Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello peeps from Chico ca here ! Glad to join the community .

New to pocket bikes , recently bought my daughter a mototec 50cc dirt bike/pocket bike it will start and run but after it warms up it sputters out and dies . It starts right back up she rides it 50-100 ft and dies again . It only has the idle screw adjustment externally not a high and low jet adjustment . I’m feeling like it needs some carb tuning but I’m a little under educated on this carburetor. Does this sound like a carb adjustment issue ? Also looking into doing this petcock delete I have read about . Someone said there is a delete kit that can be purchased here ? Is this still available ?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Welcome.
How old is the bike? Pictures?? Also petcock delete is great BUT not an available kit.
My first 2 strokes easiest mod or maintenance was an NGK spark plug. That alone solved a lot of problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome.
How old is the bike? Pictures?? Also petcock delete is great BUT not an available kit.
My first 2 strokes easiest mod or maintenance was an NGK spark plug. That alone solved a lot of problems.
Just unboxed haven’t done any tuning to carb ran 25-1 mix and then after I thought maybe it was just fouling out on too rich of fuel I dumped out the 25-1 out mixed up fresh 50-1 and still runs wonky I also did exactly what you said and ditched the Chinese plug and got an NGK . Guess it’s time to pull the carb off and try to adjust the jet setting . The spark plug is pretty wet when I do pull it so I’m feeling it running way to rich on the mixture.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just unboxed haven’t done any tuning to carb ran 25-1 mix and then after I thought maybe it was just fouling out on too rich of fuel I dumped out the 25-1 out mixed up fresh 50-1 and still runs wonky I also did exactly what you said and ditched the Chinese plug and got an NGK . Guess it’s time to pull the carb off and try to adjust the jet setting . The spark plug is pretty wet when I do pull it so I’m feeling it running way to rich on the mixture.
Does anyone recommend a carburetor they have had really good luck with . Also does anyone run the boost bottles ? How effective is it ?

·
Super Moderator
2,583 Posts
Most of the time it's just manufacturing debris that clogs the jet I know about it and always clean the carburetor out before I try to start the engine for the first time.

The engine should run great in stock form you should not need to change the jetting unless you've done something aftermarket to the engine.

Like I said before it should run great in completely stock form and bolting a bunch of aftermarket crap onto a brand new stock engine that has not been broken in properly is a really bad idea and is a quick way to set yourself up for failure.

I break them in at 35:1 because 25:1 is just way way too much oil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone recommend a carburetor they have had really good luck with . Also does anyone run the boost bottles ? How effective is it ?
Also
Most of the time it's just manufacturing debris that clogs the jet I know about it and always clean the carburetor out before I try to start the engine for the first time.

The engine should run great in stock form you should not need to change the jetting unless you've done something aftermarket to the engine.

Like I said before it should run great in completely stock form and bolting a bunch of aftermarket crap onto a brand new stock engine that has not been broken in properly is a really bad idea and is a quick way to set yourself up for failure.

I break them in at 35:1 because 25:1 is just way way too much oil.
Ok 35-1 sounds like a good start how long should break in time be ? And I’ll get into the the carb and throughly clean it and try again .

·
Super Moderator
2,583 Posts
It takes about a gallon of 35:1 to get a new stock engine broken in towards the end you can start bursting up into the 75 to 100% throttle range.

Definitely check the bowl area and take the brass needle out and shine a light through it make sure that it doesn't have any obstructions

Check the petcock and make sure that it is not partially blocked as well.

Definitely do the high fuel flow or petcock delete mod if you feel the need to have a fuel shut off put one external on the fuel line...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yes 1 gallon it's good. I do two to three 10 minute heat Cycles. I let it run at idle for 10 minutes. Let it cool and do it again. And then I go ride it in a parking lot until the rest of the gallon is gone. I tried to stay in the 1/4 to 3/4 throttle range. Learned that from an old racer. Not really a wrong way to do it as long as you don't beat the piss out of it from the start.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts