Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i just finished my full 1800w brushless build, and i couldnt be happier with how it turned out, except for one small problem. There is a delay when turning the throttle. It takes about a full second for the motor to spin after turning the throttle. With this kind of power, its kind of dangerous. I could probably get used to it but if someone else rides it, i could see bad things happening. This is my first brushless motor/controller install, so im not real familiar with them. I dont have the 3 speed switch hooked up, i jist jumped the middle wire to what i believe is the "fast" wire. Honestly i couldnt really tell much difference when jumping the wires. Ive also read about "slow start" or something like that but didnt see a wire marked as such. Anybody have any ideas? This bike turned out amazing, and i'd really like to fix this throttle response issue.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I am also not familiar with the brushless, there was a thread I remember reading about the slow start. I'll see if I can track it down.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: after playing around with it today, it seems like the throttle doesnt do anything until its almost half way twisted. I believe this is making the delay more pronounced. If i hold the throttle just below half way, and then twist it, its pretty responsive. Maybe bad throttle?

·
Super Moderator
2,776 Posts
That sucks that you got one with soft start.

There is no way to disable it unless you happen to get one of the speed controls with a USB port.

You can still power launch with the soft start system.

Hold the break then pull the throttle all the way full throttle and hold it then when you release the brake the bike will literally want to launch out from underneath you!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mrkitty so new controller it is then? I was hoping not to have to tear it apart again and replace the controller but if thats what i got to do then i will.

·
Super Moderator
2,776 Posts
Yes unfortunately.

Make sure you message and ask the seller if the one they are selling has the soft start

If they pretend like they don't know what soft start is don't buy it from them or ask them if you get it and it has the soft start if you can return it...

One tip is all of the cheap cheap ones that are a little bit cheaper than all the other ones have the soft start because they know that nobody wants the ones that have the soft start and they try to dump them on unsuspecting people and then say that because they opened it and tried it they cannot return it.

Some of the cool Chinese sellers have the pic programmer and the software and can program it however you want it.

There are a few controllers that have a USB port but be warned on those controllers some of the software is it written in Chinese only...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
New controller on the way. Another chinese controller but different brand and supposedly no zero start function. I only buy on amazon for this exact reason. Old controller has been returned for full refund. If this one doesnt work out im gonna bite the bullet and get a kelly. I've put too much time and effort into this bike to not be 100% satisfied with it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
New controller on the way. Another chinese controller but different brand and supposedly no zero start function. I only buy on amazon for this exact reason. Old controller has been returned for full refund. If this one doesnt work out im gonna bite the bullet and get a kelly. I've put too much time and effort into this bike to not be 100% satisfied with it.
Hey did the new controller come in??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lol yeah, and it also had the soft start or whatever its called. Im gonna break down and buy kelly. I put this much time and money into the bike i dont know why im skimping on the controller. Both thise chinese controllers performed great. 30+ mph with enough torque to lift the front tire on accident. But i just cant deal with the throttle delay.

·
Super Moderator
2,776 Posts
Yep a lot of those controllers have soft start simply because they're actually designed for bicycle conversions and if they throttled up with instant torque like what you want on a dirt bike they would literally tear the spokes right out of the bicycle wheels.

More than likely you will have to get a USB or Bluetooth programmable one make sure you always test the software before you buy...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Haven't had your problem but did you double check the voltage range on your throttle with a volt meter? Could be the controller is looking for a different range of voltage than the throttle is outputting. For instance some controllers want to see 1-4.5V and some want to see 2-5V or some range in between.

That info would be on the amazon page or sometimes it is on the sticker of the controller. Throttle is going to be way cheaper to replace than jumping to a Kelly. That said, you do potentially get some other cool features with the Kelly.

When I first put mine together I found out my hall sensor had come unglued and the magnet wasn't close enough to get good response. 3 screws and some gorilla glue later and had it solved.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Koala thats a great question. But i did think of that. The delay is so noticeable i can go to full throttle and back to zero before the motor does anything. And when running, i can drop the throttle to almost nothing and it stays barely engaged.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bummer, probably that pesky slow start. Good luck with the Kelly, hopefully that gives the responsiveness you are after.

BTW, what batteries are you running? Just lead acid or did you upgrade to lithium?

·
Super Moderator
2,776 Posts
It would be stupid to not go with a programmable ESC kelly really is a good option

1 - 18 of 18 Posts