Pocketbike Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at the different types of helmets. What would you guys recommend for some one who is just planning on learning on the bike. I don't plan on racing so the idea of full faced one does not sound ideal but I'm sure if I get use to it probably like it. I looked at dirt helmets, open face helmets and half helmets. What would be a nice helmet?

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
Best bet would probably be a full-face or dirtbike helmet. Even if you do decide to eventually move up to racing, generally full face is the way to go. I prefer the open-face ones myself, but only because I got tired of taking off my glasses every time I had to put on or take off the helmet. half-helmets ... stay away from those - they don't protect you as well as some people think they do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I've been reading a book about Proficient Motorcycling, since I'm seeing pocket bikes more as a step towards motorcycling. Even though they are their own class. So a full face one would be pretty good.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Full face would provide that extra protection from what I call a face plant. Open face will not protect from a possible shattered jaw and I won't even get started on those poser shells for sportbikes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Full face would provide that extra protection from what I call a face plant. Open face will not protect from a possible shattered jaw and I won't even get started on those poser shells for sportbikes.

Definitely true, I've wrecked my street bike three times and one of the wrecks my face would have been cheese grated if I hadn't been wearing a full face helmet. I love my Shoei helmets, saved my brain case more than once.

·
Registered
What's your poison? Mine is 40:1
882 Posts
Sorry to bust your bubble, This Thread is 12 years old and most of these people have not responded in that long. But in the US I have never heard of that helmet. All you need is a good DOT approved helmet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.