Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all new to the forum, got my bike used to bash around on for only £20 its a respol honda style

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I was just wondering, I also have a Chinese 49cc Mini Quad but it just burns the clutch out.

It doesn't move anywhere with me on it.

I weigh 80kg, my 49cc chinese pocket bike flys along with me on it, I thought the quad being the same 49cc engine would do the same, maybe not as fast but at least move....

Any ideas before I give up on it or are these just not designed to move adults?

Thanks

·
Banned
24,169 Posts
Sounds like your clutch arms have worn the pads down to alum, they don't work very good like that, lol. Sand your new clutch pads & clutch bell with 100 grit sand paper. Balancing the arms helps too, along with hp springs.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, how do I upload images?

The clutch was brand new from Amazon, I got the quad cheap it was only £40 as the previous owner said the springs kept falling off the clutch and he gave in on it... Problem was there was no clutch pads left so think it was over stretching and popping the springs off...

Fitted the new clutch got excited, hit the throttle and went no where pushed off with my foot and trickled along with the smell of burning clutch...

Like I said my mini moto flies along with me on it but yea I thought it might have been todo with the extra drag / axle etc it has to drive..

I will check my current cogs

Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
2,252 Posts
stock gearing will onley pull about 140lbs any more then that and that clutch is in there hitting critical mass

You should not have to push the mini quad to get it to start going and it's way more fun to have torque than speed

after 11 posts then you can upload pics its like that to prevent spam.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that

Ok so been to the garage and the rear sprocket is 54 tooth and front 14 which is pressed over a 6 tooth cog

What do you think i need to go with? Not bothered about top speed so the more low down power the better

Oh also noted down that for each rotation the clutch bell housing makes the front 14 tooth sprocket rotates just over 1/4 of a turn

Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found a 78 TOOTH one on ebay or can you go too big?

Also is a new chain needed or can the rear axel not be adjusted to accommodate the larger sprocket?

Thanks again

·
Banned
24,169 Posts
You have a 6 tooth 05T front and 54 rear and T8F 8mm chain. That sprocket is much bigger than a #25h 6 tooth so no problem, which gives you a final ratio of 9 to 1 a little to much for the weight you have. A 78 tooth rear would give you a 13 to 1 ratio, maybe a little low. A 6 to 72 is 12 to 1 which is what I would look for. Depends on how much top speed you want compared to low end torque. On my 110cc dirt bike I put a smaller front gear for more bottom end, and I can spin the rear tire out of the corners.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You have a 6 tooth 05T front and 54 rear and T8F 8mm chain. That sprocket is much bigger than a #25h 6 tooth so no problem, which gives you a final ratio of 9 to 1 a little to much for the weight you have. A 78 tooth rear would give you a 13 to 1 ratio, maybe a little low. A 6 to 72 is 12 to 1 which is what I would look for. Depends on how much top speed you want compared to low end torque. On my 110cc dirt bike I put a smaller front gear for more bottom end, and I can spin the rear tire out of the corners.
Thanks so because the 14 tooth front sprocket is pressed over the 6 tooth one on the front its classed as a 6 tooth?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh also how do I choose the correct length chain for the 72 tooth sprocket ? Do I just measure the current one and add the length of 18 links? (difference between 54 and 72 tooth sprocket)

Thanks

·
Banned
24,169 Posts
If they pressed a 14T 8mm over a 6T Cag pinion on Cag clutch housing sounds like trouble to me. What ever you do the front gear has to line up with you rear sprocket, I need to see some photos your almost to 11 post. If you add the trans with the inner sprocket will it line up?? You can add chain, I buy mine 10ft at a time with a few master links and use my 4 1/2" angle grinder to grind the chain pins down.

·
Banned
24,169 Posts
That's where you confused me. That is a 15mm/ 6 spline trans shaft, not 6 tooth gear and the one you show looks like it has a #25h sprocket, the smallest gear for it is 11 tooth which would help you with more low end. Fine a #25 / 72 tooth rear sprocket if you want to go lower. The Repsol is an MT-A2 full fairing Cagillari Daytona, and your mini quad/ATV.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's where you confused me. That is a 15mm/ 6 spline trans shaft, not 6 tooth gear and the one you show looks like it has a #25h sprocket, the smallest gear for it is 11 tooth which would help you with more low end. Fine a #25 / 72 tooth rear sprocket if you want to go lower. The Repsol is an MT-A2 full fairing Cagillari Daytona, and your mini quad/ATV.
Thanks thats great. so hopefully a 11t front and 72t rear will get me around? 🙂

Abit like a mountain bike small on front large on back and feels like little effort gets you going (but slow top speed)

Oh would it be a 6mm chain? Or 8?

Thanks again happy Christmas

1 - 20 of 30 Posts