Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pocket bike was in storage for about a year and now it will start sometimes but mostly i have to start it up with starting fluid. When it does turn on it will only stay on for a while. After starting it over and over a couple times it will stay in idle. As soon as I turn the choke off it will turn off after a little while or when I turn the throttle it will just bog and shut off. I have cleaned the carb and replaced the spark plug. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Are you sure you made a good mix of gaz and oil ? is your idle too high maybe or too low ... I had the same kind of problems with my older pocket bike , we played with the idle and made sure there was not too much oil in the mix .. You could try cleaning your air filter too ..

·
Hooligan
8,578 Posts
I like the Iron Cross cap, CAM2. What was that originally?

·
Hooligan
8,578 Posts
Very cool .... I like it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very cool .... I like it.
Hey I saw this post on another forum:

******Petcock Mod # 2 (does not require an inline shutoff valve)

1. Disassemble petcock
2. Using dremel bit, deepen C-channel in white knob. (Not widen, petcock will leak.)
3. using 1/8" drill bit, very slowly and carefully enlarge all holes in petcock. You are NOT drilling through anything, just enlerging holes that are already there.
4. Clean with compressed air and reassemble petcock.******************

Im new to this and this seems like a more simple petcock mod can you make it a little easier maybe photos

·
Hooligan
8,578 Posts
That's MY petcock mod. I don't have photos, sorry, but it's fairly easy to do. I know several guys on here do the other one, and use a dime as a block-off plate to cover the J-B Weld.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's MY petcock mod. I don't have photos, sorry, but it's fairly easy to do. I know several guys on here do the other one, and use a dime as a block-off plate to cover the J-B Weld.
I know how to get as far as the point where you let the jb weld dry. So then what do you do next in simple terms.

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
Get a drill just bigger than the inlet hole to the fuel petcock and drill down to the bottom, Do Not drill all the way thru, Please. That will connect the hole to the float bowl. If your good you can drill the hole in to the carb where the petcock sets alittle to get more flow, I do it by hand watching the angle.

·
Hooligan
8,578 Posts
On the J-B Weld one, you run a drill bit straight down through the barb on top of the petcock, right through the bottom. Do this slowly and carefully so you don't angle off to the sides, and make sure you take off that rubber O-ring on the bottom BEFORE you drill. Basically, you're converting a valve into a straight pipe.

When I did the second petcock mod - the one deepending the C-channel in the white knob - I used a very small dremel bit that fit down inside the channel, and carefully ground out the bottom of the channel a little deeper. If you make the channel wider, or if you accidentally make it longer, the petcock will leak, because it's no longer sealing the holes in the rubber gasket underneath.

Just out of curiousity, which other site did you see this on? I'm on several pb sites.

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
Sorry about that, you do drill thru the petcock, but not while it is on the carb. all I know is it works great. DragPeg, where are you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On the J-B Weld one, you run a drill bit straight down through the barb on top of the petcock, right through the bottom. Do this slowly and carefully so you don't angle off to the sides, and make sure you take off that rubber O-ring on the bottom BEFORE you drill. Basically, you're converting a valve into a straight pipe.

When I did the second petcock mod - the one deepending the C-channel in the white knob - I used a very small dremel bit that fit down inside the channel, and carefully ground out the bottom of the channel a little deeper. If you make the channel wider, or if you accidentally make it longer, the petcock will leak, because it's no longer sealing the holes in the rubber gasket underneath.

Just out of curiousity, which other site did you see this on? I'm on several pb sites.
So after I drill through it am I done or do I have to install some type of shut off valve.

How long will the whole process take?

I saw it on pocketbikeforum.com

·
Hooligan
8,578 Posts
You will have to install a fuel shutoff valve above the carburetor, since you are essentially removing the one that is ON the carburetor by doing this mod. You can pick up the valves fairly cheap online or at your local hardware store.

I don't remember how long the J-B Weld takes to fully cure ... I think it's 24hrs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You will have to install a fuel shutoff valve above the carburetor, since you are essentially removing the one that is ON the carburetor by doing this mod. You can pick up the valves fairly cheap online or at your local hardware store.

I don't remember how long the J-B Weld takes to fully cure ... I think it's 24hrs.
So I just cut into the fuel line and put the in line fuel shut off there? Also I read something about a blocking plate and how you can use a dime for it but where does it go?

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
Yeah, just cut a short piece put it in between the petcock & your shut off valve, I make it short enough that the two almost touch, keeps it stiff so it don't flop around,lol. 24 hrs to fully cure, I put my heat gun on it right away without burning it helps it cure real good.

·
Hooligan
8,578 Posts
If you look carefully at the hole in the side of the petcock, it's about the same size as a dime. Put in the J-B Weld, put a dime over the top of it, and screw the cover plate back on - it works.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
If you look carefully at the hole in the side of the petcock, it's about the same size as a dime. Put in the J-B Weld, put a dime over the top of it, and screw the cover plate back on - it works.
Do I put the dime on so that it sticks with the jb weld or after the jb weld is dry?

Would it also help if I buy 1/4" fuel lines or is there no improvement?

Should I get a new fuel filter?

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
I run 5/16" line from the tank to a VW gas filter by cutting off the small tip on that side, On the other side of the filter run 1/4" clear line to your shut off and 1/4 down to the the modded petcock, and should not need any hose clamps, if you do add them where needed.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts