Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, being my stupid careless self, I've messed up again! I stood my 2005 49cc Cateye up on it's back tire, smacking it's *** pretty good on the ground. The seat fairing is kinda cracked a bit more but that's all that I see damaged. However, after this occurred, I've noticed a drop in power from my bike. The acceleration is much slower and the top speed is down between 5-10mph! :eek:

Like I said, after giving the bike a good thorough look-through, I've failed to see whats wrong. Does anyone know what I might have done to cause this and how to fix it? Also, does anyone know the best gearing for acceleration on a 49cc Cateye?

·
Ninja Racer
2,767 Posts
is there an exhaust leak in the pipe?
2 strokes rely on the pipe for power so a leak somewhere might do what you say

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll have to check that over. Am I looking for an exhaust smoke leak, or oil leaking from the exhaust, perhaps both? Also, what effects would it have by removing the exhaust?

Thanks!

·
Ninja Racer
2,767 Posts
an air leak at the head mostly
if you took the pipe off it prolly wouldnt run, a four stroke would run but sound bad
the 2T need back pressure and the expansion part of the pipe creats a low pressure there which creates a vacuum that draws the exhaust out of the motor faster, making higher revs and power
a small leak it this system will have very noticable effects

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I had my dad take a look at it since he has quite a bit of experience, and he said he didn't find an exhaust leak. I took my filter out and cleaned it and also tightened up my throttle cable aswell as spraying my chains and sprockets with some WD40. None of this helped a bit.

Is there anything else that might be causing this drastic loss of power? If not, I guess all I can do is check it some more and if I can't find it, order a whole new exhaust.

·
Ninja Racer
2,767 Posts
its possible you have a cracked reed or something internal
any possibe carb setting get messed up? maybe an intake lair leak?

·
PBP SENIOR M!LKER
2,445 Posts
Find someone with a compression tester and see what PSI you have.. They say over 117 psi is good.. Mine go as high as 150. Those cateyes don't have reeds.. Check to see if you busted a gasket on the intake manifold or carb.. Maybe they wiggled loose? My Zenoah's run better without the exhaust, believe it or not.. It makes them super loud and they spray oily residue out the exhaust port and all over the rear tire and frame... Not so cool....

Good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is it possible there could be something wrong with the clutch? My dad told me he thinks there may be an issue with the clutch. There is really no acceleration or speed to it at all. If you stand next to it or lift the rear tire and give it some throttle it will move but thats it.

·
PBP SENIOR M!LKER
2,445 Posts
Open it up and see what the clutch looks like.. Sounds more like a carb issue.. I'd still check the compression...

Good luck..

·
Banned
21,742 Posts
sounds like your engine needs a quick onceover on the adjustments then a good tuning...pull the plug and post the color of the electrode..

clean the pickup coil and flywheel magnets,,,regap to .020"

clean or change the intank fuel clunker filter

change both of the intake gaskets

change the sparkplug,,BPM6A gapped to .030"

set the lowspeed needle on the carb 1/4 turn richer and set the highspeed needle to 1 1/4 turn out then highspeed tune it with the rearwheel propped up

·
Ninja Racer
2,767 Posts
Find someone with a compression tester and see what PSI you have.. They say over 117 psi is good.. Mine go as high as 150. Those cateyes don't have reeds.. Check to see if you busted a gasket on the intake manifold or carb.. Maybe they wiggled loose? My Zenoah's run better without the exhaust, believe it or not.. It makes them super loud and they spray oily residue out the exhaust port and all over the rear tire and frame... Not so cool....

Good luck!
oh, i was just guessing :D sorry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts