Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently traded for a pocket bike which I know very little about. It doesn't have a battery so I have to jump it everytime with a car battery. Anyhow, it SEEMED to have worked fine for a few runs, but I gave it some speed today, and now its leaking nonstop. It's all leaking out from a rubber hose that's connected to the carborator, and it simply will NOT stop.

My friend had the idea to maybe start it up and rev it a little bit to get a little gas going into the engine, but as soon as it started, the bike just took off, I didnt even touch the throttle to give it any gas, it just went.

I imagine I should take off the carborator and clean it out or something? I'm not entirely sure that's why I decided to ask people who know a lot more than I do before I start taking stuff off in which I have really no idea what I'm doing...

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you have a gushing gas leak lol NEVER NEVER start the thing up, you're lucky the thing didn't catch fire.

Anyways, I'm not really the "pro" you should be talking to but speaking from experience, if you have something you're unfamiliar with and you need to take it apart, take lots and lots of pictures. The more the merrier, you'll thank yourself later.

Also, if you're looking for help in this forum, posting what kind of bike you have would greatly help as well. If you're unsure, take a picture and post it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have a gushing gas leak lol NEVER NEVER start the thing up, you're lucky the thing didn't catch fire.

Anyways, I'm not really the "pro" you should be talking to but speaking from experience, if you have something you're unfamiliar with and you need to take it apart, take lots and lots of pictures. The more the merrier, you'll thank yourself later.

Also, if you're looking for help in this forum, posting what kind of bike you have would greatly help as well. If you're unsure, take a picture and post it.
I'm not entirely sure what kind of a bike it is, somebody previously said it was an X-12 after I posted a pic asking what kind of bike it is (the guy I got it off of dropped off the face of the earth, he's of no help) and it has a 4 stroke engine. That's all I really know. Here's a pic for anyone who can help me out at all. I need some replies please! Thanks!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ahh okay, I remember seeing that thread. If CAM2 says it's a X12, then it very likely is.

Also, about your leak.
Is it leaking between the fuel tank and the carb, or is fuel pouring out from the bottom of the carb?

I had a similar problem on my A2 (which isn't nearly the beast the x12 is) and the problem was the float inside the carb was stuck. If that's the case, and well, you should probably go ahead and do this anyway since it's a used bike, but you'll need to take off the carb, dismantle it, and give it a good cleaning. After a good going over, put it back together, and see if that helps.

Good luck :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahh okay, I remember seeing that thread. If CAM2 says it's a X12, then it very likely is.

Also, about your leak.
Is it leaking between the fuel tank and the carb, or is fuel pouring out from the bottom of the carb?

I had a similar problem on my A2 (which isn't nearly the beast the x12 is) and the problem was the float inside the carb was stuck. If that's the case, and well, you should probably go ahead and do this anyway since it's a used bike, but you'll need to take off the carb, dismantle it, and give it a good cleaning. After a good going over, put it back together, and see if that helps.

Good luck :D
"as beast as the x12" -- Are these bikes supposedly really nice or something? I'm new to the pocket bike scene and I only gave up a broken PS3 and a controller for this whole bike. The only thing wrong was it didnt have a battery (and it ran fine at first...) and now the leaking problem...

But how much do these bikes go for if they're running fine and are cleaned up? And its leaking out the hose from the bottom of the carb that doesn't attatch to anything, or called the "overflow tube" I believe.. Yeah I think youre right with cleaning out the carb and figuring out how to fix the float. Is there a tutorial or any directions I can follow if I do that? I've never done anything like this before how experienced should you be? Or maybe I should just have someone else do it for me who knows a little more about this

·
Registered
83 Posts
"as beast as the x12" -- Are these bikes supposedly really nice or something? I'm new to the pocket bike scene and I only gave up a broken PS3 and a controller for this whole bike. The only thing wrong was it didnt have a battery (and it ran fine at first...) and now the leaking problem...

But how much do these bikes go for if they're running fine and are cleaned up? And its leaking out the hose from the bottom of the carb that doesn't attatch to anything, or called the "overflow tube" I believe.. Yeah I think youre right with cleaning out the carb and figuring out how to fix the float. Is there a tutorial or any directions I can follow if I do that? I've never done anything like this before how experienced should you be? Or maybe I should just have someone else do it for me who knows a little more about this
Off the top of my head I'm not sure how much they go for, worth well more than a PS3 though, but I'm sure some google searching for X12's will answer that question.

If it's coming out of the drain tube then yeah, I'd say the float is likely stuck. On the main discussion page there is a carb cleaning tutorial "stickied" at the top, I'd say start there. I see that you're 19, plenty old enough IMO to tackle this job on your own. Besides, if you have someone else do it for you, you'll never learn anything on your own and one of the best things about these bikes is how easy they are to work on.

Only problem you could run into would be possibly forgetting how it goes back together but if you do as I mentioned earlier about taking pictures, you'll be just fine. :thumbsup: Just be careful when handling the gaskets though, they can be a bit fragile sometimes and can easily break apart. As for a cleanser, I've found that a cheap can of brake cleaner from your local auto parts store does wonders for cleaning out carbs. That, a rag, and an old tooth brush, you'll be in business. Just remember to take your time and don't do a half-assed job.

Once you're done with the carb, I'd go ahead and drain your gas tank and check the lines and filter for any debris as well. Trust me, there's nothing more frustrating than reattaching your newly cleaned carb and have it clog up on you again because there was crap in your tank.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Off the top of my head I'm not sure how much they go for, worth well more than a PS3 though, but I'm sure some google searching for X12's will answer that question.

If it's coming out of the drain tube then yeah, I'd say the float is likely stuck. On the main discussion page there is a carb cleaning tutorial "stickied" at the top, I'd say start there. I see that you're 19, plenty old enough IMO to tackle this job on your own. Besides, if you have someone else do it for you, you'll never learn anything on your own and one of the best things about these bikes is how easy they are to work on.

Only problem you could run into would be possibly forgetting how it goes back together but if you do as I mentioned earlier about taking pictures, you'll be just fine. :thumbsup: Just be careful when handling the gaskets though, they can be a bit fragile sometimes and can easily break apart. As for a cleanser, I've found that a cheap can of brake cleaner from your local auto parts store does wonders for cleaning out carbs. That, a rag, and an old tooth brush, you'll be in business. Just remember to take your time and don't do a half-assed job.

Once you're done with the carb, I'd go ahead and drain your gas tank and check the lines and filter for any debris as well. Trust me, there's nothing more frustrating than reattaching your newly cleaned carb and have it clog up on you again because there was crap in your tank.
Thanks for the quality response. However, this morning I took the float off the carburetor and cleaned it out and what not. I re-attatched the float, pin, and metal carburetor piece that I cleaned out. The pin that attatched to the float wouldnt stay in place, and seemed very strange how loose it seemed to hang on to the float. I re-attatched the metal piece anyhow and now the leaking is even WORSE than before.

Before it would drip every second or so, but now its just coming straight out it seems. It didnt really seem right when I put it back together, but I don't see of any other way... Are you supposed to put water in the float or something?

·
Registered
83 Posts
lol no water in the float.
Did you just take the float part off the carb and cleaned that, or did you take the whole carb off the bike and cleaned the whole thing? You're going to need to clean everything here for this to work. If there is still crap in the carb it's going to keep causing that float to stick on you. It needs to look brand new when you're done. I know on my carb the little mechanism attached to the float was rather flimsy, but if it's put on right, the bowl part of the carb (where the float sits) will hold it in place.

The reason I'm stressing everything to be cleaned thoroughly is because on these little carbs, even a small spec of dirt can cause problems. Another reason why I recommended you drain your tank, check the filter and hoses as well.

Used bikes are great in the sense you'll save lots of money compared to new, but at the same time you don't know how well the bike was taken care of beforehand. Because of this it's important to go through and check every single nut and bolt. The last thing you want is something going wrong when you're zipping down the street doing 50+. It can be VERY frustrating in the beginning but man, oh man, there's nothing like the first ride you take after you've spent the man hours needed to get it running right.

If you're still having problems I found another thread, written by SpyGuy, that talks about cleaning a X12 carb.
http://www.pocketbikeplanet.com/showthread.php?t=42158 Also, doing a search on YouTube with the terms "4 stroke 110cc carb" could turn up some videos that may assist you as well.

Thanks for the quality response.
No problem, I'm just mirroring the responses and help I got when I first joined the site with problems myself. :D
Good Luck :thumbsup:

- Joey

1 - 8 of 8 Posts