Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey wats going on. Names Ryan new to the site. I have a bike and im not sure of what it is. I kno its a 49cc. I got it from my girlfriends dad. He use to ride it around the drag strip. Said that it needed a little bit of carb work. So i said screw bought a new carb for it put it on. And it still dont run. It has a problem when trying to start. The pull start wont rotate. I took it off and when not on the engine it pulls just fine. So im almost thinking that the engine is ceased up. Any thoughts on what it could be? Pls let me know thanks.

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Welcome to the forum Ryan!

If you can upload a picture to Photobucket, or any other free hosting site, then grab the URL: www.photobucket.com/whatever/address/picture.jpg <--example then use the insert image button (just above where you type the message text) then we can see what type it is, and maybe even notice a problem from the picture.

so, if it won't turn over, it could be a serious problem, would you try something for me?

pull out the spark plug, try turning it over then, is it any easier? can you hear any scraping or anything when you try to turn it?

if that makes no difference, pop the rear wheel up in the air, and see if maybe the clutch is locked, if it turns over and spins the rear wheel that is a good sign that maybe the clutch is stuck open.

Good luck! I'm sure you can get it fixed!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the advice nick. im gonna try that when i get home. im working on uploading some pics right now. i gotta get an account and all. i was looking at some of your work. and you pretty **** good. also do you think that this site: minibikepartsnow.com is legit or not. thats where i got the carb from. and its the exact same and everything. but let me know if there is a better site to go to. thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the part of the body past the seat is busted off. but im gonna buy a new body for it.

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
I like "Bobtail" bikes any way, you should see our Yamaha FZR 600, it's been crashed (before we bought it) so we made some really small metal bodywork for it, ended up being a bobtail setup, We like it!

check out our supplier feedback section, just look at the store name and then view the poll results.

SUPPLIER FEEDBACK - Pocket Bike Forum - Mini Bikes

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
okay. ill check it out. could you tell wat type of bike it was with the pic? ill take some more tonight. i got the body off and im painting the frame black right now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so nick i took the spark plug off. tried turning with my hand and nothing. its moves back and forth. but will not full cycle. its maybe moves like an inch or two.

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
Nick? That's an A2 Cag, 47cc-49cc air-cooled two-stroker, with one serious bobtail .... You can tell it's an A2 by the square tube frame and the cheap chrome strips on the sides, not to mention the rear fender. A1's don't have all that. (An A3 - aka the GP RS-R - has the same kind of frame, but it has a shock absorber on the rear swingarm, too.)

Check the airgap first, as sometimes the coil will rub against the flywheel. If the airgap is fine, then pull the cylinder head off carefully, and see what gives. You may have something broken inside the engine, like a wrist pin or a piston ring. If that's the case, time to rebuild the engine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i actually figured out what was holding the bike back from acting like it wants to start. the reed was in there wrong. so i flipped it. i didnt see any damage. so i dont think i need a new one just someone put it in there wrong. but its still not starting. there is some gas in the tank. not much tho. anyone have any suggestions on what i could maybe do?

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
Have you cleaned the carb yet? A dirty carb is about 90% of the problem of these bikes not starting.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
its a brand new one. but i am gonna buy all new gaskets cause i know they need to be changed. do you know what the gas to oil ratio is for my pb?

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
Break-in mix: 25:1 (yah, it's gonna smoke)
You run that for the first four tanks, but don't open up the throttle all the way until the fourth tank. After the fourth tank, run 32:1 and ride it like you stole it. :D

1 - 20 of 59 Posts