Pocketbike Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
24,169 Posts
Check to see if your spark plugs is firing with it off and the wire on and plug grounded to the engine, and or new plug NGK BM7A. Need to spin the flywheel fast for a good spark. If you get a spark, put a little gas down the carb and try to start it. If the bike sat for awhile I would clean the carb float bowl and main jet and atomizer tube.

·
Banned
24,169 Posts
You have a 39cc China Blata clone, or C1 or MT-A4. Is it air or water cooled?? I have both but my C1 is the 50cc version.
The starter pulley has a spring that retracts the rope, if it breaks not going to work right. A new starter housing can be found for as little as $20. If the rope is bad, I use #6 chainsaw starter rope, you can rewind the pulley while still together if your slick.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,723 Posts
Unless the spring comes undone from the spool when the rope snaps you never have to take the pullstarter apart to install the new pullrope...

Seeings like it sounds like the advice is a moot point but info none the less you must get the spring wound back up tightly then put back into the pullstarter housing then try to guide the j bend on the spring into the spool then reattach with the bolt...

The spool gets spun tight then hole in spool lines up with the hole in the pullstarter,,the rope is fed into the pullstarter hole and fished out through the spool pulled about 5" knot tied then rope pulled tightly then spool then letgo of spool to wind the rope up......

If the rope is too long after it retracts it can be adjusted /shortened through the handle side...Good luck

·
Banned
24,169 Posts
You see the flywheel photo, and the water pump pulley in front driven off a pulley on the back side of it with a rubber 0 ring belt, make sure the belt is on and the pump is turning before you start it, and never start it without fluid in the engine. Take the carb and intake off and look in the back of the engine to see if water leak into the engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You have a 39cc China Blata clone, or C1 or MT-A4. Is it air or water cooled?? I have both but my C1 is the 50cc version.
The starter pulley has a spring that retracts the rope, if it breaks not going to work right. A new starter housing can be found for as little as $20. If the rope is bad, I use #6 chainsaw starter rope, you can rewind the pulley while still together if your slick.
its a aircooled version

·
Banned
24,169 Posts
I love the air cooled engine, I just built a brand new one last week from all new parts. My A/C engine is in a water cooled frame, it was a project bike I got from Boosted306, well known here but he retired from making modified parts and engines. Mine has the first type with two ring piston, now they use the same 37mm one ring piston same as the 39cc W/C engine. The 39cc A/C and 39cc & 50cc W/C all use the same crank and cases. No water pump for the A/C engine. The has a 37mm bore and 37mm stroke, which is what a call a square stroke engine, great revving engine. Can't find cyld and head for the A/C and same for the 50cc 39.5mm bore W/C.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey man I se you know a lot about pocket mini bikes ! I just bought my son a used one but it actually doesn't have a pull start on it I guess it broke off the guy I bought it from said he would just hook a battery up to it and jump start it and ride with the battery in hand ? right now all I see is where the pull start is suppose to be a round opening with like some sort of copper or electrical something going around a circle ? I have photos but I can't upload them .my number is 610-533-2985 I would pay you thru PayPal if you can maybe call me and tel me who I need to do ? if you have time if not I understand totally .thanks for your Time my name is gino in case you decide to call. thanks

·
Banned
24,169 Posts
You need a starter pawl and starter housing w/ pull rope. There are 2 major types, one with a round steel starter pawl and one with alum rectangle pawl w/ paddle. Not sure which one you need. CAM2 is the guy you need to talk too. here are some photos, these are pull start only engines, yours is electric start, and the pull start hooks to the end of the of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Unless the spring comes undone from the spool when the rope snaps you never have to take the pullstarter apart to install the new pullrope...

Seeings like it sounds like the advice is a moot point but info none the less you must get the spring wound back up tightly then put back into the pullstarter housing then try to guide the j bend on the spring into the spool then reattach with the bolt...

The spool gets spun tight then hole in spool lines up with the hole in the pullstarter,,the rope is fed into the pullstarter hole and fished out through the spool pulled about 5" knot tied then rope pulled tightly then spool then letgo of spool to wind the rope up......

If the rope is too long after it retracts it can be adjusted /shortened through the handle side...Good luck

Ok I am a woman who needs a clear cut explanation. The handle snapped off the pull cord. How the heck can I reattach it without removing the whole recoil unit?
Please use laywoman's terms❤
Thanks

·
Banned
24,169 Posts
If there is enough rope left in the housing you put the end of the rope pull it thru the handle hole, tie a knot pull the rope tight into the handle, let it go back in the housing and see if it work, you can also rewind the pulley with #6 chainsaw rope.

·
Registered
21,723 Posts
Ok I am a woman who needs a clear cut explanation. The handle snapped off the pull cord. How the heck can I reattach it without removing the whole recoil unit?
Please use laywoman's terms❤
Thanks
Welcome to the forum Krista...…..

If you have the end the handle broke off from you can pop the metal clip up then thread the rope through the hole in the handle and put a new knot...……..

If the rope is inside the pullstarter you cant fix it without removing the whole unit from the engine but you can do it without totally disassembling it if the spring didn't un-attach from the spool or snap....

My laymans/womans terms says to simply buy another pullstarter....Theyre cheap and easy to replace..

Good Luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
The metal part of my rewind broke where it's supposed to fit over one of 3 tabs in the metal housing. When I tried to bend the coil spring, it broke. I took my propane torch and heated it until it glowed red. I then cooled it off in some water and bent it into the same pattern as the piece that broke off. I put it back together, wound it counter clockwise about 6 full turns and then used a large C-clamp to hold it in place while it put the crank rope back through the hole with a NEW rope. Undid the C-clamp slowly and let it pull the new rope inside. That was 2 days ago and so far, so good. If it breaks again, I'll do a video and post it.

·
Banned
24,169 Posts
If there is a will, there will be a way.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay, SO .... You just got home after a long day at work, and you pull the bike out to go for a ride. You gas it up, set the choke, turn on the petcock, grab the pullstart handle and give 'er a mighty heave - SNAP!!!!!!! The rope recoils back into the pullstart housing, and you're left looking at the handle in your hand (more than likely using some very creative language ...)

So you figure, "I can fix this, no problem." You whip out your Allen wrenches and yank that pullstart off, but you can't reach the end of the rope because of the lip on the reel. What do you do? "Hey, I'll just pull out that little bolt in the center where the starter pawl is," and...... KABLOOEY!!!!! The spring flies all over the place, usually to the accompaniment of more creative language. NOW what do you do? ......

Not to worry - got ya covered. Here's how to repair that broken pullstart.

-Take the handle off the rope. You want to only have one knot in one end of the rope. (Of course, if the rope's already broken, you can skip this step ....)
-Get the reel and lay it facedown.
-Get the coil, and begin carefully winding it up so that it fits inside the grooved edge on the reel. BE PATIENT - this will take time.
-On the inside of the coil, there should be a little hook on the end of the coil. That hook matches one inside the pullstart cover when you put the two pieces together. The trick is to get the hook on the reel to catch the hook on the pullstart cover. CAREFULLY put the reel and coil inside the cover, and screw the bolt in for a moment to hold it in place.
-Turn the pullstart reel clockwise until you feel the hooks catch each other. Feel some resistance? Good, that's what you want.
-Take the bolt back out, and reassemble the starter pawl assembly inside the pullstart, then put the bolt back in and tighten it.

You should now have a complete assembly, minus the pull rope. Okay, let's move on ....

-Now, looking down into the pullstart, notice there is a hole in the reel off to one side. This is where your rope threads through. Grab the reel, and crank it around about .... four or five times, and try to get the hole in the reel lined up as close as possible with the outer hole in the pullstart cover.
-Take your rope (you DID take the handle off first, right? Oh yeah, it broke off ...), and thread it through the reel, then through the outer hole in the cover. This will be a little tricky, as you need to be holding the reel so it doesn't unwind ...
-SLOWLY let the reel start to retract, but don't let it go all the way. Does it look like it's drawing the rope all the way back in? If so, great! If not, pull the rope back out, crank the reel around another turn, and try again.
-Once you have the reel set to where it will retract the rope all the way, thread on your handle and tie it off. You're done!
I just bought a pocket bike that has a starter button and it’s not working I charged the battery and still not start and my pull start cord broke and I can’t get the center bolt out what do I do

·
Super Moderator
2,369 Posts
just be carful you dont brake the shank bolt there is no place to get them anymore china glues everything together with epoxy use a puller get it hot to the point where the glue starts smokeing with a propane plumbing torch than give it some love taps and it will come apart looks like the starters are going for about 45$ on ebay i think that's a waste since they don't last very long anyway just break out the magnets and take out the brushes and put it all back together with a new pull starter and call it good

21 - 38 of 38 Posts