Pocketbike Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I got my bike yesterday, heat cycled it 4 or 5 times cant remember, then I rode really slowly and let it col inbetween rides, then started riding a little quicker, still low RPMs though, and Ive been tanking it easy ALL day on it breaking it in, I wanna go out and see what it can do but I am not sure ive broken it in enough. weird thing is it seems like ive been riding easy FOREVER and still have almost 1/2 a tank in there. I guess its just lasting forever since I havrent hit WOT at all, cuz I know by now, this many hours of riding like i want to my friends bikes would be into their 2nd tank easy.

how much longer do I gotta drive it luike an old lady before I can start playing with all the broken in bikes my friends got.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, so towards the end of the full tank I can hit full throttle and get the RPMs up a bit as long as I dont sit at a high RPM steadily and dont let it hit too high of an RPM. I have been keeping the throttle varied so far everytime I ride, my neaighbors must love me, going around the neighborhood constantly revving a weedwacker.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what! mine is lasting FOREVER, and its smoking blue and I can smell the oil so I know its not really lean. maybe Im just taking it way easier than I need to. I am STILL on the first tank. havent ridden much today though, but every so often Ill get er warm and let her cool while I am doing some odd job aroujnd here getting ready for my trip.

·
PBP RACER
122 Posts
blueR1cag said:
what! mine is lasting FOREVER, and its smoking blue and I can smell the oil so I know its not really lean. maybe Im just taking it way easier than I need to. I am STILL on the first tank. havent ridden much today though, but every so often Ill get er warm and let her cool while I am doing some odd job aroujnd here getting ready for my trip.
You're scared like I was at first. You're pussy footing around on your bike. I did that and my bike was fine. But, most of my friends took theres out to our track and broke it in there. Since our track is tight you can't really get WOT for more than a short blip. They just use the track and improved their riding, turning skills while at the same time varying the RPMs of their bikes. None, of them had ANY problems with the break in or thereafter. ALL of our bikes are running fine. So, continue to limp around like I did, envious of your friends, or get on it some and have fun. Just don't peg the thing and hold it!

·
Registered
285 Posts
0 tanks, more like a teaspoon of gas. start it up, rev it up a few times, getting it higher each time. let it settle and take off like a bat outta hell. thats all you have to do to break it in. i mean you can do it for 2-3 tanks, buts its not doing anything special. its already broke in after the first minute.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alright, I have never had experiance breaking in anything other than tiny tiny 2 strokes in RC cars. I got the 2,5 max, broke it in like the sheet says exactly, and the f'in thing hauled and would pull wheelies from just about any speed, I could go, hear it shift to second gear, and then right after that Id nail it and it would almost flip on its back. then I later got a new 2.5 to replace it and didnt break it in as carefully, sped up the process and I got an engine wiht about no power, wont even wheelie form a stop and it gets SO hot, I just kept on richening it to try and get it to run cooler but it never helped, so I tuned it back to "normal" and just richened it a bit more. but it still sucks. then I got a new RC with a OS .18 in it and broke it in just like the sheet said to and that thing hauls ^$$ and its a single speed and if it has traction, it will flip onto its back at ANY speed. I can put on road hawgs, get to almost top speed, punch it and it will break loose and smoke the tires as it spins out. too much power to even use, and it goes fast so it isnt just undergeared.

thats why Im so hesitant to hoss this thing. I am into the 2nd tank now and I am starting to get on it more and more but still no top speed runs and still not much WOT. tomorrow for sure though Ill be hanging with the other cags

·
Registered
142 Posts
When you break in any engine... its really the first few minutes it turns on, now endays the way engines are fabricated, ur just really breaking in the piston rings...

just pull the cord a few times but done turn it on.. do it slowly.. finally turn it on.. let it idle for like 30 seconds then rev it a bit.... after about a min of that.. get on and let it ripp... thats what i did to mine... my motors fine.. it has approximately 73 miles on... by the speedo i installed immediatly after turning it on.. lol......

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
alright, I knew it wasnt as important sicne its not a non ringed 3cc engine that raves to 40k, but figured it would be more important than larger engines.

·
Registered
149 Posts
when i first got my bike all i did was go up and down the block a few times about half throttle and then after that i ran it at wot for at least 5 seconds(my block is kinna long) and even after stockton(first time there and i had basicly wot the whole track) my bike still pulls..top speed is only like 27.6 though. i dont know if i lost any mph cause my bike still paces wit all my other cuzzins bike.

when you break in an rc engine all you really have to do either heat cycle em or run em rich for your first few tanks..and with rc engines it depends on the ccs that give it is reall low end torque. since you said you have the 2.5 maxx( tmaxx monster truck) it is really a .15.. and with that engine it probably isnt even close to the power of an os .18 so break in isnt really all that a problem. its all in the tuning with your heat problem..

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
raceme00 said:
when i first got my bike all i did was go up and down the block a few times about half throttle and then after that i ran it at wot for at least 5 seconds(my block is kinna long) and even after stockton(first time there and i had basicly wot the whole track) my bike still pulls..top speed is only like 27.6 though. i dont know if i lost any mph cause my bike still paces wit all my other cuzzins bike.

when you break in an rc engine all you really have to do either heat cycle em or run em rich for your first few tanks..and with rc engines it depends on the ccs that give it is reall low end torque. since you said you have the 2.5 maxx( tmaxx monster truck) it is really a .15.. and with that engine it probably isnt even close to the power of an os .18 so break in isnt really all that a problem. its all in the tuning with your heat problem..
I know that my maxx is a .15, its 2.5cc's, and my OS .18 is a 3c. I am aware of all that, BUT I have had two pro 2.5's first one I broke in extra careful and it ran great, the second one I ony took it easy for two tanks, kinda easy the third and then hossed it and it runs like chit, I have tried tuning it but theres nothing you can do, its either some power and REALLY HOT or not much power at all and HOT. it will barely even get going enough to shift to 2nd, ive gone through it to see what could be wrong with the truck itself but it is the engine.

·
Registered
149 Posts
oh sorry bout that i just thought you was one of those newbies...i also go on an rc forum called rcuniverse.com and they have a few people that ask about over heating and how to break in there engines..and some times they have newbis that think there 2.5 is a .25..but yea mybad.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts