Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Im from seattle and new to the pocket bike thing,so it looks like, and I guess im learning as I go with the various componets and such but im finding my self stuck on one of the two bikes that I just picked up in a trade that were used. one is a 2 cycle 49cc x7 and the other is a 4 stroke 110cc x18. the x7 is up and running but it needs a couple things like the upper and lower side fairings. the other, the x18 I have been in battle with to get up and running due to the wiring a mess and 80% not being labeled? :(so not being able to figure which plug goes to what or if even all the wiring is there.?:confused: after that hurdle that hopefully is figured out it will need side fairings also.if anyone could help with a wiring diagram or pics that I could actually understand It would be so so much appreciated. thank you to anyone that can help, and thanks also to everyone else.:)

·
Banned
24,169 Posts
Welcome aboard, I have an X18, but no X7, but a lot of other bikes including my avatar Italian mini moto 40cc water cooled GRC GP all alum frame racing bike. X7s are smaller w/ 8" rims and with a 49cc piston port 2 stroke 3hp engine and 70 to 80lbs of bike, plus rider weight they do about 25 to 28mph stock. There were some X7s that came with a 70 to 110 four strokes with auto or semi auto transmissions. Most of the China four strokes are a Honda clone horizontal one cyld engine. The 4 speed manual trans X18 will do 50+ out of the box, and has 10" rims depending on how many teeth are on your front sprocket, mine came a 17 and 38 rear. I now have 15/28 with a custom 28 tooth billet alum rear gear.
The 2 biggest problems on an X18 that will keep it from running is, the carb pilot & main jets are dirty or clogged, take the float bowl off take both brass jets and there tubes off the carb and clean them with cleaner and a wire or...... Take the floats and needle off clean the bowl and re-assemble the carb. I just change the whole carb on my 150cc GY6 4 stroke scooter. It would start up on the choke system and die. Took the bowl off yeasterday and the bowl & pilot jet was clogged. While I had the carb apart I got my gauge drills out and drilled out the jets which were .35mm pilot & 1.05mm main to 2 sizes bigger to .45mm and .1.15mm. When the other carb gets dirty I will try the bigger jet carb on it, the come really lean for smog.
Ok, First put a little gas down the carb or in the plug hole, kick start it and see if it pops or runs till it run out of that gas or stays running. If no pop, take the spark plug out w/ wire on, ground it to the engine, turn it over see if you have a good spark. If no spark, could be your coil, CDI or stator plate w/ magnet center rotor are weak. The stator plate has 6 coils, 5 to make 13.7 volts AC and a covered bottom one the powers your CDI which fires your coil. The CDI and coil run on AC, but the battery and lights and blinks run on DC, power wires off the stator go to a small black finned box, voltage rectifier that makes DC current to charge your battery etc. You can test your stator w/ a reg volt meter, for coils Ohms, the page will show & tell you how. Here are some dia. of your CDI and full and strip down wiring. It will run with a dead battery, my X18 battery has been dead 4 yrs. I kick start it and even have lights, but you are running off the stator, so the lights dim at low RPMs, but I don't ride at night so I don't care. The blinkers and lights are not road legal 15w headlight, my scooter has 2 35w lights w/ high beams and 2 running lights.
Oh, I almost forgot, the timing trigger, ( sensor ) can be damaged with the magnet wheel out of balance at high speeds and can be hit and wasted, thats your timing, it tell the CDI when to fire. On eBay I saw a whole X18 wiring harness for 30 or $35. A stator plate w/ new sensor is about $25 on eBay. You might try tncscooters on the www. .com, they have a lot of scooter electrical stuff, even the white plug kits.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for taking the time to help and answer a couple of the things I was unsure about, I got the bike running :) but as far as the lights,speedo,blinkers,ect I wasn't so lucky,due to the condition of my harness plus nothing is labeled:confused: im going to tinker around with it a little more and see what happens,if everything goes well my next step will be on my search of x7 or x18 fairing for it, do you know of anyone that has a good deal on either kind? i can post my progress of the bike and let people know anything that could maybe help someone else.again thank you for your help and diagrams.glad to be here.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
24,169 Posts
Wiring on these bikes are poor quality wire, and the contacts are all crimped brass. The vibration and weather over time loosen or get dirty. Anytime I have to fix a connection I solder it. A few months ago on eBay saw a new X18 wiring harness complete, about 30 or $35. If you haven't already, do a search on eBay for X18 super pocket bike parts. All my X18 plugs have labels on them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts