Pocketbike Forum banner

How to get an alternator to charge my bike while running?

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  EPR 
#1 ·
I was wondering where I can purchase an alternator to charge my battery while running. I've seen some bikes that charge themselves whilst running, I want that on my bike too and I'm pretty sure it's an alternator that does that. I'm new to this stuff, thanks! :)

#2 ·
Well most small engines that have charging systems have them built into the engines via a stator.. Alternators are used on larger engines cars and such.. Not sure about small bike alternators... But alternators are usually ran with a belt that runs to fans and such via the spinning flywheel...

What engine do you have?? On a X1 Cateye type the starter acts as a charger (Stator) after the engine starts.. Think it puts out 12 volts and a few amps when the engine is running.. https://www.pocketbikeparts.com/Starter_Motor_Version_2_p/x7sm302524.htm

#5 · (Edited)
If you have a 49cc two stroke piston port engine, the housing is a starter motor/ generator AC current thru a voltage rectifier to 12v DC, to charge the battery, and lights and stuff thru a fuse to a key switch. The engine runs on its own, a Mag system, all you need is a switched ground off the small coil hot wire to ground the coil and stop the engine. 4 strokes have a stator plate and 2 to 6 coils.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.