Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay so this is very simple and could save you a few bucks might not be as good as an actual one you would buy but still gets the job done.

Here is what a boost bottle does -

Air shoots through the carb on the intake cycle. Ignition accelerates the piston down closing the intake port. The (Intertia) of the air has to go somewhere , it goes back thrue the carb making the mixture double in richness. The results can cause hesitation.
because of the velocity of the air/fuel mixture going through the carb, we can use the momentum/inertia energy. The boost bottle provides a sealed chamber for preatomized air/fuel mixture. Now, when the piston moves up towards top dead center the boost bottle assists in filling the cylinder with preatomized air/fuel mixture for a term of a second until the carburetor venturi gets enough velocity to fully atomize the fuel.

The boost bottle boosts the speed of each cycle. It brings up the torque and horsepower in the lower RPM range.

- Reworded+ previous knowledge.

Things you could use for the chamber

-Co2 Cartridge
-small bottles

anything that could seal the air, easily be adapted to a tube and not much bigger than your piston.

Heres a little formula i found on another forum a guy used on a goped.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Volume of bottle=(pi*radius squared)*height
In the case of the G43, the volume is 41.5cc. I chose 1 inch for the
diameter of my bottle because it looks good. It's not too fat or too
skinny. Since the radius is half of the diameter and I want to keep my
measurements in common units, the radius is 1.27cm. Square 1.27 and
multiply by pi (3.141592654) and you should get 5.067. Now all you
have to do is set up a little algebraic equation and you'll get the
height of your bottle. It should look something like this:
(5.067)h=41.5
To get h by itself, you need to divide both sides by 5.067. You'll get
8.190cm which converts to 3.22" I rounded up to 3.25 to ease layout.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

but i just used an axe bottle for my latest project on a cateye (i will take it off and use a Co2 cartridge when i get one)

Your gonna need about 6-8 inches of 1/4 in tubing, a 1/4 in barb or two.

a drill and tap or a drill a bucket full of junk and some brains

You will also need to be tampering with your intake manifold ( i didnt have an extra when i did mine)

here is a picture of my materials-(sorry it was with my phone)

So your gonna start by taking your intake manifold and drilling a hole/ taping your barb i used a yellow wire connector , a plasticy rubber one, just about anything will work that fits the tube can be secured in a hold on your intake manifold, and can deal with some gas. Heres a diagram of what mine looked like after -

put a ziptie around the tube on the connector and on to the bottle !

then your gonna make sure that the tube connector in the manifold is air tight i used an aircompressor in the connector and covered the other to holes and the air couldn't escape

then i put the tube on like in the picture on the right of the diagram.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

now for the boost bottle, your gonna take the bottle or whatever your using im just gonna show the axe bottle.
now your gonna use a drill bit thats not so big that you can just connect the tubing to the tip of the bottle.

so your gonna drill out the very tip on the bottle so it looks like this when you connect a tube-

again sorry for tiny pic its from my phone.
i put nos on it real ghetto cause i m surrounded by ghetto neighborhoods outside my private neighborhood.

then put a ziptie around the tip of the bottle where the tube is connected ,

Next, your gonna need to mount the bottle somewhere above the carb so it drains down and the air can flow, make sure the tube isn't too long i put mine where most people do, my nos bottle will go on the other side.

heres mine ziptied down-

its amazing the difference on performance!

P.S AXE BOTTLES ARE TOO BIG

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
That's what we have been telling everyone, but there is always the guys that say it don't work,lol,lol. I had to jet 2 sizes bigger, from .68 to .72mm on my Cag w/ the Jet Pro exhaust. It makes all my engines run smoother and no fuel lag, thru the cases, past the crank, up the intake ports, around the piston and into the head, thats why the WT 813 Walbro w/ an accel pump works good.
On the piston port engine ( Zenoah ), there is no lag, the carbs bolted to the head and with my scooter and the WT813 & Jet Pro, it launches now. Anytime you change the exhaust, and hp air filter or what ever, you might need to rejet to make it run right, the outside air temp also.

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
I am sorry to be the guy who notices, but....

Did you remember to factor in the volume of the hoses / tubes? they do count...

If I missed that part somehow sorry!

ps

nice job on the math, that does sting a little! tell me you copy/pasted it, even if it's just to help me feel "less stupid" :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i used 1/4 in. tube... and the math is from another forum like i said, geeez nick put your glasses on if you wanna work your way to microsoft's new computer controlled diesel trucking Co. top secret p.m me for more.

·
GHETTO FABRICATOR
1,114 Posts

ps

nice job on the math, that does sting a little! tell me you copy/pasted it, even if it's just to help me feel "less stupid" :)
No actually Nick I believe you are correct. I see no measurements or alocations for hose volume. For the record here is a little chart imilatz.

Inside Diameter - cc @ 1 inch - cc @ 1 foot

1/8" (0.125) ------0.20 -----------2.41
3/16" (0.1875) ----0.45 -----------5.41
1/4" (0.25) -------0.80 -----------9.67
5/16" (0.3125) ----1.26 -----------15.08
3/8" (0.375) ------1.81 -----------21.72
7/16" (0.4375) ----2.46 -----------29.56
1/2" (0.5) ---------3.22 -----------38.61

As you can see 8 inches of 1/4 id tube will run ya 6.4cc. You would be surprised how much of your botlle cpacity can be eaten up by hoses. So you are looking for at most a 34 to 36 cc bottle. If you use more tube you will have to make a smaller bottle. Tubing isn't the best thing to use for a boost bottle either. Idealy you want the tube as fat and as short as possible. Too long a tube run creates resistance and slows down the charge negating the benefits.

Some of the best bottles I have seen were done by another member here CAM2. His tubing is fat and is extremely short almost non existant. Those bottles will show the true value of the bottle.

From what I see the math and calculations involved are complex and dumbfounding.

To make things easier why not go with the 1ml = 1cc.

There simple and easy.

There are several ways to measure cc's as liquid and make things alot simpler. Try looking for a bottle that says it has 29ml of product in it. There is a better than good chance it will actually hold around 35ml or 35cc. Adding in the tubing will bring you closer to what you are looking for in a bottle.

For the record this has been done umpteen times there are tons of posts ie this one.

http://www.pocketbikeplanet.com/showthread.php?t=59029&highlight=boost+bottle

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha thanks guyss but like i said, right above the math i found it on a forum, was too tired to read it over haha

·
Registered
316 Posts

ps

Nice job!

To maximize its effectiveness you will want to do the following:
use the shortest tube possible - there are losses to the pulse the longer the tube is.
use hard tubing not soft, soft will just flutter and not work.
use larger diameter tubing over small
mount the bottle with the hole pointing down and make sure to keep the tubing as straight as possible. Otherwise the bottle will eventually fill with oil and the tube might as well if there is a dip or loop in it.

Hugh
SDscooters

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Nice job!

use the shortest tube possible - there are losses to the pulse the longer the tube is.
mount the bottle with the hole pointing down and make sure to keep the tubing as straight as possible. Otherwise the bottle will eventually fill with oil and the tube might as well if there is a dip or loop in it.

Hugh
SDscooters
Dang, Thanks for "Keeping it Real" Hugh! GOOD info!

Nick.

·
Registered
199 Posts

ps

At the risk of coming out an arse, i will add on to what you said ;)

The volume of a bottle is not π r² h, it is the volume of a cylinder :)

Cheers!

·
Banned
21,744 Posts
Nice job!

Hugh
SDscooters
Something like these..........................?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts