Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I recently bought a pocket bike (Said the model number was "GS-12" on the handle bars, looks like a cateye). It did not come with a pullstart. So I ordered a pullstart, and found out it kinda doesn't just screw on and work. I think I might be missing pieces? I made a quick video of what the pullstart looks like, and the other piece. I might be missing the start claw, the start spring, some gaskets? idk. Maybe I ordered the wrong pullstart? Please help, I will provide with as much pictures/videos as I can.

YouTube - ‪Cateye Pullstart help‬‏

Here's a video of me trying to electric start it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg2Bq2vnOgQ

the selenoid makes a buzzing noise.. maybe a dead/low battery? I would rather electric start it than pull start it..

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Wow, Good job on the tests, So....

I bet the battery is bad, if it had a decent amount of charge, it should not drop to much lower than 9 volts when it is working.

when you spin the engine by hand, is it jammed up or anything? that could cause a higher than normal starter draw.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried the pullstart, but it's really hard to pull and I can't even get the pullstart to really rotate... brand new pullstart piece, just it feels like the engine is stiff? idk it's hard to describe.

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Check the screws that mount the transmission...they may be too long and hitting the flywheel face..........

The coil mount screws may of loosened having the coil make contact with the flywheel.......

The starter motor itself maybe too oxidized internally and may need to be gutted......

You may also have to install the thin shim between the e-starter body and the pullstarter...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that's the piece i need! Because I put some bolts there instead of that piece and now I can get compression! :) but it won't start now haha. time to clean the carb you think?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The starter motor itself maybe too oxidized internally and may need to be gutted......
and what do you mean "Gutted"? That would be cool if I got the electric start working.

·
Registered
13 Posts
that's the piece i need! Because I put some bolts there instead of that piece and now I can get compression! :) but it won't start now haha. time to clean the carb you think?

Yes that ONE of the pieces you need you are still missing another piece with is also necessary.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

EDIIT:

What type of cat eye pocket bike is that? I've seen many of the cat eye's here and mine seems different like having the kickstand on the different side and not having support on the front plastic were the windshield is at. I saw that yours only has one chain and not the double chain, what is the main difference of having one chain?

Here is mine that I restored.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
ere)

·
Hooligan
8,578 Posts
Way to go, guys ... this is what I like seeing on the forums, everyone helping each other out. Don't worry, Sk8, we'll get ya back up on two wheels soon .....

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yea sk8 my cateeye has the two pieces that connect to the pullstarter like in JD's picture
thats why the pullstarter might not be catching

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yah JD we have the same cateye i think. the guy i bought mine from was a moron.. i spent more then 10$ on bolts and nuts that were missing from Ace Hardware, and half the parts are removed. it was missing a tail light, two side fairings, chain guard, seat pad, pegs, kick stand, and a lot of other stuff. so yours has two chains? Can you show a picture of the other side of your bike?

that part of the body with the hole in it is the part of the frame that you screw the fairing into, not the kickstand. well atleast i think lol.

and alright thank you for uploading the picture of the two pieces, i'll order the parts :)

thanks everyone! right now the carbs being clean because it wouldn't start up. I can pull it and its making that "PUH PUH PUH" noise when i pull it, so it's getting compression.

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
and what do you mean "Gutted"? That would be cool if I got the electric start working.
Heres a thread I did on it.....................I hope it helps out......

http://www.pocketbikeplanet.com/f47/how-removing-zenoah-engine-electric-start-58861.html

Your symptoms sound like either the carb is bad or the fuellines are on wrong and its a good possibility that your gaskets arent installed right for the carb or intake where mounted to the head...That small purgeport hole needs to pump an internal diaphragm in the carb to pump fuel into the engine..............Another good possibility is the coil is too weak to fire the engine under squeeze.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yah JD we have the same cateye i think. the guy i bought mine from was a moron.. i spent more then 10$ on bolts and nuts that were missing from Ace Hardware, and half the parts are removed. it was missing a tail light, two side fairings, chain guard, seat pad, pegs, kick stand, and a lot of other stuff. so yours has two chains? Can you show a picture of the other side of your bike?

that part of the body with the hole in it is the part of the frame that you screw the fairing into, not the kickstand. well atleast i think lol.

and alright thank you for uploading the picture of the two pieces, i'll order the parts :)

thanks everyone! right now the carbs being clean because it wouldn't start up. I can pull it and its making that "PUH PUH PUH" noise when i pull it, so it's getting compression.
Yes ill upload more pics tomorrow.

·
Hooligan
8,578 Posts
I believe for the most part, the Cateyes had the double-chain setup as seen in the last picture. If it only had a single chain, then someone has been messing around with it, possibly for an engine swap. For this particular frame, engine swaps are very common, as it requires little to no modification to accomodate a wide variety of engines. One of the more popular swaps is stuffing a Briggs&Stratton or Honda clone engine under the fairings, but the REAL trick is making it still appear stock.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hmm that's weird, that's stock? I'll have to look at mine. it has some white thing there instead of the teeth it's just round..

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
It's ok you guys, this is China remember, they Hand draw, copies of the plans, and toss stuff together, but it is still fun as heck.

Both are cateye's, one has the single chain, and the 2-chain uses the "Jack-Shaft" setup...

Both are fine, for different reasons.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts