Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone
Im new here but not new to building engines. I don't have a pocket bike but I do have a 1/5 scale RC monster Truck that uses a 49cc pocket bike engine and im looking at building to make more power. Im hoping I can find any info and help here. Thanks Mike

Super Moderator
welcome to the forem you came to the right place... we can't wait to hear about your RC car 馃檪

Banned
Hello Everyone
Im new here but not new to building engines. I don't have a pocket bike but I do have a 1/5 scale RC monster Truck that uses a 49cc pocket bike engine and im looking at building to make more power. Im hoping I can find any info and help here. Thanks Mike
Welcome to the forum....You came to the right place....Post up pics of what you have...

I built this one myself in 28 days but maybe 4-5 hours perday too...鈥︹.Its 2ft wide by a lil over 3ft long weighs 36lbs.Its pretty indestructible...Only thing that breaks a lot is the 1/4 scale metal gear steering servo.....LOL

It has a 49cc Mitsubishi clone engine modified with a Full Circle Crank,heavily ported,polished and blueprinted with a 6volt auto advancing ignition system,19mm Tillotson carb tuned on alky/methanol mix along with a bunch of other mods and its pretty crazy against my 31cc stroker in my HPI 5b that's also tuned on alky aswell.....

If you build a similar engine but reedport the piston ported cylinder and tune it on alky/methanol mix and that's when things get pretty much over the top on power...

It really depends on how much extra power you want aswell as how much you have to spend....

I even have an old-school Traxxas Monster buggy with the upgraded TL26 Mitsubishi engine and dual steering servos...Its a rare edition I got from a friend who bought it in Germany when he was in the service to kill boredom...LOL

Im still toying with the notion of switching the 26cc for a heavily modded 43cc but I don't think it will handle it without doing massive changes....

Registered
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Welcome to the forum....You came to the right place....Post up pics of what you have...

I built this one myself in 28 days but maybe 4-5 hours perday too...鈥︹.Its 2ft wide by a lil over 3ft long weighs 36lbs.Its pretty indestructible...Only thing that breaks a lot is the 1/4 scale metal gear steering servo.....LOL

It has a 49cc Mitsubishi clone engine modified with a Full Circle Crank,heavily ported,polished and blueprinted with a 6volt auto advancing ignition system,19mm Tillotson carb tuned on alky/methanol mix along with a bunch of other mods and its pretty crazy against my 31cc stroker in my HPI 5b that's also tuned on alky aswell.....

If you build a similar engine but reedport the piston ported cylinder and tune it on alky/methanol mix and that's when things get pretty much over the top on power...

It really depends on how much extra power you want aswell as how much you have to spend....

I even have an old-school Traxxas Monster buggy with the upgraded TL26 Mitsubishi engine and dual steering servos...Its a rare edition I got from a friend who bought it in Germany when he was in the service to kill boredom...LOL

Im still toying with the notion of switching the 26cc for a heavily modded 43cc but I don't think it will handle it without doing massive changes....

That is awesome !!!!! Nice Work !!!!!!! I have a million questions on how to make this 49cc engine make more low to mid range. Its a reed engine looks like the one in the pic of your pocket bike. Its a complete pig!! I didn't build this Truck it is made by PRIMAL RC but its my most fun RC I have. I have five LOSI 5T'S one with a OBR G320 FULL MOD and my other engines are a stock CY 29cc and the others have ESP Race Ported G340 (Stroked G320). What host do you use to add pics?

Registered
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Here is a quick vid of the truck. Hard to tell the size of this monster tires are 12" tall and 7.5" wide. Weight is 80lbs.

Banned
Here is a quick vid of the truck. Hard to tell the size of this monster tires are 12" tall and 7.5" wide. Weight is 80lbs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCOTEwEihws
Vid wont play but judging by the size of the remote to the tires and you stating its 80lbs youre gonna need one of these for it.....

This engine is roughly between 16 - 20hp...鈥︹..Power to weight ratio will be pretty respectable..

Another option would be a 50cc IAME/Parilla or even a 70cc high performance moped engine with CVT transmission...鈥︹..

This one is a hybrid built by me.....

These too

Good Luck

Banned
That is awesome !!!!! Nice Work !!!!!!! I have a million questions on how to make this 49cc engine make more low to mid range. Its a reed engine looks like the one in the pic of your pocket bike. Its a complete pig!! I didn't build this Truck it is made by PRIMAL RC but its my most fun RC I have. I have five LOSI 5T'S one with a OBR G320 FULL MOD and my other engines are a stock CY 29cc and the others have ESP Race Ported G340 (Stroked G320). What host do you use to add pics?
Thanks, I use post image to post pics....鈥︹︹ https://postimages.org/

From what I see that truck looks pretty cool...Whats the MSRP?

That engine youre using is 1.6hp for the 40mm cylinder and 1.9hp for the 44mm cylinder and the engines are made for trashpumps,brushcutters and ice augers.....

It takes a lot of mods and porting etc to get them to even 5hp on pump gas....Depending on your mechanical skills and tools you can add a few more....First thing is getting rid of the floater carb and get a pumper carb, modding the clutch also getting a rocket key plus replacing the stock sparkwire for one from an automotive set...

Modding the reedplate is essential too....

reedstopper mod

You might want to check out threads like these for more info as theyre going through the same thing....鈥︹.

https://www.pocketbikeplanet.com/167-general-pocketbike-discussion/112733-broke-rear-wheel-so-i.html

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I use post image to post pics....鈥︹︹ https://postimages.org/

From what I see that truck looks pretty cool...Whats the MSRP?

That engine youre using is 1.6hp for the 40mm cylinder and 1.9hp for the 44mm cylinder and the engines are made for trashpumps,brushcutters and ice augers.....

It takes a lot of mods and porting etc to get them to even 5hp on pump gas....Depending on your mechanical skills and tools you can add a few more....First thing is getting rid of the floater carb and get a pumper carb, modding the clutch also getting a rocket key plus replacing the stock sparkwire for one from an automotive set...

Modding the reedplate is essential too....

reedstopper mod

You might want to check out threads like these for more info as theyre going through the same thing....鈥︹.

https://www.pocketbikeplanet.com/167-general-pocketbike-discussion/112733-broke-rear-wheel-so-i.html
https://www.primalrc.com/raminator-monster-truck/

My mechanical skills I would say are good. I'm a self taught machinist I have a Bridgeport and a 12x36 lathe that I do all my custom Gun work on.
I might buy another engine since they are cheap and build that. I would love to put a better engine on this truck its too bad they chose this engine and not the standard RC engines. Mike Taylor at RCMAX is looking into fitting one of his HP/TQ makers in it.
A company called TMR is building these engines just for these trucks and are making pretty good power but for $1150 ill pass and built my own They are using a custom Reed and a HDA48 carb and a lot of work inside balancing the crank, porting jug , case etc.
I have a RCMAXX GT50 50cc Reed Case on order that makes 15-20hp soon as its paid off it will be built.
check these bad boys out expensive but worth it. https://www.rcmax.co.uk/
This RCMAX was just shy of $2k but I just cant see spending $1150 on one of these Chinese engines when I could make a little more power out of it myself with a little help. Lol

I'm not looking to get the most out of this engine I would like it to have at least double the power if not more but I don't want to make it unreliable.
I'm going to run a Walbro WT1107 Carb 15.88mm bore and a 13.5mm Venturi. I run these on my 32/34cc and will be running the same carb on my RCMAXX 50GT.

What would you say to do or not to do so I don't waste money/time?Lol I would love to just run a piston port engine cause I know they are torquer but not sure it would fit with the pipe being in the way.
I have a 3 piece , 3 port/ split transfer port reed case cylinder/head kit with a windowed piston that I just bought it looks nice but definitely needs some machine work to make it work. Any thoughts or info is much appreciated. Thanks again Mike

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Here a vid of a stock truck , a truck with a TMR engine with stock pipe and a TMR Engine with there new pipe.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Vid wont play but judging by the size of the remote to the tires and you stating its 80lbs youre gonna need one of these for it.....

This engine is roughly between 16 - 20hp...鈥︹..Power to weight ratio will be pretty respectable..

Another option would be a 50cc IAME/Parilla or even a 70cc high performance moped engine with CVT transmission...鈥︹..

This one is a hybrid built by me.....

These too

Good Luck
Holy Crap those twin carb engines are sick. How do they run?

This is the head kit I bought https://postimg.cc/ZW6G8SRL

Is it me or is that window too high on this piston? Also what do you think about deanodizing the head and dome?

Banned
the piston is fine, how many upper ports does the cyld have?? Does the main transfer ports have fingers?? The billet alum case engine highly modified by CAM2 about a 40cc with 40mm piston, just finished, adding the final touches.

Attachments

Reactions: MGP

Registered
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hello Everyone
I ended up putting a CY460 Piston Port in my RC Monster truck. All i had to do to make it fit in between the chassis plates was put the adapter to run Zen/CY pullstart and make new mounts and move the fuel tank back 2".
In the future im going to build a OBR Reed case or if i can find a Trevor Simpson Reed Case. I have to make a pipe for it now.
Anyone have any performance tips for these engines?

Banned
Hello Everyone
I ended up putting a CY460 Piston Port in my RC Monster truck. All i had to do to make it fit in between the chassis plates was put the adapter to run Zen/CY pullstart and make new mounts and move the fuel tank back 2".
In the future im going to build a OBR Reed case or if i can find a Trevor Simpson Reed Case. I have to make a pipe for it now.
Anyone have any performance tips for these engines?
The scooters those engines come off of have such tiny tires,and scream to the moon like race machines...Oh wait they are...

Their lifespans are very short too half of what a non-Zenoah based or CY based engine has...These are its specs..

Engine Stats: Displacement: 45.7cc. Power: 4.2+HP @11,000 RPM, 2.35 lb/ft torque @8,000 RPM. Fuel: 91 octane or higher mixed 25:1 with 2-stroke oil.

2.3lbs of torque and 25:1 mix..Wheres the room for power making fuel?...

My custom built 44mm bore engine with full circle crank definitely had a lot more than 2.3 lbs of torque and that drops off at 8000 rpm's.....In fact the torque surpassed the HP numbers which came on low lke it should and carried all the way up to 6000-6500 rpm's with a max redline of like 8500-9000 rpm's......

Heres my Zenoah based 45cc scooter.....It's not too keen on torque but revs to the moon...LOL

I tried putting larger tires on it but it just lagged down the engine

I had to scale it down with a smaller sawtooth design but the engine still lagged...

Unless you disassemble them and blueprint them you'll only gain more rpm's not the torque you need..

Unless youre gonna run that truck balls to the wall everytime and everywhere you run it that choice of engine will disappoint you...oh wait that might be why you're back....LOL

Not much can be done unless youre in for trading rpm's for torque and if that's evident and Im gonna go full circle and once again suggest the piston ported engine that has 44mm's of bore and 34mm's of stroke making a displacement of 52cc's then modifying that....

To make a screamer more tamer and add more torque you must change the porting drastically...That means chopping the top and using basegaskets under the cylinder to raise the ports up to enhance torque.......鈥..

The other is adding a 5:1 reduction box transmission to cut the revs down 5x which enhances torque too.,....If you do this I don't see that 80lb truck to go faster than 15-16mph maybe 19 or 20.....

EPR has a beaut for sale and I believe he's even mentioned it鈥.$215 shipped was a way better deal for an engine with better power to weight ratio than the engine you chose that has lots of lowend torque aswell as the ability of being made electric start...鈥...鈥

In the pic below of the two scooters below the differences between the two were the smaller scooter once rolling had intense pull that made you get massive arm and ankle pump...It maxxed out at 22mph....

The bigger scooter had an engine with a nice n healthy power to weight ratio and could rival the takeoff of a midsize car from a dead standstill with the 7:1 down to 5:1 CVT transmission that's coupled to it and that adds the weight of me [210lbs at the time].....It had a max speed of 49mph...

Second set of pics show the brute force of my Xtreme XG499 scooter engine as it effortlessly lifts my 220+;lb self off the ground with ease...It delivers the torque in a down-low and very manageable rate to be able to manage circle wheelies quite easily and pretty tightly too...鈥︹︹.

Last 2 pics are of what I was riding which wasnt very special compared to a lot of my other builds...

Good Luck and I hope you come to realize you're not taking into consideration of the total weight of your truck plus rotational friction losses from all 4 tires it has......You're working with pure hp and high revs...What you need is brute force torque.Tool engines can only give you that but you also need to do modifications to them to get more stoutness and stamina..

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The scooters those engines come off of have such tiny tires,and scream to the moon like race machines...Oh wait they are...

Their lifespans are very short too half of what a non-Zenoah based or CY based engine has...These are its specs..

Engine Stats: Displacement: 45.7cc. Power: 4.2+HP @11,000 RPM, 2.35 lb/ft torque @8,000 RPM. Fuel: 91 octane or higher mixed 25:1 with 2-stroke oil.

2.3lbs of torque and 25:1 mix..Wheres the room for power making fuel?...

My custom built 44mm bore engine with full circle crank definitely had a lot more than 2.3 lbs of torque and that drops off at 8000 rpm's.....In fact the torque surpassed the HP numbers which came on low lke it should and carried all the way up to 6000-6500 rpm's with a max redline of like 8500-9000 rpm's......

Heres my Zenoah based 45cc scooter.....It's not too keen on torque but revs to the moon...LOL

I tried putting larger tires on it but it just lagged down the engine

I had to scale it down with a smaller sawtooth design but the engine still lagged...

Unless you disassemble them and blueprint them you'll only gain more rpm's not the torque you need..

Unless youre gonna run that truck balls to the wall everytime and everywhere you run it that choice of engine will disappoint you...oh wait that might be why you're back....LOL

Not much can be done unless youre in for trading rpm's for torque and if that's evident and Im gonna go full circle and once again suggest the piston ported engine that has 44mm's of bore and 34mm's of stroke making a displacement of 52cc's then modifying that....

To make a screamer more tamer and add more torque you must change the porting drastically...That means chopping the top and using basegaskets under the cylinder to raise the ports up to enhance torque.......鈥..

The other is adding a 5:1 reduction box transmission to cut the revs down 5x which enhances torque too.,....If you do this I don't see that 80lb truck to go faster than 15-16mph maybe 19 or 20.....

EPR has a beaut for sale and I believe he's even mentioned it鈥.$215 shipped was a way better deal for an engine with better power to weight ratio than the engine you chose that has lots of lowend torque aswell as the ability of being made electric start...鈥...鈥

In the pic below of the two scooters below the differences between the two were the smaller scooter once rolling had intense pull that made you get massive arm and ankle pump...It maxxed out at 22mph....

The bigger scooter had an engine with a nice n healthy power to weight ratio and could rival the takeoff of a midsize car from a dead standstill with the 7:1 down to 5:1 CVT transmission that's coupled to it and that adds the weight of me [210lbs at the time].....It had a max speed of 49mph...

Second set of pics show the brute force of my Xtreme XG499 scooter engine as it effortlessly lifts my 220+;lb self off the ground with ease...It delivers the torque in a down-low and very manageable rate to be able to manage circle wheelies quite easily and pretty tightly too...鈥︹︹.

Last 2 pics are of what I was riding which wasnt very special compared to a lot of my other builds...

Good Luck and I hope you come to realize you're not taking into consideration of the total weight of your truck plus rotational friction losses from all 4 tires it has......You're working with pure hp and high revs...What you need is brute force torque.Tool engines can only give you that but you also need to do modifications to them to get more stoutness and stamina..
The engine EPR had i asked for photos of the bottom cause i believe his does not have any mounting holes where i needed them to be and would be a pain to fit.This engine is just for testing i want to see how much i can get out of it. There is a engine in the works that is a true beast it will be a 80cc 8 pedal reed , 110mm clutch but will not be cheap but is the engine this truck needs. With this stock CY 460 with the lowest gear setting maxxed out it goes 18mph and the highest gear ratio was 26mph but that was only 14000rpm . Im totally happy with 20-25mph this beast does not need to go any faster. LOL But i do want torque out of the hole. Im going to be porting this cylinder and see if there are any gains. Then make a pipe then go either OBR reedcase 47cc Stroker or wait and save for the big boy. Ill post the engine and videos of the 80cc when i can.
with a OBR reedcase 1mm stroke crank should rip pretty well.
ETA: The stock Cag engine with the low gears max was 11mph

1 - 14 of 14 Posts