soft......I use an ordinary small safety pin........A very little does alot...If you go too much you cant go back so think twice,-plan twice,,act smart and slow when doing and it may take more than once.............

Theres also a c-clip on the needle you can adjust too................

On the bottom of the barrel youll notice one side has a flat spot and the other is u-shaped......If you match the flat side to the u-shaped side the carb will idle and tune way easier than it ever did............

I have adjusted the clip but didnt really do much, now this barrel mod i have no idea what your refering to.. are you saying dremmel the flat side to match the u shape side??

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
hkmotos has jet kits for less than $10 to your door, the long skinny ones .66-.72mm. Widgetsupply in Oregon, online. They have gauge drill sets and drill holder kit for $7 that goes from .3mm to 1mm, or .013" to .040" of an inch. a cag stock jet is .64mm or .025", do the math.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just an update

Well spent some time with my bike today, pulled the flywheel to find some nasty "glue" were the magnents are on the flywheel and also some metal sharpnel stuck to the flywheel magnents.. cleaned up the flywheel and sanded it all down and installed my rocket key from daves orphan sale. torqued all bolts down and fired it up.... wow.... what a difference... seems to have made a HUGE change. I also had a spare barrel for the carb that I shaped to match the U shape so.. Does re-shaping the barrel really make a difference? but thank you everyone for your help and getting my bike running properly..

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Re: just an update

Well spent some time with my bike today, pulled the flywheel to find some nasty "glue" were the magnents are on the flywheel and also some metal sharpnel stuck to the flywheel magnents.. cleaned up the flywheel and sanded it all down and installed my rocket key from daves orphan sale. torqued all bolts down and fired it up.... wow.... what a difference... seems to have made a HUGE change. I also had a spare barrel for the carb that I shaped to match the U shape so.. Does re-shaping the barrel really make a difference? but thank you everyone for your help and getting my bike running properly..
Yes it does.....What the unmodded barrel does is make you raise it higher than needed to get the engine to idle right.....

When this is done is raises the barrel higher which starts to introduce more fuel also which makes idle erratic due to overfuelling.......

Of course you can drop the needle to compensate as a temp fix but theres also an issue of losing throttle rate of opening also making full throttle being cheated because of the flat edge and having to turn the screw in so much just to get it to idle right......

Youll notice with the modded barrel the ease of startup,,,idleability and the way the powerband feels strong but smoother all the way up to wide open throttle which will feel improved too.......

Great job getting the bike sorted out up to this far and Keep up the good work............

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
Cam2, thanks for that piston mod, never done that before. On Sams 3rd stage w/ the WT603 in the L7 had to put a small sleeve on the idle screw to hold it open. Need to cut that little notch in the butterfly valve, so I have an idle adj. My A1 with sam first 3 strage kit has his, 14mm swirl bored carb w/ a .70mm jet clip in the middle, & it runs great.
I am modding one of my stock taper bored carbs now, will mod that black piston on the back side, now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts