Pocketbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HEY! new to engines/bikes/site/everything here! ....i just bought a full X1 (I believe its an X1 due to all the mechanical parts on it like starter pawl engine type etc) with a second frame and bored out engine...I got a few questions, as I am feeling the pain of the wiring problem! my brother helped me with re-wiring and the only thing we couldnt figure out is what to do with the ignition coil?? as far as I can tell it's a single prong and I've found some info on where the two skinny wires (not the fat one with the plug boot) belong to- one is the kill and the other is the ground? The key start was removed a long time ago so do I still need to have BOTH wired to something? Or where should i send them to?

The only performance stuff is mesh air filter and coilover rear shock...I have yet to ride it due to a homemade wiring harness that wasnt even wired up..had about 25 wire connectors all jumbled together, but we ripped everything out and made it look clean..IS THERE NO TRUE WIRING DIAGRAM FOR THIS BIKE???

I really hope someone can help with this ignition coil problem ..The local bike shop in taunton, ma kept telling me to throw the whole bike away and buy a brand new one even though I explained to him that I wanted it to start learning about them and that it was a perfect project for me...some people I just don't understand haha...

I'm also a bit confused on the proper way to mix the gas/oil? I have about a half gallon of gas and half a quart of oil..it's an old bike and believe I should be at the 32:1 point but cant figure the proper amount of oil to add to the half gallon....

A couple more small things....
How far open should the carb be in idle? it's currently about an eighth of an inch? I figured I'm gonna have to trial and error this..

Are the tires tubeless? they don't seem like there is air in them, though my buddy who is about 200-something pounds sat on the bike and they didn't really squish down much at all...don't know what the right PSI front/back is?

I have TWO chains..first one is short and goes from engine to a section in frame with a small sprocket..and then a longer/tighter one runs from that to rear tire...is this normal? and can I have it set up with only one chain?

I think that's everything I'm dealing with...SORRY BOUT THE LENGTH OF POST! My brother is a mechanic but can only help with so much cause he's never had experience with pocket bikes...only full size quads..

If there is ANYONE who can help with ANY of these problems pleeaaasseee let me know on here or email...
IM DYING TO RIDE THIS THING!! haha

Last thing- Can and should I put the bored out engine on the bike?? Everyone keeps telling me it will be WAAYYYYY better...

Again---SORRY about the length and size of post..im like a forum freshman lol
I have more pics at:::: www.photobucket.com/JoesPocketBike

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I'm not even sure if it is infact an X1...I just know that the starter is compatible with an X1 pull-start, so I'm pretty much guessing its all the same on it...that last pic is where I hit my wiring problem..two wires with the plug wire and my bro connected one to what I believe is the solenoid, which is connected to the battery..the other on is just hangin in the breeze haha

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It actually looks like a CatEye to me....
What exactly is a CatEye? I am a complete and Full Newbie with this..I only know about the extremely simple things like the carb and shocks..basic, basic, basic stuff that you find on anything driveable

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the CatEye better than X1? I paid $90 for the bike in the pics plus 2nd frame, tires/rims, handlebars, and bored out engine....DID i get a good deal? Or should I pay the kid a visit?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Its a Cateye super pocket bike
Wiring diagram for the bike can be found here:
Super Pocket Bike Wiring Diagram
The coil wires used to both go to the ignition switch as parts of a ground circuit. You can (correct me if im wrong here cam) connect one to a grounded switch and the other to the coil mounting bolt.
Idle speed is should be set so the clutch dings occasionally.
Tire pressure is stamped/moulded into the side of the tire
4oz oil to 1 gallon of gas is 32:1
It is possible to run a single chain IF you align the engine correctly and modify the frame. These had two so the chain did not rub on the frame

good luck
Hugh
SDscooters

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its a Cateye super pocket bike
Wiring diagram for the bike can be found here:
Super Pocket Bike Wiring Diagram
The coil wires used to both go to the ignition switch as parts of a ground circuit. You can (correct me if im wrong here cam) connect one to a grounded switch and the other to the coil mounting bolt.
Idle speed is should be set so the clutch dings occasionally.
Tire pressure is stamped/moulded into the side of the tire
4oz oil to 1 gallon of gas is 32:1
It is possible to run a single chain IF you align the engine correctly and modify the frame. These had two so the chain did not rub on the frame

good luck
Hugh
SDscooters

EXTREMELY AWESOME! I think you just solved all my problems! woohoo! :thumbsup::D:thumbsup:

I'm still curious as to whether or not I got a good deal- $90 for the bike in pics plus 2nd frame and bored out engine??? and would the other engine really be THAT much better????

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, And there should be one at the back too!

http://www.pocketbikeplanet.com/f82/setting-coil-air-gap-60440.html

:p:thumbsup:
That wire that you see hanging in the air next to the plug wire is actualy on the same bolt on the other side...right next to the plug wire...I just run it over to that bolt as well? the 2nd little wire comes from behind there and my brother wirred it up to the electrical box (not sure what its name is) that is attached to the top of the frame and has an unremovable plastic lid, with 3 wires coming out? I'm fairly sure he did that right, so that when the battery is hooked up to one of the other two wires from the box it can send spark down through and on to the spark plug?

I tried starting it up last night...but nothing :(

I had the battery hooked up to the wire going into box on top of frame..then the black wire hooked up to the wire that goes to the back of spark plug thing(i dont know the names, but its the thing that the plug wire runs into) then I grounded the loose wire you see...and I can get a drill on the pull starter bolt and I was trying to manualy spin it but it wouldn't turn over...

I assumed that the third wire was the negative charge from battery and grounded it as well..

If anyone understood what I just said, what did I do wrong?

THANK YOU GUYS SSSOOOOO MUCH FOR PATIENTLY EXPLAINING THESE THINGS TO ME!!!! :eek:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh I almost forgot...Had half a gallon of gasoline and mixed into it 1/4 cup of 2-stroke oil...just want to make sure I got those levels right?

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts
Oh I almost forgot...Had half a gallon of gasoline and mixed into it 1/4 cup of 2-stroke oil...just want to make sure I got those levels right?
This will help, hope I don't get busted for "HotLinking" !!

·
But who prays for Satan?
6,571 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

good luck
Hugh
SDscooters
If I'm understanding this correctly, there are two coil mounting bolts. The wire to the coil mounting bolt is already linked up to the bolt...where is the other end supposed to go? marcelo

·
Registered
41 Posts
the only thing we couldnt figure out is what to do with the ignition coil?? as far as I can tell it's a single prong and I've found some info on where the two skinny wires (not the fat one with the plug boot) belong to- one is the kill and the other is the ground? The key start was removed a long time ago so do I still need to have BOTH wired to something? Or where should i send them to?
If you are still dealing with the coil and trying to get it started, just leave both coil wires disconnected. Those 2 wires are for a kill switch, when they touch eachother it kills the engine, as far as I know, that is all they are for.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts