Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am going to look at a pocket bike today and he says it doesnt run and just needs gas and a spark plug, how can i tell if the engine is blown on it or not?

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Check the compression and see if everything works and sounds normally when pullstarted..............You could also bring some ether and shoot some through the rear of the carb and see if itll run on the spot.............

·
Registered
177 Posts
If you are worried about it, I would reconcider unless its at a really reasonable price.

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
Find out if the engine turns over. If it's stuck, you may be looking at a blown engine. However, this is not the end of the world, as engines can be rebuilt. The bike may be used as a "roller" for another engine, or as a parts bike.

·
Registered
51 Posts
hey guys, for some reason i'm not allowed to post any new threads. I'm new. i just bought a super pocket bike x7 110cc for 90 dollars. the guy told me he doesn't know anything about it. how can i check if the engine is blown. also how do i check the compression.

thanks guys let me know

·
Registered
346 Posts
grab the pullstart and pull it slowly. If theres compression it will get harder to pull slightly then the pressure will release and it will be easy to pull again.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If the engine is blown, when you kickstart it, you will just hear a "woosh-woosh-woosh" and the engine will sound like it is still spinning after you have stopped. You can pull the spark plug out, put your finger over the plug hole and kick it over. If it sucks on your finger and then pushes it away, you have compression. You can buy a compression gauge at any auto parts store that you can thread into the spark plug hole and crank it over. That will give you the exact amount of compression your engine is making. You have to ask someone else what readings you should be looking for.

·
Registered
346 Posts
On a 110 or just about any small 4 stroke engine you should be looking for atleast between 120 and 170 psi.

·
Registered
51 Posts
hi guys,

what if the compression isn't up to 120 psi, what part would i have to replace. and i will check the compression with the gauge. also can the carb need cleaning also. furthermore. what about putting a teaspoon of gas with the spark plug, would that help. i checked the compression, there's air there, but do i really need to spend the extra couple bucks to buy a gauge.

thanks guys

·
Registered
72 Posts
hi guys,

what if the compression isn't up to 120 psi, what part would i have to replace. and i will check the compression with the gauge. also can the carb need cleaning also. furthermore. what about putting a teaspoon of gas with the spark plug, would that help. i checked the compression, there's air there, but do i really need to spend the extra couple bucks to buy a gauge.

thanks guys

Low compression means you either have a crack somewhere, which you should hear, or your piston rings are shot. Not a difficult job to rering a 110 4 stroke, but not something you can do in an hour.

Compression gauge is not really necessary unless you are racing or need to know exact numbers. If it blows your finger off the spark plug hole, you should have enough to at least turn over.

Carb could need cleaning, but won't affect compression. If you have compression (established you likely do), then you need the carb to get gas and a spark. Spark is easy to check. Take the spark plug wire, stick the spark plug in it while the plug is loose (out of the threaded hole and in your hand), set the bent end of the plug on the head, and crank the engine. I advise to do this on the side away from the plug opening, just in case any fuel is in there. YOu will be creating a spark hopefully and any fuel in the piston chamber will be moving out. SPark + aerated fuel = fire.

If you have compression and spark and the engine won't kick, you probably have fuel issues. Rather than putting gas in the spark plug hole, I prefer to shoot some carb cleaner or starting fluid through the carb intake and seeing if that makes it pop over. Take off your air filter, open your choke, squirt some starting fluid in, close the choke, and kick the engine over.

Good luck

·
Registered
51 Posts
hi fordman84,

thanks for your fast reply, just had a question what is the fuel called for the carb. do i need both the carb cleaner and the starting fluid, i have a air filter cleaning spray. whats the starting fluid called, so i can go to my local Canadian tire, and try to start this bike up. LOL. also i checked the spark plug, last week and it's good. also when putting back the spark plug, all i need to do is just screw it back in, like i toke it out. i will let you know if it turns cover.

thanks

thanks fordman84

your the best!

·
Registered
51 Posts
hi,

also, i have been having problems finding the choke lever, there is a lever attached to the left side of the handle. which has a lever, that says no and off, is that the choke lever. when pressed, i see the wire pulling something from the carb. also i have attached a pic of the handle in my profile.

please let me know

thanks fordman84

·
Registered
51 Posts
hi,

i spayed some starting fluid called fire, i picked it up from my local wall mart. i took the air filter out and and sprayed in the carb. as i was kick starting it, the 5th or 4th kick, i heard a pop noise. i have no idea what happened. i need help.

thanks

1 - 20 of 54 Posts