Pocketbike Forum banner

How to: Rocket key

5K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  StrayDawg63 
#1 ·
The Rockit Key is an off set key that you replace with the key found in your crankshaft. By installing the Rockit Key, it assures you that your timing is exactly advanced 10 degree's.

Doing the advance timing gives more power to the engine, but doing it perfectly is almost impossible. The off set key assures that the flywheel will stay in place and is advanced at the exact degrees which the off set key is made.

Rockit Key Instructions.

1. Remove Fan cover with Pull starter still attached.

2. While Carefully holding Flywheel, remove the Flywheel retaining nut.

3. Screw the Flywheel removal screw into one of the the M6 Threaded holes in the Flywheel. Tighten until Flywheel Pops off.

4. Remove Bolt From Flywheel.

5. Remove stock key From Crankshaft.

6. Intsall Rockit Key into Crankshaft with the Advancement in a clockwise direction.

7. The Key must be in all the way into the channel in order for the Flywheel to be placed back on the crankshaft.

8. Reinstall Flywheel using socket to tighten nut pulling the Flywheel on to the crankshaft.

9. Reinstall Fancover and Pull Starter.

taken from
cooltrends.net
Warning.. i do not work for them, and this post is only intended as information.
with that said
like anything: //do the work at your own risk.\\

See less See more
#4 ·
Take A 2nd Look

Hey guys, I'm not trying to stir up any S***, but I think something may be confusing here. The link from Ryan seems to be a 47cc, Cag motor. I don't know what application the cooltrends refers to, but this is the Midbike forum and most of these bikes have the 43cc or 49cc engine, and the rocket key offsets counterclockwise (to the left), in the direction that the flywheel turns. Our flywheel also has an arrow on it (on the side that the clutch bolts to) that shows the direction it turns, unlike the flywheel in the pics. Please double check this info, and I apologize if I am wrong, but I just put 3 49cc X1 engines together with the key offset to the left, and they all run great. They sure don't feel like I retarded the timing.

#11 ·
more details please

i have been looking in to this rocket key thing for weeks now, on my crank shaft there is a little thinge that comes off it to hold the flywheel in place, but its stuck or part of it, i no looks like it comes off??? i dont get it, does it go on top of it, but it says it replaces it???? could it be that i need another crank shaft or even a motor, could it be that the rocket key doesn't fit in the X7 but i have herd of people putting it in??? the is deeply troubleing??? has any one got a picture or a hand drawn pic, with some great detail, it has to face the way it turns, i sort of get that??? could some one help me before i break some thing!!!!

thanks guys!!!!

#14 ·
when i fitted my rocket key i think i did it wrong somehow, when it idles it made a noise like the exhuast was hitting something but i took my pullstart off and didnt even have to use a puller the flywheel came strait off, and when i installed it i turnt the flywheel and the gap between it was un even, the flywheel looked wonkey and when i took it off the flywheel it had been killed completely there was a slight chip in my crank but it didnt make a difference luckly i had a spare flywheel so i put it on and i fitted it a bit better, the flywheel wasent uneeven and i think it worked, just when i pull my pull start it was quite stiff, and if i pul it slowley it would get get jamed when the cog engages but when i pull it faster it starts and i can hear sorty of the same noise i herd before but MUCH MUCH less a quiter i havent got round to taking off, what do you think is wrong or is this not reaally important thanks for the help leeroy rose

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.