Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Señor Member!
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im really tired paying $13 per pound of wire.

1 pound= $13
10 pound= $60

if i go through 10 1 pound reels, its going to cost $130.

if i get a 10 pound reel upfront, i can save $70 in welding wire! WOW!

so i decided to dump that $60 into a 10 pound reel of .035 lincoln flux cored wire.

ive been trying to figure out the best way to mount the reel so that it is still PORTABLE. i really like the 90 amp flux because it has a handle, and you just can pick it up and carry it where ever you need.

many people have mounted the reel on a stand in back of the machine. if i did this, my machine would no longer be portable.

the least profile way to mount the reel, i figured, would be to keep a 1 pound reel on the original spot, and feed the 10 pound reel off the side of the machine and bend it around the 1 pound.

my machine is no longer under warranty so ive got nothing to loose hacking up the panels. i COULD always take off the panels i have hacked up and weld them back if i need to.

heres some pics... drilled a hole and bolted a electric scooter axle to the side panel to mount the spool. i might cut it shorter but for now i have another small reel on there to keep it spaced out.

so far in my machine's lifetime, i have about 10 pounds through it. i have spent more money on wire in one year than the machine costs brand new.

this setup works. not flawlessly. it bends at an angle but i havent had any feed problems.

ill see how it goes. i still want to make it better.... but now, it welds. :wai:

also, especially because the whole reel is exposed (and may be for an entire year) i added a cotton wad and zip tie to clean off the dust a little.

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
I personally would've drilled a small hole in the back of the machine, and ran the wire straight through instead of curving around the spool. As for making it "portable," ya ever think of building a welding cart .....? :p Use some cheap angle iron, like an old bedframe, and build up a stand for your machine. My wheeled stand is actually a very old mechanic's shop stool with a large tray underneath.

·
Señor Member!
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DUDE YOURE A GENIOUS.

now ive gotta find an old bedframe!!

AWESOME IDEA!!!!!!! i got a 14" chop saw so making it would be a breeze. and i could use the welder as is for now until its done!

·
Señor Member!
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
heres my welding cart! well not so much of cart. just some riding mower frame, machine bolts to that, and a mini moto front forks for the spool.

·
Señor Member!
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks! i need to get some longer bolts... and then it will be all done. for now i have bent nails to hold the welder onto the (whats it called?)

for now it will work. if i get the time tomorrow... i will drill the hole thru the back panel to let the wire go through the back of the machine, and it should be all good!

ill try to get a pic tomorrow. oh and btw. its really heavy now!

·
Señor Member!
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol, maybe some day i will get some better steel and make an actual welding cart. this is temporary i guess...

dont have any small wheels so i just carry it by the handle. my next one will have some kind of wheels...

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
lol, maybe some day i will get some better steel and make an actual welding cart. this is temporary i guess...

dont have any small wheels so i just carry it by the handle. my next one will have some kind of wheels...
Do it with tracks from a BOBCat, hydraulic drive with the cool remote control from the new ones! hehehe! ;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
I wanted to ask what type/kind of welder should i buy from Harbour Freights. I absolutely have no experience in weldind. I just need 1 that I can use every now & then for small projects & repairs on my mini quads like Bluethunders3320 welding cart (if I get 1). Here are the some of the welders that my Harbour Freights has. What are the pros & cons? In my case i was looking at the 90 amp.

Thanks Anthony

Attachments

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
You could weld alum if you got a gas kit for the welder, ?? $70 w/ argon

·
French Fries N Cheese
1,174 Posts
You can, but the quality of the welds with a smaller MIG welder is never as good. I'm into getting tools that last. My 150 amp miller I have in my garage is older than I am, still works like new... But I guess a steel welder would work just fine aswell, but it is harder to get a good temp for aluminum welds, since the melting temp is about half that of steel.

·
Banned
24,164 Posts
Your right about that, I hardly use my 70amp flux core but when your welding junk it's ok to use junk,lol. I got my gas & oxygen tanks filled, and weld most of the frame and exhaust stuff with my torches. So, much easier, no burning holes in thin China pipe, if it gets to Hot pull the flame back, much easier to see also, cause the glass in the goggles is much lighter than Arc.

·
Señor Member!
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
About a month ago I was welding with my 90 amp in the bed of my truck. The wire reel grounded because the stupid redneck stand grounded the whole welder. It smoked a lot of the plastic and the liner.

Needed a better welder anyway, so I dropped $500 on a Hobart 140 MIG welder. It works great! I welded a lot of the frame and the floor pans with it an it is solid. Not even using gas yet

I welded like 22 gauge with it and all I can do is short tac welds but better than the hf. 90 amp

1 - 20 of 20 Posts